My exciting night at the prison... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
CMP

My exciting night at the prison...

Unfortunately the 'subject' of this post will probably be more entertaining than anything below.

My story isn't too exciting. Ironically, I was running errands last Saturday night for work -- no playing, showboating or tearing it up -- just plain old 9-5 stuff that got carried over past closing... I figured since I had to run errands late on a Saturday night, i should bring the fun car and enjoy. So, at about 12:40am, I left my house. My destination was about 25 miles away and I had the choice of a busy road with the bar crowd, many stop lights and the police patrolling in force... or a semi highway type road with hardly few cars, lights and people. I figured I would go the lone route out and take care of business quickly. Depending on my alertness on the return, I might venture the longer more entertaining route.

They were doing road construction on the semi highway route.

I ran over a huge piece of concrete dropped by a dump truck puncturing the wheel and damaging the rim slightly (more below). I didn't have anywhere to go, so I drove about 1 to 2 miles to a corner store parking lot and sat under a light.

This photo is from about 1:30am - the insurance company tells me the wrecker is on the way. At 3:30 they tell me another one is on the way. after 5am i give up and call the wife to come pick me up. Around 4pm on Sunday I head back out there and we call AAA this time. It takes them about 2 hours, but the Mexican restaurant is open now and we sit and have margaritas and queso until they arrive.

Oddly enough, an agent with AAA was there to spot check the wrecker company. He said something like, "i was stopping by over here for (insert whatever he said) and saw your car and wanted to check it out -- then i saw my logs and couldn't believe you were on the list -- so I stuck around to check up on it." very nice guy. The tow truck driver was nice too -- and either very skilled or lucky. I swear he was a millimeter away from crushing the front lip of the car trying to pull it up on the flatbed. He positioned some blocks of wood just right for it to miss scraping the license plate part.

Luckily, 0 damage to the car -- sounded loud, but the concrete just bounced from the wheel onto the metal shield underneath and made noise -- no damage clam or underbelly damage. the small part of the rim lip of the wheel bent ever so slightly , but discount says i have nothing to fear, the rim is all good. I notice it because,... well I notice it... new tire from discount, road hazard warranty, taxes and such = about $300usd. Tire will be in this next Tuesday and should be on her in time for Thanksgiving.

And finally -- as for the subject of this post -- I was broken down exactly 1 mile from a prison. Probably a safe area, but the signs saying "don't pick up hitchhikers" isn't reassuring!

Moral of the story, I need a new job.
(I ended up having someone else make the delivery on Monday)

thanks for reading.

Last edited by CMP; 11-17-2012 at 07:20 PM.
CMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
3Xtothe0[]

Didn't use the can of fix-a-flat in the trunk...

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Such moderate

hahah, damn misleading thread title!
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

wow, that sounds like a terrible night! I once waited over 8 hours for a tow truck, this was a road side assistance program offered by my cellphone provider at the time. know that feel bro.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
The King Is Dead

Wow....but let me ask the most obvious questions. What exactly is it that you do for a living?

The only people 'making deliveries for work' at 12 midnight on a saturday are pizza delivery boys, pimps and coke dealers!
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, carpeted interior. 100% awesome.
-'69 Leyland MiniMoke - FOR SALE. PM if Interested
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP View Post
I ended up having someone else make the delivery on Monday
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
The only people 'making deliveries for work' at 12 midnight on a saturday are pizza delivery boys
Probably some very unhappy customers there if it was really pizza and they got theirs on Monday.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

oh no!

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | LIDbone | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | Aggie and Pittsburgh Penguins Sticker |
Shirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think I would have tried the fix-a-flat spray before asking for a tow.

I also have a tire repair kit that I would have tried too.

Great that it all worked out, especially after reading about "concrete + Elise" in the same story.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Man......makes me think that if I were to make the same trip, I'd take my explorer instead. The new tires I got (bigger than stock) are almost as tall as my elise.
Jack FFR1846 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
CMP

I have a can of the tire fix-a-flat,... but its sitting in the garage. First thing I thought of as I slapped my head.

job - no.. not a pizza delivery boy -- but that would be a nice ride to zoom around in. We do mall type booths. The malls prefer we modify sets during the time it is closed.

Kimgt - I hear you. AAA was wonderful!

Unfortunately it ripped a nice 2-3" gash on the side wall. I don't think the fix-a-flat would help. nasty big chunk of concrete.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)