Help! Body damage from slipped jack - Opinions please! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Closer than you think
 
GR82DRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Help! Body damage from slipped jack - Opinions please!

My son, Me! was jacking his car with a cheap$#!t scissors jack that slipped (yes, he knows, and he just bought a floor jack). As you can see from the photos, there is fiberglass damage only to the lower panel of his Exige.

Two questions:

1. How is this repaired?

2. Does anyone know a good fiberglass repair person or shop in the Milwaukee/Chicago area?

THANKS!
Attached Images
  
__________________
2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
GR82DRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bummed
 
SwingLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,083
Wow, that sucks!

As for repair, many of us have used Dennis by me, but honestly, he can take forever. I'd probably recommend someone a bit closer.

Check with the Milwaukee guys. Also, ping TJ and Todd - I know there's a shop that was kinda near FVMC that was good.

Another option is Performance Restorations in Mundelein. They did the modification of my hinge panels (for the Exige mesh) and are great. They do show quality 'Vettes.

Basically, any shop that does Vettes (ie. fiberglass) can probably make easy work of it. Doesn't look like a starshielded area, so it would be a simple patch/fix repair with some primer/blocking and a paint blend. As far as repairs go, should be a piece of cake.
__________________
-'05 Elise (RIP)
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - FOR SALE
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp
 
Me!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,554
Also cost wise... Does this make sense to get insurance involved?
__________________
2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Also cost wise... Does this make sense to get insurance involved?
Depends on your collision deductible.

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp
 
Me!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Depends on your collision deductible.

San
Wouldn't it be under comprehensive? Either way, any ideas on cost so I know what to do?
__________________
2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 1,935
I would think that your insurance rates will increase as you were obviously at fault. No idea how much it would cost to repair.

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bummed
 
SwingLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,083
Rob - do you have a reputed body shop near you - maybe your 'Milwaukee Owners' know of one?

Maybe take it to a shop - one that has done Loti or one that does Vettes (Fiberglass) and have them give you an eyeball quote.

Can't imagine it would be much since a) no disassembly required (ala clams) and b) it's not in a starshield replace area.
__________________
-'05 Elise (RIP)
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - FOR SALE
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Closer than you think
 
GR82DRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
I would think that your insurance rates will increase as you were obviously at fault. No idea how much it would cost to repair.
I disagree. First of all, this is not a collision claim. This is a classic comprehensive issue. "Fault" is usually more of a factor in driving-related incidents. If rates increase at all from a comprehensive claim , it should be minor.
__________________
2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
GR82DRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
I disagree. First of all, this is not a collision claim. This is a classic comprehensive issue. "Fault" is usually more of a factor in driving-related incidents. If rates increase at all from a comprehensive claim , it should be minor.
You obviously have a dog in this fight, I don't. I'm guessing between fixing the body and paint/blending it will be at least a grand.

If someone runs a shopping cart into your car and nicks the paint it's comprehensive and not your fault. I wouldn't expect your rates to change.

Having your car damaged as a result of your own actions would be looked at differently I would think.

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Relapsing Honda fan
 
yellow99s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 1,201
"Two questions:

1. How is this repaired?"

Most likely by lightly grinding around the edge of the damage. Then they'll apply fiberglass reinforced filler, "Kitty Hair", to the depression. Grind to just below "flat" and skim coat with glazing putty. Prime, sand, paint. Ideally one would want to blend the color just into the damaged spot and then clear the whole panel but given the location and the potential for future paint edges lifting and causing a whole new, worse looking problem, I would just clear it from the bulge/body line down.
The other scenario is replacing the panel but that'd be crazy.
__________________
Just moved to Phoenix, anyone else here?
yellow99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Closer than you think
 
GR82DRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,838
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
You obviously have a dog in this fight, I don't. I'm guessing between fixing the body and paint/blending it will be at least a grand.

If someone runs a shopping cart into your car and nicks the paint it's comprehensive and not your fault. I wouldn't expect your rates to change.

Having your car damaged as a result of your own actions would be looked at differently I would think.

San
I agree that this could run over $1000, but insurance actuaries and underwriters are much more concerned about pursuing reckless driving and other potentially catastrophic driving habits than somebody who just slips and drops a large flower pot on their car. Driving accidents are considered more preventable and predictable based on profiled risk factors. Comprehensive coverage gets its name from the wide-ranging and unpredictable nature of other claims.

And just because Rob was at fault, the claim would not be escalated to collision status. This would be a violation of insurance code.
__________________
2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
GR82DRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
I agree that this could run over $1000, but insurance actuaries and underwriters are much more concerned about pursuing reckless driving and other potentially catastrophic driving habits than somebody who just slips and drops a large flower pot on their car. Driving accidents are considered more preventable and predictable based on profiled risk factors. Comprehensive coverage gets its name from the wide-ranging and unpredictable nature of other claims.

