Help replacing headlight bulbs - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Help replacing headlight bulbs

Heeeeelp!!!!

I removed the three socket head retaining screws, but the "cover assembly complete with rubber edge seal" will not budge from the body. Has anyone else tried doing this on their own?

The cover assembly seems loose at the bottom, but will not budge other than that.

Last edited by kidcool; 12-19-2005 at 09:47 PM.
kidcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Call me...

I'll walk you through it. Check your pm for my #

Alan
Matte Black, Sport, Touring, ***** intake (TBA), RAC Mono wheels, Painted Shift knob, smoked turn signals, Alpine SPS 6.5" rear speakers, MB Quarts, JVC Nav, Starshield, LBH exhaust, Dpic perf. gauge, Custom true HID projectors, GUT wing and splitter, Mesh side pods, Sector111 harness bar and 4-point harness, Lotus Sport Ohlins double-adjustable suspension, swaybar, '06 LED tailights, Toda flywheel, Lotusport interior.
Serebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Emailed you.
Matte Black, Sport, Touring, ***** intake (TBA), RAC Mono wheels, Painted Shift knob, smoked turn signals, Alpine SPS 6.5" rear speakers, MB Quarts, JVC Nav, Starshield, LBH exhaust, Dpic perf. gauge, Custom true HID projectors, GUT wing and splitter, Mesh side pods, Sector111 harness bar and 4-point harness, Lotus Sport Ohlins double-adjustable suspension, swaybar, '06 LED tailights, Toda flywheel, Lotusport interior.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Email bounced back. Sounds like you removed the screws that hold the housing, not the cover. The cover screws are 5mm hex screws.

Check out these instructions I posted in another thread:

Basically, I'd recommend removing the wheel for your first install. Then remove the front wheel liner. The housing will be exposed. You then have a couple of options. One, simply remove the three hex bolts, which will allow you to take off the plastic housing, exposing the assembly. The bulb is held in by a clip with two prongs which wrap around the bulb and snap into place. NOTE: Make certain you wear clean gloves when handling the bulbs - oil/grime will kill them. It's much easier IMO to remove the housing as well, as there's not a lot of room in the headlight cavity to work with the clips. There's a single screw inside and three more underneath in the proximity of the hex screws. In order to completely remove the housing, you need to unhook the courtesy light bulb and the high beam bulb. Do not remove these bulbs, simply unplug them, taking notice of which way the wires face. Remove the housing. Note the way the flat end of the bulb base rests against the post on the housing. Also note how the two "bumps" on the bulb base insert into the housing. Carefully unclip the... clips. Insert new bulb. Reclip. Reconnect the plugs, and carefully lower the assembly (if removed) back into place. Careful when screwing in the inside screw - it goes into a busing which can easily be pushed through. Reinstall all of the screws/hex bolts underneath, being careful not to over tighten the hex bolts which hold down the cover. Reinstall the wheel liner, then the wheel and enjoy your new headlight.

Let me know if anything is unclear or you need additional help.

Alan
Old 12-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks, my email is fastredlotus@yahoo.com
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

forgive me, I may be confused on what a 5mm hex screw is. Whatever I took off just cam off with a set of pliers. Would that be the wrong thing to undo?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebo1
Email bounced back. Sounds like you removed the screws that hold the housing, not the cover. The cover screws are 5mm hex screws.

Check out these instructions I posted in another thread:

Basically, I'd recommend removing the wheel for your first install. Then remove the front wheel liner. The housing will be exposed. You then have a couple of options. One, simply remove the three hex bolts, which will allow you to take off the plastic housing, exposing the assembly. The bulb is held in by a clip with two prongs which wrap around the bulb and snap into place. NOTE: Make certain you wear clean gloves when handling the bulbs - oil/grime will kill them. It's much easier IMO to remove the housing as well, as there's not a lot of room in the headlight cavity to work with the clips. There's a single screw inside and three more underneath in the proximity of the hex screws. In order to completely remove the housing, you need to unhook the courtesy light bulb and the high beam bulb. Do not remove these bulbs, simply unplug them, taking notice of which way the wires face. Remove the housing. Note the way the flat end of the bulb base rests against the post on the housing. Also note how the two "bumps" on the bulb base insert into the housing. Carefully unclip the... clips. Insert new bulb. Reclip. Reconnect the plugs, and carefully lower the assembly (if removed) back into place. Careful when screwing in the inside screw - it goes into a busing which can easily be pushed through. Reinstall all of the screws/hex bolts underneath, being careful not to over tighten the hex bolts which hold down the cover. Reinstall the wheel liner, then the wheel and enjoy your new headlight.

