Hennessey Venom GT sets new world record - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Registered User
 
ramtin1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Irvine,CA
Posts: 1,042
They keep saying fastest production car. This is not a production car, It's a kit car. they used the lotus chassy, used the corvette engine and bunch of mods to make it that fast. Take a veyron and add that much **** to it and it'll probably do this in half the amount of time these guys did. A production car is something made from scratch or at least something done from ground up with an outsourced engine. There is only one idiot that would pay a million for this car and that's Steven Tyler.
ramtin1000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Lotus F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fantasy Island New York
Posts: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin1000 View Post
They keep saying fastest production car. This is not a production car, It's a kit car. they used the lotus chassy, used the corvette engine and bunch of mods to make it that fast. Take a veyron and add that much **** to it and it'll probably do this in half the amount of time these guys did. A production car is something made from scratch or at least something done from ground up with an outsourced engine. There is only one idiot that would pay a million for this car and that's Steven Tyler.
True.. it's really not a production car.

I disagree Steve is an idiot. 1 million to him is definitely way less money then what most people paid for their every day drivers. It's all relative. It's no biggie fun for him.
Lotus F1 is offline  
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Registered User
 
Hextavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 686
Umm theres quite a bit of info on Jay Leno's garage, he surely did a lot more than just refab the interior.. I mean it really isn't an Elise at all. But this is by no means a production car. Whats the production numbers anyways? 10?

Still, I think to earn credit for a car you need to design and produce something on your own from the ground up. Otherwise as others have said its just a heavily modded car by some guy with a large pocketbook. Well watch the video and then flame on.

2012 Hennessey Venom GT | Video | Jay Lenos Garage | NBC
Hextavo is offline  
post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Registered User
 
RENDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Le Banane Republique (305)
Posts: 5,633
The only positive about this car is it going to put Lotus on the map!!

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
"Remember, If you don't laugh at your self, I sure will"
Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
RENDERMAN is offline  
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:17 AM
Registered User
 
The_Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextavo View Post
Umm theres quite a bit of info on Jay Leno's garage, he surely did a lot more than just refab the interior.. I mean it really isn't an Elise at all. But this is by no means a production car. Whats the production numbers anyways? 10?

Still, I think to earn credit for a car you need to design and produce something on your own from the ground up. Otherwise as others have said its just a heavily modded car by some guy with a large pocketbook. Well watch the video and then flame on.

2012 Hennessey Venom GT | Video | Jay Lenos Garage | NBC
Two things about that video: If you watch this and don't get the tingles near your bojangles (as Capt. Slow would say) from that sound, you're either dead or not a car guy.

The other thing is that near 11:30-11:45 in the video, you can hear the car sputter and hesitate!!

2006 Viper Coupe
The_Greg is offline  
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM
Registered User
 
Vulcan Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 4,210
Definition of a kit car is one that you assemble yourself, for your own use, not for resale.

Hennessey would have filed appropriate paperwork, I'm assuming, with state and federal, to formerly list himself as a manufacturer. He assembles the chassis in the UK, the engine in TX, and then does final assembly before delivery to a customer. So no, not a kit car... it is a production car just as RUF is a manufacturer, or Saleen.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE
http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse
Vulcan Grey is offline  
post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM
6i9
Registered User
 
6i9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,797
Hennessey hate on LotusTalk


Development stage: "OMG Blasphemy! This is an abomination, they ruined a perfectly good Elise! I wouldn't even consider that a Lotus anymore! Hennessey is a crook and a cheat!"

Venom GT goes on sale: "I am not impressed with the engineering of this thing, all he did was chop up an Elise and stick a Chevy engine in it! What a joke, totally not even a Lotus anymore! It can't compare to a Veyron, or a Huayra!!!"

Venom GT sets Guiness record: "Pshh it's just a Lotus! I mean, this car couldn't do what it does without the basis of it being a Lotus chassis! Not bespoke! Lotus should take credit for it, they're the production manufacturer it's based on! Hennessey is a crook and a cheat!"

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | Radium
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT-Lip | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Nitron SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE FF Rotors/Pistons | RC6
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
6i9 is offline  
post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6i9 View Post
Hennessey hate on LotusTalk


Development stage: "OMG Blasphemy! This is an abomination, they ruined a perfectly good Elise! I wouldn't even consider that a Lotus anymore! Hennessey is a crook and a cheat!"

