The roads around Hethel - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

The roads around Hethel

Greetings to all my American cousins from across the pond!

I figured a few of you might like to see what it's like to drive your Elise back home to the Lotus factory at Hethel. Well here it is:

The roads are pretty cool. The factory is great but they don't allow filming past the security gates so this is the best I could do.

Thanks to all for your interest in our little sports cars.

I can't get enough of them but knowing what they cost over in the US compared to what you get for less from Detroit I salute all of you who have bought a Lotus! You could have had a GT500 plus change but went for an Elise instead.

Hoorah!

Best

EB
English Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Thanks for posting EB,
Nostalgia....I must have driven that same route back in the 70's.
Lived in Essex and drove all over East Anglia in my Elans.
Cheers,
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

Cool ! ( I'm on my 3rd Lotus--had a 71 Europa in the late 70's and a 74 Europa ) 05 Elise now.
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

You're on the wrong side of the road!!!

Jk, thanks for posting! It was cool to see the Evora pass by.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygotesoup View Post
It was cool to see the Evora pass by.
that was so awesome. if that ever happened to me just once...

But yeah, thanks for posting this! So much fun to see.
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was great to see the countryside again after ten years. Thanks for posting

"Take me home country roads... back to where I belong"

John Denver
Type82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hey thanks for posting this really cool video. Great idea.

We were there last July.

Nice looking car too.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (home again!)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders) 2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP)
1980 Rover SD1 (new home)
XHILR8N! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
that was so awesome. if that ever happened to me just once...
You never know when it may happen. I have particular model of Mustang that the owners tend to be fanatical about and was produced in similar numbers to the Elise. Despite the fact that I've driven the car 35,000 miles in the last 12 years (and at least a third of those were in SE Michigan), I have never encountered another one while driving my Mustang (but of course, when I'm driving some other car...)

And yet, a couple of months after I bought my Elise, I ended up pulling up next to another one at a stoplight in a random small town in South Jersey. Around here, there are not that many unusual or enthusiast cars. If you see another nice car, it's a Porsche, BMW or Benz. Both me and the other owner were quite surprised.

To OP: Neat Video. I've often wondered what it's like around the factory. Hope to get out to Hethel someday.
WERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Nice vid! Thanks for posting! Best to polish off that drive with a couple of pints of Woodforde's Wherry!
eurosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I agree, nice video. it's been years since I've been in that area. My ex's grandmother used to live in the old school house at Hintlesham near Ipswich, about 40 miles from Hethel.

2007 Arctic Silver Metallic Elise, Touring Pack, Traction Control, Stage 2 Exhaust
1996 Checkmate Pulse 186, Merc 200 EFI

Sold list: 1987 Merkur XR4Ti, 1973 Porsche 911T, 1970 Triumph TR-6, 1974 Porsche 914
Arctic Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
EB:

Great to see those local roads around Hethel again after so many years, I've been on that road a few times. Just curious as to what your highest speed was during that run and did I see some speed cameras along the way?

Interesting that I have a AA road atlas of Great Britain that I picked up over there a couple of years ago and Hethel is so small it's not even shown on the map and the scale is 3 miles to an inch.

2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Daily Driver)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
LotusGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

EB, thanks for posting that. It looks like SOOOO much fun!!! If I may, can I ask how you'd recommend I get up to Hethel from Heathrow if I come for a visit this winter? Rental car? Train? Is there any lodging in Hethel or just in nearby Norwich?

When you say that there's no filming past the security gate, I'm a little confused as others have posted pix of the inside of the factory.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Oh, and thank YOU guys for continuing to make them! Perhaps you can put a bug in the higher ups' ears about making the new Exige street legal in the States.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Nice video. Thanks.

I liked the little pat on the dash towards the end.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

that was very cool... thanks for posting it s winter here... but this video got me pumped up, and there is nothing i can do, but go sit in my car for 3 min to cool off!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ha! Glad someone noticed the pat on the dash. It was really nice to bring my car back home. Sentimental nonsense of course but my car and I have a special bond!

They're definitely pretty strict about photos in there, I have seen some of the production line but they must be officially approved shots or something. I've never seen any home video of the inside of the factory.

A pilgrimage to Hethel is great. There's use of the redeveloped test track too with the Lotus Driving Academy (highly recommend that) plus the Lotus Heritage centre is a treasure trove of historic F1 cars. Factory tour is great too. Best way would be to rent a car from the airport and drive up there (on the wrong side remember!) bring a satnav or rent one. Just remember the rental car can't corner at 100mph on your way home!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
EB, thanks for posting that. It looks like SOOOO much fun!!! If I may, can I ask how you'd recommend I get up to Hethel from Heathrow if I come for a visit this winter? Rental car? Train? Is there any lodging in Hethel or just in nearby Norwich?

When you say that there's no filming past the security gate, I'm a little confused as others have posted pix of the inside of the factory.
I'd say just rent a car (find an Evora), once you're out of London it's not a bad drive. I went up there a little over a year ago - my brother lived near Heathrow and from there to Hethel and back was an easy day trip - although we didn't do the track day. I believe theres a B&B near the factory that people use.

As for pictures, you have to leave your camera at the gate. CTL does allow them though which is nice. There have been a few organized trips like Roberts from BRGs last year where they were allowed more access and cameras - they're the pics you've seen

Finally thanks to the OP for the vid, it's amazing how much of a location you can remember when you are excited to be there. I remember tearing up the roads vividly in a clapped out Mondeo rental - I soooo wanted to have a Lotus there

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
cornbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm impressed how many here have visited Hethel. It's our idea of quite a long way from London but I guess 3 hours in a car doesn't get you very far across the US!

Too few brits appreciate what they've got though, way too many porsches over here, quite tragic really as lotus are really struggling at the moment. Exige V6 is selling well though thank goodness.

I'm fortunate to have driven one already, it's brilliant. Then again, so is an Evora S! Not a bad thing to tool around in while you're waiting for Lotus to get the Exige 'federalised'.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
pax

Sorry to be "that guy", but is there no law about staying in your lane in Norfolk? :P

2007 Lotus Exige S - SOLD
2005 Lotus Elise - SOLD
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks EB - very nice video! While it is winter here in Maryland it was 50 degrees and brilliant sunshine yesterday and today! Started yesterday with a ' cars and coffee' at dawn with several other Lotus . Met a freind and his CO Exige for a long blast among the rural roads of our state - a memorable day! I returned home only 20 hours ago but your video makes it feel like a month ago. I think the Evora needs another walk! Cheers!
pazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)