Let me know if anything is unclear or you need additional help.

Alan
Alan is spot on, my only comment would be that there is no reason to remove the wheel. Simply by turning the wheel you will get all the room you need to easily do the job. First time through it takes awhile, once you know how everything goes together, it's a 10 minute job.
kyohan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyohan03
Alan is spot on, my only comment would be that there is no reason to remove the wheel. Simply by turning the wheel you will get all the room you need to easily do the job. First time through it takes awhile, once you know how everything goes together, it's a 10 minute job.
Thanks for the tip. I am replacing mine this week and was not looking forward to taking off the wheels for this task
Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyohan03

You do not need to remove the wheel, but for the extra five minutes it takes, it make everything so much easier.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
You do not need to remove the wheel, but for the extra five minutes it takes, it make everything so much easier.
I have no problem at all with the wheel on. I would think that the hassle of getting the jack and jackstands, etc. would be much more of a hassle than squeezing you hand in there between the tire in the body...

Oh yea, after removing the Allen head cap screws, the cover may be hard to get to come off because it is "stuck" in place (almost glued). There is nothing to grab on the cover unless you can manage to slide something under the cover and somehow manage to not scratch the paint. There is, however, an easy way. Leave one of the Allen head cap screws threaded in a couple of turns. With the others out, push up/in on the screw, and the cover will pop up and come loose.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White

Last edited by TimMullen; 12-20-2005 at 01:41 PM.
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agree - it is easier to leave the wheel on once you know what you're doing. For me at least, it was easier to remove the wheel for my first go round, as I could get my head in there and get a lay of the land. After that, turning the wheel was sufficient.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I donít know if I necessarily agree with the not taking off the wheel. Especially if youíre going to take the light assembly out to make replacing the bulb easier (which Alan and I recommend). It also depends if you have AD07s or AO48s. When Alan and I did our lights together. I had no problems taking off the allen bolts with my base wheels on, but taking off the bolts with AO48ís is really cramped and taking off the nuts for the light assembly was almost impossible.

Itís also my opinion that putting the nuts (for the light assembly) back on with whichever wheel you have is also impossible without taking off the wheel.

jacob
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead
I had no problems taking off the allen bolts with my base wheels on, but taking off the bolts with AO48ís is really cramped and taking off the nuts for the light assembly was almost impossible
jacob
And that's WITH the wear to the A048's
Old 12-20-2005, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead
Itís also my opinion that putting the nuts (for the light assembly) back on with whichever wheel you have is also impossible without taking off the wheel.
Standard wheels, but absolutely no problem removing or re-installing the headlight covers with the wheels on.

And removing and replacing the bulbs is a bit of a hassle, but I wouldn't even consider removing the light assemblies to change the bulbs...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Standard wheels, but absolutely no problem removing or re-installing the headlight covers with the wheels on.

And removing and replacing the bulbs is a bit of a hassle, but I wouldn't even consider removing the light assemblies to change the bulbs...
Jacob is correct - big difference between A048's and AD07's.

Removing the light assembly is easy and does make it much easier to replace the bulbs, especially for a first-timer not familiar with the clip system. I'd say for an HID install it's crucial, as the bulb base is much wider and the clips are not intended for their use.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Win

Help! I removed the 3 5mm allen head screws and the cover won't budge. Do I need to remove something else?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win
Help! I removed the 3 5mm allen head screws and the cover won't budge. Do I need to remove something else?
Did you try Tim's solution: post #10 on this thread?
knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win
No, the seal is stuck to the clam. Just catch your finger nails into the top
edge of the lens seal and pull forward.Sometimes it helps to lift the front edge
of the lens slighty ( 1 inch ). It should lift right off once it's free.
All the best, Don
Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Win

Jacob, thanks for pointing out Tim's tip, worked like a charm. Don't know how I missed that one.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serebo1
It's much easier IMO to remove the housing as well, as there's not a lot of room in the headlight cavity to work with the clips. There's a single screw inside and three more underneath in the proximity of the hex screws.
Alan

Are you referring to the mounting nuts in sandsmuseum.com diagram?

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...headlamps.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)