Lotus Evora vs Exige - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lotus Evora vs Exige

I am looking to get a car that I can drive as my daily driver. I will sometimes use it for long trips. I heard some people say that the only reason to get the evora is if i need the additional seats. I only need two seats. I might take it to the track a couple of times but my main reason for getting one is for daily driving. I like the exige look better, but the evora looks good too. Also, Is there a big difference in comfortability?
Teddykooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Going by your parameters, I vote Evora.
Minnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Evora = more comfort than Elise or Exige.
Evora = more space to put bags (Assuming two are travelling)
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

is the Exige a good car to travel in?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Exige is not good for long trips. Go Evora.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

To expand upon that.. since you asked. The Exige is full of hard surfaces, which vibrate annoyingly, and will make you uncomfortable after a few hours. Being a 4 cylinder is the biggest cause of vibration. The suspension isn't bad at all, though. Lack of room inside makes it hard to stretch or re-position while driving. I've done a few long trips, and I need a break every 2 hours. Also, the tank will only get you 240 miles or so.

I do daily my Exige, as do a few others around here, but if comfort is anywhere on your list of necessities, go with the evora.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Exige stage 2 will make you deaf on a 2 hour drive if any of it is uphill. Earplugs/headphones.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Evora
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinym View Post
To expand upon that.. since you asked. The Exige is full of hard surfaces, which vibrate annoyingly, and will make you uncomfortable after a few hours. Being a 4 cylinder is the biggest cause of vibration. The suspension isn't bad at all, though. Lack of room inside makes it hard to stretch or re-position while driving. I've done a few long trips, and I need a break every 2 hours. Also, the tank will only get you 240 miles or so.

I do daily my Exige, as do a few others around here, but if comfort is anywhere on your list of necessities, go with the evora.

Is the Exige to loud for you? Can you hear music or is it to loud?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't know what kind of long road trips you take, but I bet you could take a nap somehow in an Evora...in case you get stuck in one of those middle states where there's nothing.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
I own an Evora S, recently did a 500 mile trip and found it more comfortable than my "luxury sedan" I have also run te same model on teh track for hours. May not have the total cripness of an Exige, but it is a true sports car in every sense with a fantastic ride.
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddykooka View Post
Is the Exige to loud for you? Can you hear music or is it to loud?
If you have to ask whether you can hear the music or not, then Evora is definitely the choice for you. I had an Elise with the stock muffler, and I don't use the radio at all on the highway.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Lotus Evora vs Exige

Not to be a big downer, but what makes you think you even want a lotus at all? Based on your description neither the Evora nor the Exige jump to mind...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
If you have to ask whether you can hear the music or not, then Evora is definitely the choice for you. I had an Elise with the stock muffler, and I don't use the radio at all on the highway.
This is very true. I've had my Exige for 2+ years, I daily drive it (but I have the world's shortest commute)

highway driving is only now tolerable due to installing a taller 6th gear.

If you are going the elise/exige route, i'd say that's a must!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage
My DD is an Evora. It is not comfortable or easy to use as a DD when you compare it to almost anything else, but compared to any other somewhat purpose built "race car" it is about as good as a daily driver as you can get.

I have an irrational hatred of BMWs that I just can't explain, but I have to imagine an M3 is a better DD and still fun on the track.

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
jet37ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

I daily drove Elises since 2007 and its starting to have a permanent effect on my back...or maybe my age.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
You would not recognize them as being made by the same company there is that much difference. Evora wins bigtime!
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (home again!)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders) 2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP)
1980 Rover SD1 (new home)
XHILR8N! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Have you test driven one yet? Only you will be able to determine which car suits your needs.

Reasons why the Exige is not an ideal road trip car...

1. The Exige has terrible rearward visibility. That can create an issue for you when you are driving on a freeway.
2. Max space for 2 soft-sided back packs as luggage, unless your passenger wants something on her lap.
3. No cup holders standard.
4. The Exige has no cruise control. That can be a pain for long trips.
5. The car rides very low. You have to be careful entering and exiting roadways and shopping centers and you will not be able to easily see around the cars ahead.
6. It's pretty loud in the car when you are traveling at freeway speeds. You have to raise your voice quite a bit to have a conversation with the person sitting next to you. Unless your stereo is upgraded, it has to be turned up rather high to be heard.
7. If you live somewhere where the weather gets hot, the aircon doesn't typically work very well.

That being said, I more or less daily drive my Exige and I love it. I've taken it on a few 200 mi roadtrips and it's been great. I don't really care about comfort. For me, it's about fun! If you or your passenger feel like you need *any* comfort, choose the Evora.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

I don't think this one is even close. I have owned 2 Elises and now an Evora S. The Elise/Exige is fantastic, but the Evora is an amazing combination of a compliant suspension while still maintaining the Lotus feel in handling. I ofen marvel at how they do this. The Evora is a very comfortable car to spend a lot of time in--did San Diego to Vegas and back a few months ago, but it is also amazing on the track and the twisty mountain roads. Agree with others, drive them both, but for what you say you need I don't think there is much of a decision.
97 Porsche Boxster, 99 Porsche 996,
martinm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have 21k miles in my Evora, daily driving it and 2 track days (2 more in the next 2 months - hopefully even more than that) and I can't see myself needing anything else for a while until I get a dedicated track car.

My vote is definitely Evora.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)