The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How fast/slow is Elise comparitively?

29K views 137 replies 52 participants last post by  LiveToDrive 
#1 ·
OK so I know the Elise isnt super fast nor does it have to be to be fun or fast around a track which is cool but in another thread someone mentioned an SRT-4 will outrun it. :huh: Mabey he means if it is heavily modified but I thought the elise was pretty quick, am I wrong? I have never driven one. I have wanted one of these cars since before they came to the states but the bottom line is if it doesnt make my daily driver (Hemi Durango) seem slow then I may go for a C6 instead. :confused:

#2 ·
According to Wikipedia, the SRT-4 is slower than the Elise:

# Power: SAE 215 hp (2003 model), 230hp (2004-2005 models) The 03` models did not have the updated injectors that come with the mopar stage 1 upgrade.
# Torque: 245 ft·lbf @ 2400-4400 rpm (2003 model), 250 ft·lbf @ 2400-4400 rpm (2004-2005 models)
# 0-60 time: 6.3 seconds (Car & Driver)
# Rev Limiter/Redline: 6125
# 1/4 mile time: 14.5-15.2 seconds (various magazine reviews)
# 1/4 mile speed: 92-96 mph (various magazine reviews)
# Top speed: 155 Manufacturer claims a top speed drag limited to 156mph, although many enthusiasts have claimed Mopar Stage 0 through 2 have been able to exceed 160mph with significant modifications

I think what is happening is that the Elise isn't as fast (straight line) as it looks. People are disappointed that it isn't able to keep up with many cars in a drag race.

#3 ·
Its lack of torque makes it seem a bit slow at first but when the second cam kicks in, it's fast.

Once you've driven a Lotus, any car, including other sports cars, will seem like buses. Imagine how "boaty" the Durango will seem.

The low power limits the top speed in a fast track but you'll brake later and turn in faster than pretty much anything out there.

The C6 will be faster than the Elise but not as fun to drive.
YMMV.

#5 ·
wantanelise said:
OK so I know the Elise isnt super fast nor does it have to be to be fun or fast around a track which is cool but in another thread someone mentioned an SRT-4 will outrun it. :huh: Mabey he means if it is heavily modified but I thought the elise was pretty quick, am I wrong? I have never driven one. I have wanted one of these cars since before they came to the states but the bottom line is if it doesnt make my daily driver (Hemi Durango) seem slow then I may go for a C6 instead. :confused:
uhh... a hemi durango is way slow! (just depends how you define slow) :wave: SRT-4 are slow in the same but not as extreem way as a durnago.

if you get smiles with your right foot then you will get really bored with the elise. If you get smiles from steering inputs - its superfast ! ..get the C6, it is a fantastic all round car, the elise is very old school sports car specific. most people want the elise tro get away from "power this" and "leather that" and get back to manual steering racks and rock stiff chassis with suspension tuning.

#6 ·
Go test drive one. If you are used to torque, you might hate it. Feeling fast, and being fast are not always the same thing. The other question is fast how? How fast can your Hemi take a corner?

If you only care about straight line, I would recommmend a new vette.

#7 ·
Since you said the word comparitively:

The Elise accelerates as quickly as the supercars of not that long ago. However, even this isn't enough to create the snap you neck back effect that so many associate with fast cars.

Why? Because production cars, with a few exceptions, generally aren't all that impressive. If you want impressive speed at a reasonable price - literbike (1000cc sportbike).

#8 ·
The Elise is most presumably faster than anything else... as long as we talk about twisted roads and skilled drivers. Straight line, 0-60, in 5 seconds, that's to impress colleagues but nothing which really matters. High speed? Never tried, not evne on a German Autobahn. It's just too boring to drive fast straight line.

#9 ·
No, of course I care about turns and handling, even more so than acceleration which is important to me as well but I know the Vette can do both so if the elise cant make my regular vehicle feel slow in just pure acceleration I may want to sacrafice some of that handling for huge power, which is the vette, and that car can handle great according to what Ive heard but I of course not like the Elise. I should also mention I dont need comfort/luxury, thats not why Id buy a Vette, I like the Elise bare bonesness.

