Lotus 2ZZ Engine - Interference or Non-Interference Engine? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lotus 2ZZ Engine - Interference or Non-Interference Engine?

I've looked around and searched on the net, and I've got some conflicting stories. Some people say that our 2ZZ engines are non-interference as long as its under 6000rpms. Others say that its a flat out interference engine. Whats the real deal? Thanks in advance for any clarification. I very much appreciate it!
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

No, according to this: Gates Part Locator & Interchange

Same goes for the Celica GTS.
Icedog_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unless I'm understanding this thing wrong, its also saying a '00 Mercury Cougar has a non-interference engine, and I know that's not true.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

A quick search only turned up a handful of results regarding what you said and others that contradict that. Just the messenger, man. I tend to think that Gates has a bit to lose in the event of a failure - just sayin'. What's the purpose of your question?

Last edited by Icedog_16; 12-29-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just remembered an SAE white paper on the development of the engine. Maybe this will help. http://www.celicasg.com/2zzGE-Engine.pdf

Last edited by Icedog_16; 12-29-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

I own a 2k mercury cougar as well. Timing chain jumped time, engine kaboom. Just wondering if the same situation could happen to my new elise.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can tell you that it correctly noted that the 2001 Jetta 1.8 is an interference design....and that the 2006 Mini was not.

Can not see how they could be wrong....but....they have no mention of the 91 elan....which I know is..

I think if they dont have parts....they dont list the info one way or the other.

Ediot....I just looked at the Isuzu Impulse 2 liter which is the same engine as the Elan....and it says that it is...

So...I think if you look up the Celica and they have parts....they know what they say. I did not look that one up yet.
tvacc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

...toyota uses timing chains only on their interference designs, otherwise they use belts...um, don't ask me for a reference - i read it on wikipedia...
Old 05-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
I own a 2k mercury cougar as well. Timing chain jumped time, engine kaboom. Just wondering if the same situation could happen to my new elise.
I have a 1999 Cougar and the same thing just happennned to me, but they have to take a look at it and see if the engine is gone. I thought it was a fuel filter that was clogged at first, since when I stepped on the gas to accelerate, it made a high reving noise and did nothing, and then started working OK once I let off on the gas a little,.Went about 4 miles and the car dies on me.

In most cases when this happens, is the engine gone?
xxxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet our engines are interference. Based on what I know, non-interference engines tend to be less efficient, and are more commonly found on trucks? Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. If a 2zz ever jumped timing I wouldn't be surprised if there were some bent valves somewhere...

[sold] 06 Exige Phantom Black - Track/touring pack w/ LSD, BWR Supercharger, Volk CE28N matte black wheels, yellow calipers, green filter, Larini SS Exhaust, BOE Surge Tank, CF MotorSports Spoiler, custom splitter, difflow 5 element diffuser
stea1thviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

How is this even a discussion? The engine is an interference design. /end of thread.
E_Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotic View Post
In most cases when this happens, is the engine gone?
Depends on the severity of the contact. It can range anywhere from valve being slightly bent. Valve and guide getting messed up. Or hitting the piston hard enough that its compromised.

Quote:
Based on what I know, non-interference engines tend to be less efficient,
Ya, but a good point was brought up about the dual cam profile nature of the engine. The valves do not extend the same distance at all RPM & throttle parameters. At lower RPM the valves are not going in as far.

The compression ratio can also play a large role. Domed pistons (often high compression) will almost always have a valve relief because the piston reaches up into the combustion chamber. Where as a dished piston (lower compression) may have no or very little valve relief.
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stea1thviper View Post
Based on what I know, non-interference engines tend to be less efficient, and are more commonly found on trucks? ...
Truck engines are mostly Diesel engines, and they are mostly all interference engines. Otherwise you wouldn't get the high compression ratio required for self ignition.

I'm not sure if a dropped valve on a car engine means the engine is toast, but on the many truck engines that I have investigated with broken valves you mostly find metal bits in all cylinders with scuffed liners and all pistons damaged. I'm not 100% sure how those broken bits spread that much, but I see valve and piston parts spread from the intake manifold to the exhaust tract.
And turbo chargers also don't digest those parts very well.

So based on that I would say that a car engine could very well be toast after dropping a valve.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

It is an interference engine of course. Plus, the clearance in operation with the intake valve full in advance gives very little clearance, the cam needs to be correctly installed.

Also, the valve pocket on the piston are not perfectly aligned with the valves, and valves floating (exhaust) can generate contact between the valve and the pocket top edge... TOYOTA quality... Reving high the engine with stock piston and stock valve is risky, it depend of the engine OEM machining precision.

Elise 2006, white, BOE/EFI, 275 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
elise/europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)