And just because Rob was at fault, the claim would not be escalated to collision status. This would be a violation of insurance code.
Actuary brings back fond memories of my co-worker's fiancÚ. European, intelligent, blonde, beautiful, built, well-to-do and an extremely nice person. He married well.

I won't pretend to guess what the insurance company will do in this situation. Best of luck.

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
anglophile in exile
 
Aedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oz
Posts: 4,789
Images: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow99s View Post
"Two questions:

1. How is this repaired?"

Most likely by lightly grinding around the edge of the damage. Then they'll apply fiberglass reinforced filler, "Kitty Hair", to the depression. Grind to just below "flat" and skim coat with glazing putty. Prime, sand, paint. Ideally one would want to blend the color just into the damaged spot and then clear the whole panel but given the location and the potential for future paint edges lifting and causing a whole new, worse looking problem, I would just clear it from the bulge/body line down.
Great description - thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow99s View Post
The other scenario is replacing the panel but that'd be crazy.
You're right - way more work to replace than repair - particularly as it is bonded on.
Aedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,352
Images: 2
i was quoted 2k$ for repair of a minor nose crack incurred while parking at a Tim Horton's coffee place, while i was driving x-country to BOE for mods. Crazy money IMO so we did it ourselves in 12 hours, including paint. Cost me $100 +/-.
Slightly different repair, but same idea.

Repaired nose crack - pics attached....
__________________
Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow99s View Post
"Two questions:

1. How is this repaired?"

Most likely by lightly grinding around the edge of the damage. Then they'll apply fiberglass reinforced filler, "Kitty Hair", to the depression. Grind to just below "flat" and skim coat with glazing putty. Prime, sand, paint. Ideally one would want to blend the color just into the damaged spot and then clear the whole panel but given the location and the potential for future paint edges lifting and causing a whole new, worse looking problem, I would just clear it from the bulge/body line down.
The other scenario is replacing the panel but that'd be crazy.
The damaged area is too large to just kitty hair it. I'd clean out the damage and then paste in a mesh backing. Then kitty hair, glaze, prime, sand, paint, blend, sand, buff, done. I agree that you should clear it from the body line down, but you'd only need to blend it out about 10 inches just to be safe. Remember, this is basically on the bottom of the car. The sun will cast shadows and it will be 99% unnoticeable unless you tell someone about the damage and they are looking at it with a magnifying glass... especially with that color.
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
JWA
'09 Exige Sport 260
 
JWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,064
Ouch! Sorry to see this Robert.

tesprit always swore by the guys at A1 Autobody right down the road from your office: https://plus.google.com/107180305050...ut?gl=us&hl=en. They've done all manner of work for him on everything from his Esprit to Elise. He even brought a car back from GA just to have them fix damage from an accident. They refinished the CF spoiler on an Evo for me and it turned out great, but that was the extent of my bodywork experience with them. Send Dan/tesprit a PM and he'll get you the name of who to talk to.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp
 
Me!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Ouch! Sorry to see this Robert.

tesprit always swore by the guys at A1 Autobody right down the road from your office: https://plus.google.com/107180305050...ut?gl=us&hl=en. They've done all manner of work for him on everything from his Esprit to Elise. He even brought a car back from GA just to have them fix damage from an accident. They refinished the CF spoiler on an Evo for me and it turned out great, but that was the extent of my bodywork experience with them. Send Dan/tesprit a PM and he'll get you the name of who to talk to.
Thanks Josh! I think I will stop over there later this week and have them look at it.
__________________
2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
The_Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Ouch! Sorry to see this Robert.

tesprit always swore by the guys at A1 Autobody right down the road from your office: https://plus.google.com/107180305050...ut?gl=us&hl=en. They've done all manner of work for him on everything from his Esprit to Elise. He even brought a car back from GA just to have them fix damage from an accident. They refinished the CF spoiler on an Evo for me and it turned out great, but that was the extent of my bodywork experience with them. Send Dan/tesprit a PM and he'll get you the name of who to talk to.
I used to drive past A1 every day to work. I saw some nice cars parked outside, if thats any indicator of quality. You'd think these nicer cars wouldn't be worked on if he had a poor reputation.
__________________
2006 Viper Coupe
The_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp
 
Me!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greg View Post
I used to drive past A1 every day to work. I saw some nice cars parked outside, if thats any indicator of quality. You'd think these nicer cars wouldn't be worked on if he had a poor reputation.
Thats good to hear! I'm going to stop in later today on my way to Josh's.
__________________
2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
metrocube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 839
This is at least a $3,000 job to do it right. Much of the expense and work will be with the paint, as it most likely needs to be blended across a portion of the rear clam, and the door, and not only the rest of the side sill.

The side sills are glued to the car, by the way. They cannot be easily removed or replaced. Very expensive to do that.
metrocube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.