Ok so what's the real scoop on Lotus? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ok so what's the real scoop on Lotus?

Last I heard from an inside source is that McLaren were going to buy Lotus ... but that seems to have been false or planted (which ever, I don't care).

I'm sick of the BS threads about Lotus sales, blah blah blah. Can someone with "real" information tell me what's going on with Lotus?

No speculation, just facts.

If you don't know, don't contribute because you're just wasting everyone's time.

Yes I know some key lurkers do lurk sooo...

Lotus owners and potential owners deserve the truth ... so lets hear it.

Thanks, Rob.
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

You want concrete facts about what company will announce in the future that it is buying Lotus?

That seems a bit optimistic.
slothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
6i9

Businesses do not announce anything until the deal is done and the press release hounds fire off a stream of corporate drivel.

Until then, everything, even from high-up sources is speculation. I have worked in Automotive for a small OEM and have seen how the rumormill churns with respect to different players snatching up smaller ones here and there. It's one thing to observe legitimate interest as in insider, it's another thing to jump the shark and declare it a deal in process.

You won't know until everyone else knows.

As far as the McLaren story...it's probably as legitimate as the Aston story or the VW story or the Toyota story or the Bahar story...
Suspension: Nitron SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE FF Rotors/Pistons | RC6
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
6i9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think the OP's point was, every time someone posts anything, there are three or for posters who say "don't worry, big things coming, everything will be all right," and "that's not going to happen, just wait," or "I spoke to the factory guys when I was there, and the truth is completely different." So, OP was inviting those who know to say something.

Since these are public companies, doesn't seem likely that they could, even if they did know, unfortunately.
Dylan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Agree with most of the comments, but sitting around doing nothing, saying nothing is not how a car company will sell cars. The longer the delay of information the worse it gets for Lotus ... this is just bad business from the Parent owner.

And yes, the endless speculation does NOTHING to help Lotus either.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
I think the OP's point was, every time someone posts anything, there are three or for posters who say "don't worry, big things coming, everything will be all right," and "that's not going to happen, just wait," or "I spoke to the factory guys when I was there, and the truth is completely different." So, OP was inviting those who know to say something.

Since these are public companies, doesn't seem likely that they could, even if they did know, unfortunately.
I think this is all a big conspiracy by North Korea, they seem to always say "Don't worry, everything will be alright"
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

I think that the OP's expectations are a little too high. NO business is going to publicize internal negotiations with another company. Expecting anyone on this forum to have inside info is rather unreasonable if you ask me.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Half of all deals leak before formal announcement. Especially those with large financing needs or with multiple advisors interviewed for company rep. Those left outside end up leaking to drum up business in another aspect of the deal.

We may hear something, we may not, but it would not be unusual for people to know even if they are not technically on the inside.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
I suspect the people here or the Lotus Group forum that really do know what's going on are bound by a confidentiality agreement.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

no one knows... well, no one that is not sitting in the smoke filled room at least.

the facts are pretty plain however. Danny drove Lotus into somewhere around 300 mil in debt. there is not way Lotus can ever generate enough revenue to pay that down, even more so in light of they have nothing to show for that 'investment'. Lotus can only survive if some rich stupid charitable person gives away a large sum of money, or the creditors write off the debt, or Lotus is liquidated and the debt is never recovered.

then there is an F1 team, named Lotus, that is getting nothing from Lotus. that is not sustainable. Genii is either - looking to pick up lotus post liquidation (or some form of that) or sell off the team, which would allow a yet again name change. the only thing here is that the troll seems to have no love for the danny fiasco, and might treat the team with some favorable action - regardless, i believe all the teams need to vote on a name a change - which they did last year... a radical scenario here is that TF picks up the F1 team, and with danny gone strikes a deal to buy the team Lotus rights. at that point TF would need nothing from Lotus proper.... and Lotus could be left to die, or he buys it all out at liquidation.

selling Lotus to (insert / Chinese, proton production cars, whatever...) will never pen out, due to the 300mil problem. and you are back to the liquidation or write off scenarios that must first happen (although we may only hear of both at the same time) .

it would appear DRB was not successful in negotiating write off of the debt, otherwise they would be back in an operational mode.

there has a been a very astute observation that since there is no business explanation... there is perhaps a political one... in which case what happen to Lotus, is really of no consequence.
"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

I heard a rumor that Google is going to buy Lotus and make a self-driving track car (with a 6-foot tall mast with sensors mounted on the rollbar).

