Keeping Exige 2 outside - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Keeping Exige 2 outside

Hi guys , just wanted some advice on my Exige 2 , ive lost the use of my garage and am thinking of keeping the car outside , problem is i live in central London and would mean keeping it on a public road and not covered also concerned about water getting in the engine bay , really dont know what to do
many thanks
paulexige is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Water in the engine bay will likely not be a serious issue. A group of clockwork oranges wanting to express a bit of the old ultra violence on your ride might be.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
Water in the engine bay will likely not be a serious issue. A group of clockwork oranges wanting to express a bit of the old ultra violence on your ride might be.

was concerned about clockwork oranges myself mate
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Actaully it probably isn't the best idea to keep the car outside if you don't have to.

Lotus has a bit of a reputation from S1 and S2 owners for having paint blisters (you will find more material about this on the other Lotus forums). These blisters are often caused by poor priming and sealing that allows moisture to penetrate the fiberglass. Many owners, especially in the UK, who store their car outside and is subjected to temperature variations, humidity and moisture eventually find some evidence of these paint blisters. Owners who store outside with covers also find this escalates the problem due to breathing limitations. Paint blisters are not easy to fix. Essentially you have to remove all the paint all the way to the primer, bake the car in an attempt to drive embedded moisture out and seal under and above panels and repaint. This has only had some limited success and sometimes resurfaces again after all that effort and expense.

The Comprehensive Exige 260 Registry
Vishus_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

eventually somebody will bump it unfortunately. I cant imagine streetparking an exige in london or nyc or anyplace similar. Last time I was in london we exited the tube in one of the nicer areas and I was shocked to see some really nice cars street parked in neighborhoods.

The sea of range rovers and x5s didnt bother me to much but the tiny little 356 speedster out in the lonely cold made me a bit sad.
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
eventually somebody will bump it unfortunately. I cant imagine streetparking an exige in london or nyc or anyplace similar. Last time I was in london we exited the tube in one of the nicer areas and I was shocked to see some really nice cars street parked in neighborhoods.

The sea of range rovers and x5s didnt bother me to much but the tiny little 356 speedster out in the lonely cold made me a bit sad.

I though i might get alot of you saying this sort of thing i love the car and dont want to get rid of it , but probably know that it will get scuffed and stuff by keeping it outside on the street
Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

ya there is a guy in the LA area that I see parallel parking his on the street, in a kinda bad area too. I could never believe that someone would do that to an Exige knowing how fragile it is.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

You HAVE to get a second job, and rent someones garage. Or sell your car. Or never sleep again.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

I flew to the UK to buy mines and was told it was stored inside since new 2007 (5 years old with 11,000 miles on it).

I really didn't know what to look for since I had never owned one before and now, after spending about 4-5 thousand US Dollars to replace all of the rusted out suspension, dampers, misc. nuts and bolts, metal retainers, and getting rid of the rust on other metal surfaces that could be saved throughout the car, I can say it was never ever stored inside until now that I own it.

Long story short, Your car will have a short lived life if kept out in the elements and like posted earlier, the jealous a$$holes will always find your car (had a Mustang that had to be parked on the curb and it went through hell).

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
billsaidso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I can't imagine why you would replace bolts and nuts with surface rust one them?

That is insane.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

It looks bad, they become brittle, and can also corrode the aluminum.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)

I 2nd the notion to rent a garage.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
Actaully it probably isn't the best idea to keep the car outside if you don't have to.

Lotus has a bit of a reputation from S1 and S2 owners for having paint blisters (you will find more material about this on the other Lotus forums). These blisters are often caused by poor priming and sealing that allows moisture to penetrate the fiberglass. Many owners, especially in the UK, who store their car outside and is subjected to temperature variations, humidity and moisture eventually find some evidence of these paint blisters. Owners who store outside with covers also find this escalates the problem due to breathing limitations. Paint blisters are not easy to fix. Essentially you have to remove all the paint all the way to the primer, bake the car in an attempt to drive embedded moisture out and seal under and above panels and repaint. This has only had some limited success and sometimes resurfaces again after all that effort and expense.
The last owner I bought the car from, did NOT have a garage... somehow the car survived harsh New Jersey weather. However, I did witness these blisters you are talking about on my car. Thankfully it's hard to notice and only a small part is affected by it (on the removable access panel), so I haven't done any about it. But after all you told me about the issue, at least I know the severity of it.

If you absolutely have to keep it outside, get a good car cover and keep the paint detailed/protected. I had to personally machine detail the car to get a lot of scratches out from lack of paint protection. Rent a garage or sell the car
2010 Phantom Black Exige S240 [Kold-fire Custom Tune] [RLS 3.0"][RLS IC, IC pipe, IC shroud, Heatshield] [RLS sidescoop kit] [Saiku Michi Catch Can] [Walboro 255][BWR De-cat] [BOE 1/4 Stick] [itg filter] [Jim Clayton's Tow Hook] [CF Splitter, Sidescoops, Wing Blade, Gas Cap]soon: [CF Sideskirts] [REV 300+] Journal
1995 Whitest White RHD Subaru Impreza STi type RA ver. II

Last edited by sizzflair; 01-14-2013 at 06:22 PM.
sizzflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaidso View Post
It looks bad, they become brittle, and can also corrode the aluminum.

Other than looking bad (and I can tell you even my garages exige has some surface rust on nuts/bolts) few of the bolts touch aluminium directly and I can't imagine a bolt rusting enough to become brittle. If you want blinged out fresh bolts fine, but as far as a safety or corrosion issue you are nuts. I will agree that certain bolts are really bad as far as corrosion and adverse effects but mainly those are not structural (the dumb Allen head bolts on the rear diffuser, the screws in the front wheelwells, oil cooler line fittings) and whenever I pull a clam, I refit the bolts with antiseize.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

You said you can not cover it?

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
anglophile in exile

Welcome to LT

As to your dilemma it depends a bit on what part of London you're in...

You'll get a more relevant answer on SELOC | Lotus Enthusiasts Club which is the UK equivalent of LT

Last edited by Aedo; 01-16-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Aedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
German Reimport

I thought you Brits always park them outside

Name:  511.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  149.0 KB Name:  514.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  517.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  85.2 KB Name:  518.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  164.5 KB

Name:  585.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  98.5 KB
Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
German Reimport

But they seem to clean up nicely...

Name:  540.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  113.3 KB

Here is another example

Name:  20111106-051438-882.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaidso View Post
I flew to the UK to buy mines and was told it was stored inside since new 2007 (5 years old with 11,000 miles on it).

I really didn't know what to look for since I had never owned one before and now, after spending about 4-5 thousand US Dollars to replace all of the rusted out suspension, dampers, misc. nuts and bolts, metal retainers, and getting rid of the rust on other metal surfaces that could be saved throughout the car, I can say it was never ever stored inside until now that I own it.

Long story short, Your car will have a short lived life if kept out in the elements and like posted earlier, the jealous a$$holes will always find your car (had a Mustang that had to be parked on the curb and it went through hell).

Dampers out of an Elise after 3,5 years and 35.000 miles from the UK
There must be something in the air over there that eats metal
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Mine looked almost like that lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)