Ramifications of Lotus potentially going under? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #41 (permalink)

Texevora, what is your 2nd choice for a sportscar? Mine was the Porsche Cayman S.I took my 2003 Nissan 350Z to test drive the Elise SC and just left the Z at the dealership and drove home with the Elise. I never got to drive the Porsche. The fun factor was so high with the Elise I did not want to pass it up!
ScottZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #42 (permalink)

Garage
Well, i'm not sure i ever really had a surefire 2nd choice (I ended up getting a '12 Evora S just before new years). Leading up to the purchase however, I test drove a Cayman S, a Carrera, and a Carrera 4S. Generally speaking I liked the way the Porsches drove, but i didn't really LOVE any of them. Whereas in the Evora S I was grinning like an idiot before even starting the motor. Another huge factor in deciding against the Porsches is that there are literally thousands of them here in the DFW area, so there is literally zero wow factor when i see them. In my mind, Porsches are the iPhones of sports cars. Good/solid all around, but nothing to get excited about (and the styling doesn't change. Ever.)

I will say I also test drove a GT-R. It was ABSURDLY fast, but the styling just didn't do it for me, and I can't say I truly enjoyed driving it. Just knowing all the electronics that it uses to get from point A to point B takes a lot of the cerebral enjoyment out of driving in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZ View Post
Texevora, what is your 2nd choice for a sportscar? Mine was the Porsche Cayman S.I took my 2003 Nissan 350Z to test drive the Elise SC and just left the Z at the dealership and drove home with the Elise. I never got to drive the Porsche. The fun factor was so high with the Elise I did not want to pass it up!
texevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #43 (permalink)

Garage
this sums up my thoughts pretty nicely

Lotus Evora S Review: Composed British Brute - Car Throttle
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #44 (permalink)

Garage
What would happen to my Lotus warranty. I worry that the dealer would stop supporting it if there is no funding.....
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #45 (permalink)

Garage
Beats me... I convinced myself that Lotus has been on the brink countless times throughout its history, and this time around is no different. It's a real shame what Bahar did to the company though. If only they hadn't handed that jackass the keys to the castle Lotus would be in much better shape.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #46 (permalink)

LC, just drive the car. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll eat up your 36K warranty. Also, the more you drive it, the quicker you'll ID any anomalies. If some do come up, the dealer will take care of you. There's no imminent threat of Lotus folding in the next few months.
F1 SML8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #47 (permalink)

Just my two cents.
My DD is is a 72 VW Baja bug.
I have no problem finding parts for it and if I can't find the part it's quite easy to get it made or find a suitable sub.
My Exige is a work of art, most people tell me they would be afraid to drive it. My attitude is you can get busy looking at it, or get busy driving it.

To many people die on this planet every day muttering, "should have","could have", or "would have"...........Don't be one of them!

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #48 (permalink)

Did you know Porsche decided to stop making the 911 and its variants years ago and got many offers right away to take over production or manage from outside?
The model came back at a higher price.
Lotus sevens only got better when lotus stopped making them and others carried on.
The glass parts are very easy to mold and reproduce. I make windsurf boards and car parts in a limited way and we would like to make variant shells with updated styling if Lotus gives up the supply line on those. They would cost less than the carbon ones made now, as well as less than Lotus ones.
Aztec 7 Electric Component car,
Aztec 7 Porsche suspension,
aluminum Buick V8
keycocker1@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #49 (permalink)

Garage
DRB Hicom Confident Of Turning Loss-Making Lotus Around

Conveniently, three years is how long my warranty runs for!

All kidding aside though, with DRB-Hicom, while they haven't exactly been forthcoming with respect to news, what little has dribbled out appears to me like they are in Lotus for the long haul.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZ View Post
This story is why Lotus cars will always have value and a market. And, because of that, there will likely always be a cottage industry of parts suppliers.

What I wonder is what would happen to the classic Lotuses like my Esprit Turbo. Do they go up because of rarity and the fact that at the time theye were quite liked? Or, do they sink further into oblivion? Either way, Mine aint going anywhere unless my hand is forced.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #51 (permalink)
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
All kidding aside though, with DRB-Hicom, while they haven't exactly been forthcoming with respect to news, what little has dribbled out appears to me like they are in Lotus for the long haul.
That's exactly what DRB has said right along.

Just wondering if people here follow Lotus on Twitter. They don't post a lot of business news, but they do tweet frequently about new dealerships, car show exhibits, motorsports-related stuff, etc.
2011 Xterra, for 6 months of winter
KCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)