The roads around Hethel - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM
I would be lying if I didn't admit I choked up a bit. Beautiful.
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
We were surprised at the narrowness of the country roads (lanes?) around that area. Narrow even in our rental Ford. It made more sense as to why Lotus chose to build mostly small cars. It would be nice to take another trip and see it all again.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=English Bob;1838560]I'm impressed how many here have visited Hethel. It's our idea of quite a long way from London but I guess 3 hours in a car doesn't get you very far across the US!/QUOTE]

A difference between British and Americans: 100 miles is a long way to a Brit, 100 yrs is a long time to an American.

Great video, thank you for posting this. Fun to see a Lotus exercising in its native habitat.

2011 Elise R | Last US market Aspen White with Black Pack to leave Hethel |
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Nice vid of the roads into the plant. I went down that road a year and a half ago and was surprised at the speed limit. Over here it would 35, there I think it was 50 ans was told that it was lowered because of many incidents by over enthusiastic drivers leaving the plant.

There is a youtube video,
, that shows a lot of inside factory shots. Like the car, the factory is a simple place, more like a big garage/body shop than a modern assembly line with lots of robots. There were two lines the day I was there, one assembling Eliges and the other Evoras. A few Teslas were there also. Very interesting place and process.

If I could have timed it differently, I would have spend some time at the driving school and gone across the street to Classic Lotus.

2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for posting that video EB, it reminded me of the 4 photo radar tickets I got the last time I was in the UK.

Esprit fans will notice the three parked in the lot to the right of the main security gate house, (two V8's and a pearl white Turbo Esprit).

They belong to Lotus Engineering and were used as test beds for many Lotus ASO parts programmes.

It was always great visiting the Lotus factory, especially the time I took my dad to show him what it is all about.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
I'm going back to the factory next week.

I've just ordered an Exige V6 Cup so going to look at colours and try the optional ohlins dampers out.

Will report!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Elise Driver
Thank you so much for sharing; those trees will be going by a bit quicker in the Exige!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Drove the Exige V6 around those lanes and yes the trees do fly past a lot quicker!

It was left hand drive too, don't know how you guys do it, it felt very strange. I never knew how off centre everything was until I tried LHD!

Great car though, I hope they federalise it for you.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 02:31 PM
awesome video! I wonder how Lotus' farmer neighbors feel about 60+ years of flybys!

David Avery
06 Lotus Exige | 08 BMW M3 Cab
visit focusedE
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.