Venom GT goes on sale: "I am not impressed with the engineering of this thing, all he did was chop up an Elise and stick a Chevy engine in it! What a joke, totally not even a Lotus anymore! It can't compare to a Veyron, or a Huayra!!!"

Venom GT sets Guiness record: "Pshh it's just a Lotus! I mean, this car couldn't do what it does without the basis of it being a Lotus chassis! Not bespoke! Lotus should take credit for it, they're the production manufacturer it's based on! Hennessey is a crook and a cheat!"
Leaving Hennessey's business practices out of it for a second...

I think the point is its not a production car. Its a very fast tuner car (and a grossly overpriced one at that).

I mean think about it for a second. The number of turbo f-bodies, turbo vettes, supra turbos, tt lambos, etc. That all have similar power to weight ratios, and were created by tuner shops for a fraction of what a venom GT costs. Why are those not considered in this "production car" top speed record?

440bhp E85 2006 Solar Yellow Elise.
The way it should have been delivered from the factory with Honda Power!
WhatsADSM is offline  
post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered User
 
Hello Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Greg View Post
The other thing is that near 11:30-11:45 in the video, you can hear the car sputter and hesitate!!
Jay is just playing with the throttle. The engine is doing exactly what jay told it to do.

A lotus has Never, Ever looked better. It looks incredible with the longer wheelbase.
Hello Kitty is offline  
post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
6i9
Registered User
 
6i9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
Leaving Hennessey's business practices out of it for a second...

I think the point is its not a production car. Its a very fast tuner car (and a grossly overpriced one at that).

I mean think about it for a second. The number of turbo f-bodies, turbo vettes, supra turbos, tt lambos, etc. That all have similar power to weight ratios, and were created by tuner shops for a fraction of what a venom GT costs. Why are those not considered in this "production car" top speed record?
I dont disagree. I just see a lot of flip flopping opinions on whether its a Lotus or not and whether that adds or detracts from the credibility of the car (not the man behind it)

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | Radium
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT-Lip | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Nitron SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE FF Rotors/Pistons | RC6
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
6i9 is offline  
post #51 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM
Registered User
 
RENDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Le Banane Republique (305)
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
Definition of a kit car is one that you assemble yourself, for your own use, not for resale.

Hennessey would have filed appropriate paperwork, I'm assuming, with state and federal, to formerly list himself as a manufacturer. He assembles the chassis in the UK, the engine in TX, and then does final assembly before delivery to a customer. So no, not a kit car... it is a production car just as RUF is a manufacturer, or Saleen.
So where would you place Factory five?

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
"Remember, If you don't laugh at your self, I sure will"
Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
RENDERMAN is offline  
post #52 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
DYNASTY
 
SwingLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,500
Funny - this is a site about Lotus cars - cars that don't offer blazing straight line speed, but excel in what most feel is the TRUE test of a performance car - handing/steering/braking.

Straight line speed is just that - straight line speed. Yawn. Doesn't test the true mettle of the car and whatever engineering went into it.

Like many have said on other sites - 'give it to The Stig'.

Taking the car on a proper road course will truly test the mettle of the car - chassis design/'engineering', weight distribution, handling, braking, etc.

Again, others on other sites who know A LOT more about automotive engineering suggest this car is probably horrid at handling - from the chassis design to the lack of ABS and traction control in a fafillion horsepower car.

That would be more interesting to see versus a straight line whatever.

-'05 SY Elise (RIP)
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - Sold 10/31/2014
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
- -05 SY Elise - my third!
SwingLo is offline  
post #53 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Registered User
 
RENDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Le Banane Republique (305)
Posts: 5,633
Funny, if you hyper ventilate an Exige is not lotus is a Venom but if you hyper ventilate a Honda, still a Civic

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
"Remember, If you don't laugh at your self, I sure will"
Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/
RENDERMAN is offline  
post #54 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered User
 
Vulcan Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
So where would you place Factory five?
Factory Five is a kit car maker, they do not sell completed cars.