Originally they wanted to buy Lexus and rename it Nexus in line with their phones and tablets, but Toyota weren't interested in selling. Now they plan to buy Lotus and rename it Loxus.

In keeping with their Chrome operating system and web browser, they're going to replace the extruded aluminum chassis and fiber glass body panels with chrome. The prototypes for this can already be seen in the upcoming movie, "The Host", as discussed in this thread:

Looks like the Evora will be used in a movie called "The Host"

/sarcasm ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
Danny drove Lotus into somewhere around 300 mil in debt. there is not way Lotus can ever generate enough revenue to pay that down, even more so in light of they have nothing to show for that 'investment'. Lotus can only survive if some rich stupid charitable person gives away a large sum of money, or the creditors write off the debt, or Lotus is liquidated and the debt is never recovered.

it would appear DRB was not successful in negotiating write off of the debt, otherwise they would be back in an operational mode.

there has a been a very astute observation that since there is no business explanation... there is perhaps a political one... in which case what happen to Lotus, is really of no consequence.
All that debt is not going to disappear by creditor forgiveness or liquidation. Proton guaranteed that loan, and creditors aren't going to walk away while Proton has any assets. Since DRB now owns a controlling interest in Proton, that leaves them in the position of needing to make Lotus solvent or finding a buyer willing to assume that debt, otherwise they're on the hook for it.
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
6i9

The dots all connect!
Suspension: Nitron SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE FF Rotors/Pistons | RC6
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
I suspect the people here or the Lotus Group forum that really do know what's going on are bound by a confidentiality agreement.
So Lotus demise is top secret? I think is time to write a book called "Seconds from impact, the Bahar story" Lol
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

the real scoop is...

Three more payments and its mine, all mine!

you meant my lotus didnt you?

Enjoying Lotus performance because of its nature, not because of its quantity
doug_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
6i9

OK, I can only spill as much as I can without violating the NDA I signed. I used to work for an OEM with supplier ties to Lotus, and there are several interesting things in the pipeline. DRB-Hicom has been in talks with several Japanese manufacturers, and the people at Norfolk have told me that the REAL scoop on Lotus is...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

Lotus begin delivery of the Exige S to dealers | The Lotus Forums

Ahem, Ahem
Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6i9 View Post
OK, I can only spill as much as I can without violating the NDA I signed. I used to work for an OEM with supplier ties to Lotus, and there are several interesting things in the pipeline. DRB-Hicom has been in talks with several Japanese manufacturers, and the people at Norfolk have told me that the REAL scoop on Lotus is...

Actually, that's the old scoop, the new scoop is....
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

ABE,
I love my S260 Sport... If they brought over the Evora GTE body and a tuned v6 400hp I'd be all over it...

If ther brought over the Exige v6 I'd downright own it.. you and I would be taling on color/options.
Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
I think that the OP's expectations are a little too high. NO business is going to publicize internal negotiations with another company. Expecting anyone on this forum to have inside info is rather unreasonable if you ask me.
Really, how do you know? I do know Lotus lurkers do visit this forum and are very aware.

How would you like to lose your job -- exposing content as an attempt to getting something to happen (anything) and getting fired from Lotus or silently phased out with crappy compensation package (or not)? Sometimes the exposing of real content can have a positive effect, yes it's a risk, but at this point, what's to be lost?

No expectations, maybe just poking people back to life
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)