The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

The history of my 2006 Lotus Elise SCCPC11146HL30039

32K views 65 replies 31 participants last post by  cawdor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In the interest of protecting any future owner of my car, I feel it is my responsibility to make anyone interested in SCCPC11146HL30039 be aware of its history.

The car was originally purchased in Houston in Jan of 2006, I believe.

I am the second owner, and bought the car with a little over 4k miles in October of 2006.

During the two years while it was in my possesion I made at least 20 unscheduled visits to the local Lotus dealer for the same persistant issues.

1. The a/c fan relay that we've all heard about, was never able to be permenantly fixed. They reflashed the ECU at least twice, failing that replaced it at least once. Finally followed the TSB and installed the appropriate diode. Still didn't fix it.

2. The car consistently throws the 1302 misfire code when driven hard (track hard - not street hard unless you drive 125+ on the street).

3. The car is on its second transmission, only a few thousand miles old, and it has already started grinding going into 4th gear, even when driven gently. This second transmission was never tracked or driven hard, yet it seems to be failing.

4. The car is on its third thermostat, third radiator, second throttle body, ignition coils and second cams with the third cylinder rocker arms.

On November 28th, while stopped at a light, a Chrysler Aspen SUV backed over the front of my car. I had it towed to the local Lotus shop so that they could remove the front clam to expose the frame at the suspension points. In short, they refused, and told me that the car was repairable (without even looking at the above mentioned parts) and that they would just send supplements to the insurance company if more work needed to be done (as if they didn't know that even a little frame damage totals the Elise....)

I bailed on this car because even if it is cosmetically restored, the persistant mechanical problems makes it a lemon, in my opinion. The Lotus dealer still has the car and will receive any monies I receive in order to repair the car. The problem is, the guy who hit me is only insured for $25k, so I would not trust that the car will be adequetely restored; buyer beware.

I have attached a few pics of the recent accident, I admit that the damage doesn't look bad, but considering the weight on of the SUV mostly on the front passenger side strut, I think it would be prudent to have inspected the frame. If you decide to buy this car, have an independent expert remove the front clam to verify the suspension and frame.

Please PM me if you need more info.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
In the interest of protecting any future owner of my car, I feel it is my responsibility to make anyone interested in SCCPC11146HL30039 be aware of its history.

Please PM me if you need more info.
Joe, so sorry that you have been so luckless with the car. I hope this won't drive you away entirely. The earlier problems you quote are not typical (that is, it's not typical that they are incurable). I have had two repairable clam events (one front, one rear) and have not yet had to replace one or seek out chassis damage, so I consider myself lucky. If you're not soured totally on the car, I hope you'll find one that gives you the pleasure that mine gives me. They can be a total joy. Best of luck with this.

#5 ·
These threads make me wonder how anyone gets backed up into. I have never seen a car backup into another car, and I've seen a car backup on the road a handful of times. I wonder where this type of accident occurs? Road? Parking Lots? Drive Thru's?

Does this happen more often than I think? Or does it happen more often to Lotus cars?

#6 ·
In my case, a parking lot. And it happened once to my Elise and once to her older sister, an early Elan. So maybe it does happen more to Lotus cars than others. We're both lower than their sight line and lower than their bumpers... :huh:

And we all know that non-Lotus drivers are sometimes freakin' idiots... :mad:

#9 ·
I can vouch for all of this. I have been living with Joe (carlover) for the past two years pretty much from the beginning of his ownership of the car. In no way is any of the above information exaggerated or misrepresented.

I feel bad for the next owner, and I hope they buy it with full knowledge of its history.

The car had a considerable amount of weight on the front, where the suspension on the passenger side was fully compressed (see picture) with the wheel tucked into the clam. I have never seen the Lotus strut towers, but I bet there is damage under there. The rear wheels of the SUV were almost off the ground. There is no way anyone can say there is nothing wrong with it without properly inspecting it. I guess if you turn a blind eye and pretend not to see it, it doesn't exist.:rolleyes:

#10 ·
Am I the only one who sees humor in the fact that the SUV that backed over this lotus has 'back up sensors' in the rear bumper? I've never owned a car with those, I assume they were switched off when this happened?

WTF?

d

#15 ·
Thank you for the kind words and support. I like that this forum gives us the opportunity to share this kind of information- thanks Randy ;)

One other thing I should add, is that this does seem to happen more in the Elise. This is actually the second time I've been backed into. The first time was only a couple of months into owning the car. A very similar scenario, except this time it was in a parking lot with the spaces at an angle. A Toyota Highlander on the driver's side side began backing up into me instead of the through-way. I, of course was honking furiously as I watched her back upu right into my rear clam. When she got out of her car, she said "I heard you honking!" and I thought, then why the %^&* didn't you stop!. I'm just glad that I was in the car for that, I wonder if most drivers would leave a note or just flee. In regards to this incident, the repair was made by patching the reworking the rear clam. I noticed just a few days before the latest accident that the repair had just failed in the form of a hairline crack reappearing where the repair was made.

Thanks again folks. I'll be back again, probably in a year or two. And FVMC, I was very happy with your service when I bought a car from you in 2005. I have recommended you to several people and I will keep you in mind when I make my next toy purchase :D.

#20 ·
Update:

I saw the car on the lot of Lotus San Antonio, although there was no for sale sign on it yet, a salesman there indicated it could be going to auction because of all the trouble I'd had with it. That essentially means it could end up in pretty much any market. Buyer beware!

#23 ·
They refused to remove the clam before making the claim with the insurance company, so there was no way to know if there was any frame damage. Having lost faith in the dealership and learning that the guy who hit me was only insured for 25k I bailed on the car, having traded it in for something else on the lot.

So this is my thought: After I traded the car in, it essentially became theirs. With a limit of 25k on the insurance claim it would NOT be to their advantage to total it out because they would not recoup their money. So even if they found damage to the suspension or frame they would be financially better off just fixing it cosmetically and selling the car.

For this reason, the value of the car as being a salvage or merely wrecked, is uncertain.

Also, here are pics of damage that occurred to the rear clam when I had only had the car for two months. Of note, the repair over the driver's side rear wheel began failing this past winter and now has a crack right over the repair.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Lotus elise Lotus exige

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Lotus elise Vehicle door

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Automotive design

#25 ·
Current Status

...a couple points of clarification - this car's last collision incurred damage to the front clam, crash structure, and radiator, all of which have been replaced...there was no detectable damage to the frame, suspension, nor other components, and the car was neither totalled nor converted to a salvage title...

...i've just spent a couple of days extensively roadtesting this car and would be happy to offer an objective third-party account of its current condition to any interested parties - feel free to PM me for details...

#26 · (Edited)
...a couple points of clarification - this car's last collision incurred damage to the front clam, crash structure, and radiator, all of which have been replaced...there was no detectable damage to the frame, suspension, nor other components, and the car was neither totalled nor converted to a salvage title...

...i've just spent a couple of days extensively roadtesting this car and would be happy to offer an objective third-party account of its current condition to any interested parties - feel free to PM me for details...
I have personally driven, and been a passenger in the car. I have also personally experienced every single issue described in this thread, especially the grind in the new transmission. In no way shape or form is any information false, misrepresented, or exaggerated.

In fact, your post saddens me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.