This is from their website
Quote:
For as many people who choose to build their own car, there are people interested in purchasing a completed car. At Factory Five we do not build completed cars. Over the years we have worked with a good number of excellent hot rod and custom car builders. These shops specialize in starting with the Factory Five kit and performing assembly and custom car building services to a customer specification.
Prices and services vary greatly and we can help put you in touch with an appropriate shop. Call or email us for an independent Factory Five builder near you.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE
http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse
Vulcan Grey is offline  
post #55 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Registered User
 
Vulcan Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Funny - this is a site about Lotus cars - cars that don't offer blazing straight line speed, but excel in what most feel is the TRUE test of a performance car - handing/steering/braking.

Straight line speed is just that - straight line speed. Yawn. Doesn't test the true mettle of the car and whatever engineering went into it.

Like many have said on other sites - 'give it to The Stig'.

Taking the car on a proper road course will truly test the mettle of the car - chassis design/'engineering', weight distribution, handling, braking, etc.

Again, others on other sites who know A LOT more about automotive engineering suggest this car is probably horrid at handling - from the chassis design to the lack of ABS and traction control in a fafillion horsepower car.

That would be more interesting to see versus a straight line whatever.
It has ABS and traction control... It did go up the hill at Goodwood, and caught up to a GTR, not that that means much because the GTR might/probably could have been going slow for the fans...

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE
http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse
Vulcan Grey is offline  
post #56 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Registered User
 
Hello Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Funny - this is a site about Lotus cars - cars that don't offer blazing straight line speed, but excel in what most feel is the TRUE test of a performance car - handing/steering/braking.

Straight line speed is just that - straight line speed. Yawn. Doesn't test the true mettle of the car and whatever engineering went into it.
The one and only reason you "dont care about straight line acceleration" is because YOUR car cant do it. Your as easy to read as a childrens book.
Hello Kitty is offline  
post #57 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Registered User
 
RENDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Le Banane Republique (305)
Posts: 5,633
If I ever get my car tuned, these fort Lauderdale boys will do all the work!! so the Venom reached 180 in 13 secs hey? I'd rather own this S2K, how does 8.25@175 sound to you guys? Lookie!! I am willing to bet that if you guys make a collection of $100K to put into my car my boys at Raw Racing will destroy John's 13 sec million dollar Exige/Venom/Kit car bull manure without creating a frankenstein, you see folks I already told you is not about going fast...did i ever tell you guys i'm a reformed ricer?


"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
"Remember, If you don't laugh at your self, I sure will"
Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/

Last edited by RENDERMAN; 01-23-2013 at 05:55 PM.
RENDERMAN is offline  
post #58 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
RENDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Le Banane Republique (305)
Posts: 5,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
Factory Five is a kit car maker, they do not sell completed cars.

This is from their website
Sorry, I thought they did, Classic Motor Coach in Miami which went under many years ago for over 30 years built turn key kit cars, as a matter of fact a friend of mine and I actually gave a deposit on one of the last Shelby Cobra kits they had for me to build but ended up getting a refund since the rear end needed from a Ford II (can't recall the exact model) could not be found on planet earth, soon after they declared bankruptcy, we got lucky...

"I take life one pixel at a time"-RENDERMAN
"Remember, If you don't laugh at your self, I sure will"
Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
My work:
http://www.wilsart.com/

Last edited by RENDERMAN; 01-23-2013 at 02:42 PM.
RENDERMAN is offline  
post #59 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Me!
7 lbs/hp
 
Me!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
The one and only reason you "dont care about straight line acceleration" is because YOUR car cant do it. Your as easy to read as a childrens book.
Oh please you troll! If straight line performance is all you are about go someplace else! I mean hell it doesn't take that much money to get almost any American V-8 muscle car going fast in a straight line (certainly not $1,000,000+)!

If it was all I cared about I just wasted a good 40k on my car...

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
Me! is offline  
post #60 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Registered User
 
Hello Kitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Oh please you troll! If straight line performance is all you are about go someplace else! I mean hell it doesn't take that much money to get almost any American V-8 muscle car going fast in a straight line (certainly not $1,000,000+)!If it was all I cared about I just wasted a good 40k on my car...
Equally funny is your quotes of "super duper charged powwweeeerrrrr", which Lotus does not have.
Hello Kitty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome