ok... So why Lotus? - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #81 (permalink)

Garage
They drive amazing, look great and are unique. I'm really not one to go down the vanilla side of life. I fight mass marketing as best I can and try to be my own man as best I can and still survive in society (and retain a job to pay for what I want). My vehicles are specific to thier purpose. The Jeep gets me in the mountains, the convertible gets wind in my hair, the bike makes me free and slightly scared, the Lotus is fun and cool!
For Sale -> 2004 Triumph Daytona 955i - PM Me! (0-60 = 2.9 secs) - Hold on tight!
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #82 (permalink)

I raced SCCA for a couple years and live a stones throw from Sebring Intl' Raceway. I was there for the 12 hour in 2004 and Lotus was there with the new line of ( Elise ) sports cars. It was the first car I saw in a long time where the front and back of the car both looked good, that was my first impression. I did some research for a year after that and was impressed with the amount of engineering that was put into the Elise. It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to understand the value of horsepower to weight, so over 200 at 2000 pounds is a good ratio for a performance car. I purchased a 2005 with 4000 miles on it in 06' and it is in my garage to this day, and I still like driving and looking at it, and have sold many of my toys since, but won't part with my bright yellow Lotus. The Elise drives and handles equal or better than my race car, and if I was young and dumb I might of took it to the track, but at 52 and self-employed I understand the value of a dollar, and they don't come as easy these days.
I think the best part of owning an Lotus Elise at my age, and this is probably for a few of us, can't let our gut get too big, not much room to the steering wheel.
whobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #83 (permalink)

Have to post on that, too...

I was a little kid (I think 8yrs. or so), when a Lotus Esprit did overtake our Family car and I asked my dad, which car that was... i was really upset by the speed and the looks of the car, but he did not know. But a "lucky" circumstance made us take a look at that car again, because there was a traffic jam just a few kilometers ahead. As the Lotus had no chance to escape, my dad told me that this must be a Lotus. I remember, this one did not have a lettering on the back, but my dad new the badge ACBC from F1 racing.

And this is one of the guesses that come to my mind as well, when thinking about Lotus. This brand has a racing heritage! I remember famous drivers like Senna who drove Lotus as well.

Growing up, I was very much interested in cars and in Racing and I was really interested in Lotus. When I saw one in a Film (e.g. James Bond, Pretty Woman or sth. like that) and everybody kept wondering which car this was, I was the first to say "come on guys, this is a Lotus!"). I bought some books about Lotus as well and so I have been introduced in the spirit of a true engineer, Mr. Alan Colin Bruce Chapman. At his time, that man really changed a lot in his business.

All the knowledge about that even got me hooked to compound fibre "engineering", which I did successfully for years on my own in my garage (building parts for my cars).

I did not have enough money to buy an S1 Elise when it came out. Later, I started a late study (age 28!) which made me sell 2 of my 3 cars and promising myself to buy a Lotus, when study-time is over and money drops in.

And this is how I ended up with my first Lotus Elise (111R) a few years ago now.

Now that I own it, I cannot imagine to sell it again. It is so much more than for example an MR2. It is really really fast, I enjoy every single curve I take with that ultimate racing tool. On a small winded road... there are not many cars faster than an Elise left... in fact, I did not yet meet one (not claiming that there is none!).

There is nothing between you and the car, there is nothing between the car and the street. No filters... no electronic baby sitting and no need for that as well... A really sensational way to drive. When asked, I always say a normal car compared to Lotus is like comparing an oridnary knife to a scalpel.

Beside all this, it is incredibly affordable. A set tires for a season comes cheap (500 Euros), the insurance is cheap as well (500 Euros for 7 months unlimited fun) and if you are cruisin, the car does many kilometers as well with the little fuel in its tank. You can fix most of the problems yourself and should there be a technical defect of the motor... drop one in for some 2000 Euros and you are done again (or do an engine swap/ upgrade). Maybe driving a Porsche GT3 is also a lot of fun, but it will cost you 10 times the money you spend on an Elise (Evora and Esprit are not that cheap to drive I think, although these are "do-wants" in my list as well).

I think I could not be happier with an other car. Perhaps I buy a Seven some time later or an MK1 Elise with enginge upgrade or sth. like that.

The car has
  • the performance
  • the heritage
  • the art of engineering
  • the looks
  • an affordable pricing

Where I am from, I think you have more prestige driving a BMW M3 (which is approx. same pricing when you buy it used)... but I don't give a damn what anybody else is thinking about my Elise. It is simply too much fun.

All this makes it my choice.
rpm8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #84 (permalink)

Garage
And, I had a big slot car as a kid in the early 70's that was a Lotus. And, a more recent show on discovery or speed that showed you can get near super-car performance in a more realistic price range. Then......I drove some....... Everything else driven disappointed after that.
Attached Images

For Sale -> 2004 Triumph Daytona 955i - PM Me! (0-60 = 2.9 secs) - Hold on tight!
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille

Last edited by Lckitty; 04-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESlaughter View Post
So.... why Lotus?