#10 ·
Chris Mackey said:
According to Wikipedia, the SRT-4 is slower than the Elise:

# Power: SAE 215 hp (2003 model), 230hp (2004-2005 models) The 03` models did not have the updated injectors that come with the mopar stage 1 upgrade.
# Torque: 245 ft·lbf @ 2400-4400 rpm (2003 model), 250 ft·lbf @ 2400-4400 rpm (2004-2005 models)
# 0-60 time: 6.3 seconds (Car & Driver)
# Rev Limiter/Redline: 6125
# 1/4 mile time: 14.5-15.2 seconds (various magazine reviews)
# 1/4 mile speed: 92-96 mph (various magazine reviews)
# Top speed: 155 Manufacturer claims a top speed drag limited to 156mph, although many enthusiasts have claimed Mopar Stage 0 through 2 have been able to exceed 160mph with significant modifications

I think what is happening is that the Elise isn't as fast (straight line) as it looks. People are disappointed that it isn't able to keep up with many cars in a drag race.
The thing is that real world "street" racing is far different than test track or drag strip numbers. If you take your no-torque-mobile against almost anything with an automatic at a stoplight, don't dare try a roll start. Anything with an automatic tranny and a V8 (even a dodge Ram truck) would be 2 car lengths in front of you before you got to 6200 rpm. And turbo cars do well with rolling starts too b/c they have fat torque curves.

Also, the Elise is super fast from 6200 to 8500 rpm in the first 2 gears. It's pretty fast in 3rd and it's pretty slow in 4th. Forget about beating anybody in 5th. If someone with 250+ HP challenges you on the freeway above 75mph, regardless of how heavy his car is, decline. Weight doesn't matter anymore above 75mph. It's all about the ponies when the drag gets involved.

#12 ·
The Elise puts up good acceleration in the top end of 1st and 2nd and it's decent at the top end of 3rd.

You won't be able to roll off the line and keep up with an SRT Neon. Especially if he's in an auto. But if you do a proper launch, you'd bury him.

On the freeway, the Elise's lack of power comes into play and above 100mph, it's really really slow. Slower than an A4 or a 330.

#13 ·
not top speed either, just acceleration is what Im asking about right now to make sure Id be satisfied and to be satisfied it has to accelerate harder than the Durango, I know its a stupid comparison but its the best accelerating thing I drive, the thing can move.

#14 ·
From what I have read over the past few years the Elise is fairly quick and impressively nimble. Acceleration ranges between 0-60 in 4.7 to 4.9 when driven properly. SRT-4's are a joke (IMHO) and used to do 60 in about 5.5 to 6 and were STI or EVO wannabees without the rally heritage.

Cheers,
Nawambo

#15 ·
If you raced a hemi from 35mph roll, you'd kill him.

If you raced a hemi from a 5mph roll, he'd kill you and then you'd eventually catch and pass him.

If you did a proper launch from 0mph, you'd kill a lot of cars and you'd double dog mega kill that hemi.

#16 · (Edited)
The Lotus and the Vette are two very different yet outstanding cars. Drive them both. This is the only way to determine which qualities you find more appealing. I've driven lots of sports cars and appreciate them for their own attributes, but nothing feels as fun to drive as the Elise for my tastes.

#19 ·
XPcarguy said:
If you raced a hemi from 35mph roll, you'd kill him.

If you raced a hemi from a 5mph roll, he'd kill you and then you'd eventually catch and pass him.

If you did a proper launch from 0mph, you'd kill a lot of cars and you'd double dog mega kill that hemi.

interesting, Im pretty sure Id be happy with the Elise then, but yes I do have to drive one.

