Question for the catless people - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzflair View Post
I figured since the exige is "boosted" I went catless since I figured I'd see some (but not much) gain with the custom koldfire tune. Saved weight over stock anyway. Someone was talking about cat blocking up, etc. and I didn't want to deal with that down the road.
How much does the stock cat weigh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket3 View Post
I thought it was pointless without mods or tuning after removal? Is there any benefit that has been documented on a stock engine.
My car will be supercharged and tuned at the same time so I should see some extra power gains from a decat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellzy View Post
I went catless on my 09 JCW the smell was no to bad, but it was a lot louder.
That was my last car! I miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
Whats you guys are not mentioning is its illegal to remove the cat ! If the cops bust you its a Hefty fine.
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtush View Post
shoot a few flames and burn the gasses off

I'll just leave this here....PS thats my old Elise
If my car will shoot flames.... I'm sold

Hahaha

Thanks for all the responses so far. From the sounds of it the smell is there, but not overwhelming. I'm fine with that, just as long as it's not making people sick in my car.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
ERP

There is another option. A metal core catalytic converter is lighter and flows better than a ceramic core due to the lower cell density. I've had good results in the past on other cars.

Ceramic Core:

Metal Core:
2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Track Pack Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
ERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarenar View Post
I have one with decat, no smell, just louder.
+ 1
Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Whats you guys are not mentioning is its illegal to remove the cat ! If the cops bust you its a Hefty fine.
Right you are Brian.
holmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

Not catless. Sorry but resistance was futile.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoguide1356485384.503046.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  208.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Touring Pack
08 Honda S2000 CR Apex Pearl Blue
Ned M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
You must be a lot of fun at parties.
MotoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Maybe I'm tempting fate but I can't imagine too many cops (at least LA cops) getting down on their hands and knees at a traffic stop and checking to make sure I haven't removed my catalytic converter. Passing a smog test is the issue for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumiloti View Post
Maybe I'm tempting fate but I can't imagine too many cops (at least LA cops) getting down on their hands and knees at a traffic stop and checking to make sure I haven't removed my catalytic converter. Passing a smog test is the issue for me.
Most of the time it is done via the sniff test. If they can smell your exhaust and you have already given them an excuse to fine you, they may tack it on.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #29 (permalink)
Such moderate

So tempting to do this.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
Most of the time it is done via the sniff test. If they can smell your exhaust and you have already given them an excuse to fine you, they may tack it on.
Don't know if it's because I had it tuned for the decat but I've never noticed a smell.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGeek View Post
You must be a lot of fun at parties.
Well its a big fine around $ 10,000 if they catch you. Thats Australia i'm talking about. Not sure what the fines are in your country.
I'm no party pooper but I fitted a sport cat which is probably still illegal.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #32 (permalink)

I removed the cat from my 88 Esprit and noticed no significant increase in performance or sound, I dont think the 4 cyl. Esprit has a great exhaust note to begin with though. But it did smell alot worse than usual, and backfired on decelleration alot. I could have left it off because my car will be 25 yrs old which no longer requires an inspection in my state, just one time photos of the car being in good condition and sent to the DMV. I reinstalled my cat though so it doesnt backfire anymore and I think it actually gave it a little more low end that was lost when I removed the cat, I had heard something about this before that the cat makes more back pressure for low end power on a small motor.

Just for FYI

I had a 78 Trans am that I installed cats back on cause it smelled real bad upon removing them, on one occasion I almost killed by fumigation the entire line behind me at a slow Mcdonalds drive thru, on this one occasion it was killing me as well. But on this car removing the cats made it sound incredible, but its was a 6.6L.

But I had a 94 Mustang GT that I removed the cats from and it made a miraculous difference in sound and HP (at least HP by feel that is, might of been in my head), and it made not much smell at all, it had just a tiny hint of gas smell in the exhaust, of course I did this to the Mustang about 2 months after buying so it was brand new yet. What I did notice on this car was you could drive the car all night cruising and with the cats off and it almost never got real hot, you could put your hand on the intake almost always it ran so cool. With the cats on it was always real hot at least in the two months I had them on it was.

One of my first cars was a Dodge Shadow 2.2L LOL, I removed the cat from this car just to make alot of noise, and thats exactly what it did not do, made no difference at all on this car, when is the last time anyone saw a Dodge Shadow? LOL
amanda11270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
ERP

It is possible to have both a cat and catless setup at the touch of a button. The exhaust layout of the Elise/Exige is perfect for adding a remote butterfly valve to bypass the cat and muffler for track days or when you just want to be loud. Weld in a straight pipe after the collector, connect it to the exhaust tip and use an electric or manual valve to open and close the bypass.

Being tailgated? Give them the full exhaust with backfires. Passing a cop? Close it up.

2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Track Pack Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
ERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Yes with the radium ems system you can run a button to hit that will open the baffle and change the tune on the fly'

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
FistHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #35 (permalink)

Interestingly, I had a catless turbo mr2, and even on the good gas, never really smelled of fuel. My current car, a heads/cam corvette, WITH high flow cats, will make your eyes water standing behind it. I think that's more a function of the cam timing and tune then the cat alone.
VFR800/CB750K8
fatallightning is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)