Why did you guys spend your 30k or greater on a mid engine go-kart? What makes you LOVE Lotus? Am I the only one who calls random (ugly) girls at the bar by my car's name to make them seem remotely interesting? Why not get a BMW? (If I hear the last one again.... one word. Columbine)

Why did I get one? I am 20 years old, kinda wealthy (for my age), single and I hate all of my friends.

I personally expect every answer to be the same as mine, for I am curtain that everyone here is young, has some cash to throw around, single and hates their friends... At least on the inside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First off: Sorry about the "some what negative" post about age/wealth. I did not mean for that to be a focus of this discussion. I simply posted it to give you guys an insight about my current position in life. I am no where near rich, but compared to other kids my age, I am better off.

Because of this nature, my friends always used me, I won't go into detail... but we all know the feeling.

---With that, lets forgot the entire comment.---

The REAL reason why I thought lotus was simple. Joy.

The funny thing is I first heard of Lotus thru the Tesla Roadster! I fell in love with the body and then only to find out it was made by a different company. Because of that it really got me into cars and discovered the best TV show of all time (Top Gear) while everyone has those phases "BMW is the best" 2 days later "No Lambo" Lotus has always put a smile on my face.

I even remember the first time I saw a Lotus. I would not let the driver leave with my endless bombardment of questions.

Anyways.... The lotus is perfect for me, the only driving I do is on the weekends (for fun) and for school, but thats only September - April (for the winter I plan on taking the Bus... like I did last year)

I have a new question for everyone.... What is the best thing about *your* Lotus. I LOVE taking the lotus out and having small kids gauk at it, quickly running up to my car and asking for a ride. (Which I do, if I am not busy and with parental permission.)
....if I was smart I'd buy a car that would get me laid. ..but with what I've done to my car at this point, ill surely die alone.
m3trik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #86 (permalink)

why did i buy a lotus:
because I'm cheap and i'm an attention whore .....
oh and i can actually enjoy it without fear of jail!
2008 Buell XB9SX
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #87 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Was intrigued by one when I saw the first Exige tearing up the canyons where I ride my Ducati. I had a BMW 650i which was 360hp/360ft-lbs. and over-engineered with triple redundant computer systems, 13 speaker stereo with 2 subwoofers under the seat to transmit all the bass, and every luxury item including a heated steering wheel for those cold SoCal winters... along with 3800 pounds of weight. It was also pretty dang big and heavy feeling even though it drove beautifully through turns with the active suspension that cancels out all body roll.

So when I was done with that car and looking for my next car, I wanted something totally opposite of it, which was the Lotus. Way spartan interior with zero luxury other than my aftermarket seat warmers for cruising top down in winter, and a crap radio that you can't hear most of the time, and about half the weight of the BMW, I was in love. It was everything I wanted at that time.

Paid way more than you for my 09 with factory warranty though, and I don't hate my friends, and I have a little more money than others my age... not obscene, but enough to indulge myself from time to time.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #88 (permalink)

Why I bought one.....

Open wheel racing is my passion.
Elise/Exige is a street legal "formula" racer, with fenders.
It handles and feels like a formula racer.
No other street-legal road cars in the US come anywhere close to this connection, although Zanardi NSX, at 2900 lbs. with no power steering and stiff suspensions, weighs in a distant 2nd.

That's it, in a nutshell.

I suspect everyone here feels that same way.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #89 (permalink)

I'm a bit of a minimalist. I wanted a fun car with exceptional agility just for the driving experience, without the bells and whistles I rarely use anyway. M3's and Boxsters are nice, and I'll probably return to one of them when I mature (only 57 now), but for now there is no other choice. The fact this small British sports car also prompts happy memories of riding in my Dad's TR3 is icing on the cake.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #90 (permalink)

Exotic looks with a Toyota engine! Must have been created by the guy who put the chocolate together with the peanut butter. I just couldn't sell myself on a Ferarri or Lambo!
Leojmcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #91 (permalink)

Garage
Hard to answer...

I could have done like "everyone else" and bought a Porsche, but I have driven my share of them and none that were as much fun to drive as a Lotus. (only one I'd really want is a 997 GT3RS, but I can't afford one) I addition I have a compulsion to not do what everyone else does.

Looks are important, hence I bought a 2008 since I really think the enhanced roof scope improves the look of the whole car immensely.

I like the lightness and no-nonsense concept of the car. A lotus makes a poor daily driver, but an amazingly fun ride.

A Lotus had a lot higher WAF than a Caterham. Yes, my wife drives this car whenever she feels like it. It is her car as well.