#21 ·
Well..here are some thoughts from a previous SRT4 owner as myself...actually, I had the second SRT4 in the state of New Jersey...i got it right at the beginning of 2003 when they first came out. I was the 2nd one in NJ and the 15th one ever manufactured according to my VIN #...

anyway...a year later, i had the car up to a whopping 445whp with a roll cage so i can actually run at the 1/4 mile track without being kicked out....especially since my low 12 second passes on the brakes trapping sub 100mph were getting boring..however my 1/8 mile times were insane when i was running without the roll cage :] But i broke some records since I had the car so early on, not many people were going crazy with it yet. However, now a days i see SRT4s breaking crazy times, but that was bound to happen with time, so my 11 second time slips on my srt4 mean nothing, but it's still memories.

yea, the car was fast. I had my fun with it -- yes I did race Lotus's...ferraris...lambos..whatever came my way. Highway pulls were fun -- i have videos of 40-160+ pulls. Keep in mind I had a 125mph + 1/4 mile trap, so this thing was a highway BEAST.

HOWEVER, its no Lotus :) I sold the SRT4 for the Lotus....and I kept having problems with the SRT4. Obviously because of high horsepower, I started having transmission and other stupid problems. I got tired of it after it turned into a money pit, so I fell in love with the Elise and bought it.

And I would like to end on this note..I have encountered SRT4s on the road, and I have done mini pulls with them, and yes, my elise is a bit quicker...but its all motor....i usually get the jump / "instant power" LOL whatever

im going to stop babbling now..... and go burn off some energy jumping rope :sheep:

then drive the elise :shift:

#22 ·
XPcarguy said:
If someone with 250+ HP challenges you on the freeway above 75mph, regardless of how heavy his car is, decline. Weight doesn't matter anymore above 75mph. It's all about the ponies when the drag gets involved.
I agree w/most of what you wrote. But,

I had a highway "dice" with an STi on way to VIR to crew. He edge me 1st time. After his turbo presumably heated up, I got him the next two times.

Of course, I downshifted into the correct gear...

#23 ·
wantanelise said:
In terms of feel the car feels as fast as a c5 vette (non-Z06). It will feel incredibly fast compared to the durango.

#24 · (Edited)
wantanelise said:
I came from a tricked out Dodge Dakota RT 5.9 , in a full NHRA 1/4 mile run I think it might have edged the Elise by a hair, but the Elise would beat it from 0-60 by about a half a car length. Big V8 torque is a lot different from small 4 cylinder nimbleness. When you punch a V8 you are thrown into your seat and feel pull the entire way. In a little light weight sports car you punch it and then think hmmm whats up? , then you look at the speedo and go wow! I am doing a 110 already ! But driven hard and in the 2nd cams the Elise will let you know you are moving quickly ! The Durango/Dakot or pretty much any other normal vehicle will indeed feel like driving a school bus once you have driven a Lotus !

#26 ·
glb said:
I agree w/most of what you wrote. But,

I had a highway "dice" with an STi on way to VIR to crew. He edge me 1st time. After his turbo presumably heated up, I got him the next two times.

Of course, I downshifted into the correct gear...
How do you "get" somebody on the freeway? I mean really there is no start or finish ? I don't get that mentalitly of rolling ,punch it "racing". Is the winner whom ever is willing to go the fastest and be the craziest by cutting other drivers off and speeding way beyond the speed limit? I hate that kind of stuff when I see in on the freeway , but anyway....

The Elise is horrible for highway 60 - 100 + "racing" if you can call it that. If that kind of thing floats your boat then the Elise or any small sports car is pretty much not going to cut it. If you want to beat the 16 yo's in STIs on the freeway you are going to need a Lancer or Mustang GT, maybe even an old Camaro, hell the burt reynolds trans am would be great for that kind of thing. On the freeway I am usually in cruise mode, getting from point A to B and trying not to get run over by SUVs. If some ricer pulls up and revs I wave and laugh, you won buddy, woo hoo you are king of road ! :mw: knowing I probably WON'T see them on the track because usually those types don't know how to drive and think HPD means punching the go pedal and cutting people off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.