Lotus Elise Swap Idea..... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lotus Elise Swap Idea.....

I just recently fell in love with the lotus line of cars and i was talking with a friend over them as he doesnt like the factory engine in the elise due to its expensive and lack of aftermarket support compared to other ideas... I am looking into either a elise or exige for weekend/track car as i have fallen in love with Auto Xing and lemans stuff. Last i help a buddy run his Audi 100 5cylinder turbo awd car in the budget class of the local lemans and we took 3rd place with it.

What me and my buddy was thinking of is more along the lines of what he has installed in his 71 VW Bug. He has an Yamaha R1 engine installed with a giant turbo setup that cost him less than 2k in all for everything.. the car has been running this setup for nearly 2 years now with no issues except an increase in oil consumption as the bike engine is nearing 40k miles now..

The R1 engine is plentyful and the aftermarker support for it is insane and CHEAP!!.. plus with the want for turbo's they have already made a few hundred of them run on megasquirt with turbo's flawless...

The Factory Lotus Elise engine isnt to far off from a factory R1 engine puts down.. but the r1 engine is able to rev so much higher..

R1 Engine

Lotus Engine

R1 Engine Supercharged 5psi

Lotus Engine Supercharged

Then there is the fact you can build an R1 engine to run stupid high rpms!!!
Storx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm thinking about putting a Hayabusa in a lighter car like a Bugeye Sprite or Midget.
Minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Love the idea!
However, you're not too well versed on the "factory Lotus Engine".
The engine is not expensive, on the contrary, it is a 2zz-ge, found in about a kagalion Toyotas. It also has a plentiful aftermarket.
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

The elise is light but not compared to a bike. Bike engines typically don't work well in cars simply due to weight.

What transmission would you use? Whatever it was it would need UBER amounts of torque multiplication or the thing would feel like poop due to lack of torque. Its a good thing the R1 can spin because you will need to constantly keep the revs up just to make sure the car can move along.

Futhermore cheap and swap really shouldn't be in the same sentence. When it comes to swapping a different engine in the Elise the cost of the engine/transmission aren't actually all that much in terms of the whole package. Note the price of a Honda K series engine, or a Toyota 2GR engine. They are actually pretty darn cheap even though the total cost to swap is pretty high.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

how much is a turbo tune for your elise??
how much is a e85 tune for your elise??

on r1 engine.. you buy the power commander and then you have access to a million tunes for free to upload at your choice.. they even have memory chips on the power commander 3 that allows you to switch multiple tunes right on the spot with no extra stuff needed to plugged in or what not....and power commander is what $250 new and sometimes find them used for $200....
Nice thing about power commander is once you use a tune with the power commander 2 and 3 it gives your bike a rating when its hooked up to the computer.. and basicly rates how well its running and uploads it to the database as a average rating of how the tune runs on bikes.. if the tune creates alot of errors and missfires then the tune gets tagged with low numbers and they fall to the bottom of the list..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storx View Post
I just recently fell in love with the lotus line of cars and i was talking with a friend over them as he doesnt like the factory engine in the elise due to its expensive and lack of aftermarket support compared to other ideas... I am looking into either a elise or exige for weekend/track car as i have fallen in love with Auto Xing and lemans stuff. Last i help a buddy run his Audi 100 5cylinder turbo awd car in the budget class of the local lemans and we took 3rd place with it.

What me and my buddy was thinking of is more along the lines of what he has installed in his 71 VW Bug. He has an Yamaha R1 engine installed with a giant turbo setup that cost him less than 2k in all for everything.. the car has been running this setup for nearly 2 years now with no issues except an increase in oil consumption as the bike engine is nearing 40k miles now..

The R1 engine is plentyful and the aftermarker support for it is insane and CHEAP!!.. plus with the want for turbo's they have already made a few hundred of them run on megasquirt with turbo's flawless...

The Factory Lotus Elise engine isnt to far off from a factory R1 engine puts down.. but the r1 engine is able to rev so much higher..

R1 Engine

Lotus Engine

R1 Engine Supercharged 5psi

Lotus Engine Supercharged

Then there is the fact you can build an R1 engine to run stupid high rpms!!!
Great idea Tickel, pass the next round Dog!!

Its a small troll after all
its a small troll after all
its a small troll after all
its a small, small troll...

WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

So you want to pay money to put a lower power engine in a lotus. Brilliant.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hextavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Lotus Elise Swap Idea.....

You can turbo or supercharge it cheap....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

You can turbo or supercharge the 2zz for cheap.

The power commander is just a glorified piggyback. Similar to putting a used $250 AEM FIC on the stock engine and calling it engine management. Thinking of swapping an engine because of a $250 piggyback computer makes no sense.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Having owned an offroad buggy business for years and dealing with the whole "bike engine in a car" thing I gotta say it's a good idea as I've built over 20 buggy's using a hayabusa. However, not an elise. Find a different car...a cheaper car with more parts available. Perhaps a miata....or an old toyota or a bug like your buddy's. And another thing, I disagree with your price estimates. While that may have happened once on the cheap, it won't happen again. And which direction will you take to connect the engine to the ground. Jeffco diff's are $3800. A sprocket set up is $1500 minimum. Empi axles, 930 lobro cv's, etc., etc.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

I applaud your innocence. If the lotus weighed half what it does, it may be a fun deal.
The 2ZZ engine can be made to do wonders and at 8500 rpm, it s cheap to replace. Blow it and it is great.
Do it and keep us posted.
Sam
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Because of the increased traction of the Elise, with the higher weight (compared to a motorcycle), you will likely twist a motorcycle crank at 450 hp. The classical irresistable force and an immovable object quandry.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnis View Post
I'm thinking about putting a Hayabusa in a lighter car like a Bugeye Sprite or Midget.
This thread made me think of some of our projects. For sh*ts and giggles, my brother and I built a 1960 Vespa 400 that we powered with a Harley 1200cc. that we put in the rear.
Why? Why not? Not as fast as an R1 but it sure as hell beats the original 24hp it came with. Car weighs under 700 lbs. It does 45mph in 2nd. Top speed? No idea its too scary to try.

Now were building a Ninja powered trike just for the hell of it..
Attached Images

2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Track use only? 1996 and up cars require ODB-2 for most people to be street legal. Your bug had no worry of that.

My personal opinion is that the car needs MORE torque to be fun, not less. Looking at those graphs and seeing 50 something HP at 5200 RPM makes me not happy to think about street driving.
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storx View Post
...as he doesnt like the factory engine in the elise due to its expensive and lack of aftermarket support compared to other ideas...
Have you done any research on the 2zz-ge engine? Tons of aftermarket, tons of support... not that expensive.

Putting an engine with less power in the Elise makes no sense to me... but I like seeing projects... so I say go for it. Once it's done, I can hook you up with a guy who makes slick body kits. He's on the forum too...
juniorbean43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

2011 - Those projects are GREAT!
DealsGapCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

You could technically fit 2 busa engines in the engine bay and have a ghetto straight eight.
MotoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)