And last, but not least... getting in my Lotus and driving off puts a smile on my face that lasts for the whole ride and sometimes longer. It is simply fun to drive.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Visit my photo gallery
Iveria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post
Aside from just the enjoyment of driving the car, I enjoy the heritage. I love knowing the badge on the nose has adorned F1 Constructor's Champions, Indy Champ, class winners at LeMans, etc. etc. etc.

I've owned 9, so far. Don't know that I can really articulate why. There are a lot of rational reasons why not to. But there you have it.
This is a lot of my reasoning. Plus, there is that "underdog" status thing that seems to apply too. Lotus is the "little sports car company that could". They've been on the brink of disaster a million times but always end up hanging around. They are the alternate exotic choice to some of those stuffy Italian brands if you know who I mean. And, model for model they often beat those Italian cars as an overall package.

Lotus has also managed to stay true to sports car roots. No overly draconian software that drive the car for you, real shfiters, connection to the road, all that good stuff. Many current sports & exotics are more worried about creature comforts and "features" as opposed to the real "sporting" aspect of it.

Plus - that English charm..... which is just a way of us Lotus owners to justify our cars very odd behavior sometimes.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #93 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Plus - that English charm..... which is just a way of us Lotus owners to justify our cars very odd behavior sometimes.
You mean... The parts falling off this car are of the finest British manufacture?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #94 (permalink)

Why Lotus?

Simple Answer: It's About the Driving!

PS: I am a lot older than previous posters and could have gone much more upscale (price wise), but have never regretted my choice.

fredkto
2007 type 72D, Sports Pack, Lotus Harness Bar, Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses, Larini Sports Cat, Larini SE Exhaust, Hard Top, Passport 9500i, ForcedFed Engine Damper, Sector 111 Shifter Kit Plus Stan's Shifter Mod, Sector 111 Katana Supercharger, Custom Gauging
fredkto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #95 (permalink)

Its L O T U S or nothing!!!

Like previous people have said......"Love at first sight!!!"

It's the PURE feeling of something RAW at your fingertips....

Really....is it just me.....or did all of you get that GRIN the first time you even touched it, let alone sit, start, or drive it!!!

Also, every time I give someone a ride in it.....They say... I WANT ONE!!!

of course you do....of course you do

Now THAT is SOMETHING!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #96 (permalink)

Actually, I wanted a lotus 7 with a roof.
Then when I heard the Elise had a corolla power train, I wanted one.
I already had a corolla XRS with the same power train.
As an 80 year old ex SCCA racer, I appreciate the Elise even if I m too old to really run the hell out of it.
After 38,000 miles I still think it s the best rollerskate for me.
I ve put a blower kit on it (myself) and changed the clutch the next year, (myself) and enjoyed all of it.
I bumped a deer, and a raccoon, and a big dog. I've changed the radiator, too.
It s just a Tinkertoy.
There s not another a many times the price that I want.
No, I really can't AFFORD it, but I enjoy it.
I sat in one in Daytona at bike week.
I bought a new leftover and drove it home.
Never regretted the purchase.
Sam in the dirty Elise
Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #97 (permalink)

Already owning a Porsche 911 Turbo, I was looking for another 911, looking for over two years for the right one. Took a long test drive and even a buddy lent me his '89 911 for a week and I loved it. More visceral and more connected to the ground.

Then I just happened to see this Elise. It was like love at first sight, I shook my head, knowing that this was trouble...lots of trouble. I couldn't resist. Took her for a test drive and with a little bit of checking, bought her!

Love at first sight! And still amazed at this car! It's about the closest you can get to a Formula Ford racecar as you can get on the street!

Why? Cause I knew it would be trouble.
'08 Elise SC: LSD, Track Pack, Tour Pack, TC, Burnt Orange Paint, Starshield, Larini Clubsport muffler, 3 way Nitrons
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #98 (permalink)

DocWong nailed it !

And really why Lotus for me ? The most honest answer is ... The LT community... evilpeople

You put up with all my STUPIT questions for almost 2 years ! The patience of seasoned criminals educating me when I talked about modifying a dream car I did not even own yet !

And of course I finally arrived at that fateful error... I test drove one...

It is pretty clear that it's terminal now and I will perish this world an insane Lotus fanatic. I honestly really appreciate it everyone. You unfortunatly now have a True Believer on your hands ! Thank You ! Motard

Last edited by Motard; 05-01-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Motard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #99 (permalink)

Ummm.. because sometimes someone needs a ride and they like Lotus cars.

ravencliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #100 (permalink)

LOL!!!

The driving experience is very unique!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
'08 Elise SC: LSD, Track Pack, Tour Pack, TC, Burnt Orange Paint, Starshield, Larini Clubsport muffler, 3 way Nitrons
DocWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)