Lotus Evora vs Exige - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #21 (permalink)

Long trips or daily driving, Evora. You'll go deaf from long highway trips in an Exige. Suspension is way softer on the Evora, can easily be a daily driver.

Remember, you can't see well behind you in an Exige, would make it tough to daily drive, backing up in a parking lot etc.
2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG new daily driver
Previous Cars:
2008 Porsche Cayman S
2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited (winter beater) - sold
2008 M3 sedan Interlagos Blue (sold 10/11/13)
2002 Porsche 996 C4S (sold)
2008 Cherokee SRT-8 (sold)
2003 BMW M3 (stolen 8/7/03)
2002 Corvette Z06
1995 Corvette Admiral Blue
1994 Corvette
1994 Mustang GT
1992 Mustang GT
1984 Toyota Supra
RaceCarDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

if you have the extra 25 or 30 grand to spend go evora without question.
1994 ferrari 348 spider nero/nero sold...2008 toyota yaris hatch sold...71 volkswagen type 2 with 79 hydraulic type IV 2.0/dual 40 idf webers! SOLD 72 europa tcBV sold, 2008 cayman, MV Agusta brutale S

oh yeah...i apologize in advance to the weak...
flyguyskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Chimp View Post
Have you test driven one yet? Only you will be able to determine which car suits your needs.

Reasons why the Exige is not an ideal road trip car...

1. The Exige has terrible rearward visibility. That can create an issue for you when you are driving on a freeway.
2. Max space for 2 soft-sided back packs as luggage, unless your passenger wants something on her lap.
3. No cup holders standard.
4. The Exige has no cruise control. That can be a pain for long trips.
5. The car rides very low. You have to be careful entering and exiting roadways and shopping centers and you will not be able to easily see around the cars ahead.
6. It's pretty loud in the car when you are traveling at freeway speeds. You have to raise your voice quite a bit to have a conversation with the person sitting next to you. Unless your stereo is upgraded, it has to be turned up rather high to be heard.
7. If you live somewhere where the weather gets hot, the aircon doesn't typically work very well.

That being said, I more or less daily drive my Exige and I love it. I've taken it on a few 200 mi roadtrips and it's been great. I don't really care about comfort. For me, it's about fun! If you or your passenger feel like you need *any* comfort, choose the Evora.
+1 on all points.

Regarding the radio, I find that on the highway I can either have the radio on or a conversation but not both.

I did a multi-day road trip with my wife and I found the Elise to be "perfect" apart from needing the radio to be off for conversations, and the minimal trunk space.

I've also done a few multi-day trips on my own. Those had the radio "on" and I was fine.

It sounds like the Evora is more suitable for your needs. I would suggest the Exige only if you really prefer its looks.

For what it is worth I have used my Elise for 3.5 years as a daily driver and as mentioned for several long trips and I am fine with it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

Lotus Evora vs Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
+1 on all points.
For what it is worth I have used my Elise for 3.5 years as a daily driver and as mentioned for several long trips and I am fine with it.
Just to be clear sir, David Craig is capable of placing his leg above and behind his head. So, for David an Elise could clearly be quite comfortable Ingress and egress are also a non issue for such an accomplished contortionist! Lol.
Sounds like the Evora may suit your needs better. Good luck and please post pics of your new Lotus.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

02 Wrangler Sahara. 3" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 33" tires. Different tool for different job
LotusCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have an Elise with just the touring package (softer surfaces, softer suspension). I bought it used and it has some wiz bang audio system with JL audio speakers and a 750W powered subwoofer. When I did my Radium clam kit, I removed the subwoofer because I couldn't hear the radio anyways. If you want to hear the radio at all, get an Evora.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #26 (permalink)

Lotus Evora vs Exige

I can't say I've ever had the radio on in my Exige. It's just not worth it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Yup gotta go with Evora. My long trips in Elise were always to track days which were 4-5 hours but it was loud which meant crank the stereo and no cruise which sucked most of all.
Compared to Vettes< porsches etc. Evora is the BEST riding sports car I've driven. As good as an XK!
12 Jaguar XK Coupe Claret Red, Caramel Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 03-01-2013 at 03:50 AM.
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

I don't know why I'm even chiming in on this since I'm just going to reiterate what everyone else said. Go with the Evora. Daily driving an Exige and especially long trips in it are not for the faint of heart. I did it for two years putting about 40k miles on it, I can't imagine many people would be capable of that.
Amarao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #29 (permalink)

I started with an Elise, moved to an Exige, got a regular Evora (selling it now (want to buy?) as I upgraded to an Evora S). I love both. Evora is a much cushier car for sure. Much easier to live with and get in and out of. Other than being low, I'd say the biggest problem is the wide doors but you'll have that problem with any coupe. Fortunately they have a detent and you can get in and out ok with that detent when you park next to someone but it still takes getting used to.

The Exige - well, you can do what I did and add a rear camera so you can see out the back when exiting a parking spot. Still need to check your mirrors but its not so bad.

Driving daily - well, depends on what you want. Exige is a race car for the street. Its fun to drive every day and the door is not nearly as wide so you can actually park next to others without the wide door of the Evora. But you gotta accept the gymnastics getting in and out of the car.

Exige is definitely noisier but I upgraded my sound system in both cars and it works fine. I regularly take the Exige to the track and while it definitely is noisier it doesn't bother me. On the other hand, its more like a 1.5 seater as you will be pretty chummy with the person next to you (rubbing elbows and what-not). Very cosy inside but once you get in the driving position is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

BTW, the Evora rear seats are for emergency only (for1 person, forget 2) but are useful for storage.

Bottom line - Exige is a go-kart for the street and fun even for daily driving but a bit noisy. Ultimate street/track car so if you think you'll do a lot of AutoX and/or track days definitely get it. Nice dead pedal, very easy to position the car, no one sees you so you have to look for them, point and shoot, lots of fun.

Evora - more expensive, worse gas mileage, easier to be in, quieter, less raw, still pretty fun but not as go-kart like. More elegant. No dead pedal but you can sort of prop your foot up. More torque than the Exige (even the supercharged Exige in my opinion - I have one of each although the Evora S blows the regular Evora away in this department).

Both cars get looks (of course what color you get also makes a huge difference). If you do decide you are interested in an Exige, make sure you are willing to get in and out a number of times and are ok with that.
srwhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #30 (permalink)

Moved from Elise to Evora. Elise had no room for bags, or say very little. With the Evora I can do 2 week holidays with my wife and golf equipment. Also more comfy ride, still all the fun!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #31 (permalink)

I love my Elise to death, but as my lone daily driver? NO way. I love bombing around town, but not for occasional long trips, and my commute is really short. By the way I added a subwoofer and now the sound is awesome.
MTLDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #32 (permalink)

We have both and they are both hugely different cars for all the reasons already stated. Evora is your car with no question about it.
Kevin
Kevin Menshik: 07 Exige S Storm Titanium. Larini de-cat, exhaust. Braille B2015 Battery, cut-off switch. Green filter, CF splitter, side scoops, shifter console & Access panels. Black wheel and horn badges. (SOLD)
61 White Elite S2. As stock as I can get it.
12 Evora GP Edition. Stock.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #33 (permalink)

Garage
Coming from someone who loves their exige - get the evora! I have an m3 that is my daily driver. The exige is a track monster - but not a good cruiser. Forget about the radio, forget about things like cruise control - and don't expect to pack a day bag without it heating up from the exhaust if you put it in the trunk.

OP- if you said you were looking for a car to track that you could drive there, I'd say exige all the way. But for something you can enjoy as a daily driver or as a cruiser I'd personally want the evora over the exige.
scm6079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)