Shift points for Elise and Exige S 240 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Shift points for Elise and Exige S 240

The latest proActive magazine from Lotus Engineering has a fascinating article about the differences in performance between an electric Evora 414e Hybrid with 6 speed combustion powered Evora S.

Proactive Magazine | Lotus Cars

At first, on paper, it appears the electric car with maximum torque at zero revolutions will be significantly faster. Adding in a bunch of factors shows the internal combustion engine will be the primary propulsion for years to come. The article included a bunch of torque curves and shift points for the Evora.

Long ago, after putting my Elise on the dyno and gathering the torque figures, I created a chart that shows where the optimum shift point are. No, you are not fastest when shifting at the red line rather you should shift where the torque any given gear crosses to the next gear. The shift lights in the 2008 and newer instruments help.

Lotus Elise Information, Shift Points, Chart

Can some kind person please send me some actual dynamometer runs for the Exige S 240? I will be happy to create the chart showing the optimum shift points.

You respond with a private message or find my real email on my website, contact listed at the bottom of the index on the page listed above.

thank you,

Michael

The Sands Mechanical Museum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

From what I understand, you are supposed to shift so that the next gear lands in the heart of your torque so that you keep accelerating as quickly as possible
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

shift points optimized for Acceleration? Most of the SC cars dynos I have seen are pretty much linear all the way to redline (implied Constant tq). I think this implies redline is the optimum shift point to maximize acceleration.
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nod, the Katana 265 kit produces torque which climbs with RPMs; peak torque is at redline.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Less is Better

This always becomes a big debate, but Michael is absolutely right. For maximum acceleration, you need to keep the torque AT THE WHEELS at maximum, which must be evaluated through looking at the gear ratios, the engine's torque curve, and the road speed, just as he's shown on his web page. The optimal point is different due to variations in the combination of these three variables for different cars. It's pretty easy to evaluate with the car's information and Excel.
me73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Certainly newton would agree to maximize torque at the wheels to maximize acceleration. I believe that if the hp curve always has a positive slope (as is the case for most sc dynos I've seen here), this will be achieved by shifting at redline.

This is not the case for cars that have tq curves that fall off at higher rpm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

While I see what they're doing, they had me at "mass correction".
Someone care to break it down?

I did some googling and found these:
note: 220.8 PS = 217.78 hp

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
forkmeupscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)