Oil line recall, information on how it started - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Oil line recall, information on how it started

i remember with my 07 exige, someone on here gathered information.. or shared information that ultimately caused a recall on the oil lines...

curious what all needed to be done to notify the NHTSA, or did the person just provide a link to NHTSA complaint and everyone complained separately?

i have an issue with another vehicle where the manufacturer has a known engine design flaw where cylinder #8 cracks off the block, coolant rushes into the cylinder and boom a 15-25k replacement job of engine is required.. the manufacturer has made note of it and there is a warranty replacement of product (but only within warranty period).. most if not all owners have gotten past that warranty period and engines are still failing regularly.

any help would be appreciated, also not sure to file under "vehicle complaint" or "equipment" complaint.

the vehicle only came with the one engine from one date to another date.. all engines affected (sooner or later).. and then when the manufacturer realized the problem and addressed it via warranty they swapped engine designs.. so it would clearly documented i feel.

-Riley
Rijowysock@gmail.com
rijowysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure an engine failure would fall under a safety hazard which is required to initiate a recall...
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
I'm not sure an engine failure would fall under a safety hazard which is required to initiate a recall...
Exactly. Recalls through NHTSA campaign are safety related. Unless you can show there is a danger to passengers while normally operating the vehicle, you are out of luck there. And since it sounds like the manufacturer did cover the defect while the car was under warranty too, the deal is done. Warranties have a time limit for a reason.
Life Lesson #1: If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Life Lesson #2: It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

Last edited by me73; 01-08-2013 at 08:22 PM.
me73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm the one that started the whole NHTSA recall thing here on lotustalk. Unfortunately me73 and agirls are right, NHTSA only gets involved if it is a safety issue not a design issue. The process is very easy--just go to safercar.gov and file a safety complaint. If NHTSA receives enough complaints they will open an investigation. I don't think it applies in your case unless you can think of a reason why the failure presents a safety hazard...
bryanf650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)