Time to Order Clam - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Time to Order Clam

Hey,

I brought my car in for an estimate in April and the body shop placed an order with a dealer (He won't tell me which one!?!?!???) for a new front clam.

Still no clam, 7.5 months later.

What is the usual lead time on these?

Thanks
Adam

Last edited by MyFutureSelfnMe; 11-28-2012 at 10:53 AM.
MyFutureSelfnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's crazy.

Have you though about the CF one - Sector 111 has them?
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

In august mine came in 8 days.
OEM for a 2005.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I called the shop and told them I just want the money back that the insurance company paid them. He said he would call me back in the morning. I almost feel like pre-emptively retaining a lawyer because I have a feeling I'm going to need one.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it was an insurance deal can't you have them go after him? I sure they made him sign somehting before getting paid.
06' Elise #0002
HankDorsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDorsett View Post
If it was an insurance deal can't you have them go after him? I sure they made him sign somehting before getting paid.
Insurance says it's out of their hands. They're done with it.

Last edited by MyFutureSelfnMe; 11-28-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did the insurance company pay them directly or did they cut you a check? Did you choose the body shop yourself or did your insurance company send you to them?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Insurance paid them directly, they're out of network so insurance has no leverage with them. I found the shop myself. They are about as reputable as shops get in NY, but that's saying basically nothing.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry for your situation,sounds crazy. I had an accident two months ago with my Elise, it to needed a new front clam I tracked a used one down in Maryland for $800. I drove from Michigan to Maryland to pick it up. my Insurance company State Farm, cut me a check upfront for $11,984.00 and let me pick a shop of my choice to do the repair.

Had the car back on the road within six weeks, I can could not be happier with my insurance company or the repair shop. they both did a great job and the shop was able to fix it for far less then the money and insurance company give me. I paid the body shop in increments,never gave them the full amount upfront. I think that was one of the reasons it worked out so well for me.

Good luck with your repair and please post pics when the car is done.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFutureSelfnMe View Post
Insurance paid them directly, they're out of network so insurance has no leverage with them. I found the shop myself. They are about as reputable as shops get in NY, but that's saying basically nothing.
7 months you can pick up a clam in Miami within hours, did the owner say "Forget about it, definitely" in a thick italian accent? then I suggest you get a lawyer!!! 1800 411PAIN...

Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
And this is why payment should always be after the job has been completed
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

To be fair to the shop, I haven't been bothering them and they clearly haven't been bothering this mysterious dealer they are ordering from. I could have shaken the tree more often. But my car isn't any more fixed than it was the day I hit something.

Is it normal for a shop not to divulge which dealer their parts are supplied from? Him not divulging this information is why I will not do business with him now, and also why I do not care if he has already put down a deposit on the clam with this mysterious supplier. It's the same as no clam to me.

My girlfriend is an attorney. I can litigate this for free.

I am not from NY, and it drives me up the wall that getting anything done right here is only marginally easier than getting anything done right in Florida. This is one of the things I miss about Wisconsin.

Last edited by MyFutureSelfnMe; 11-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

When I ordered one through a shop, they went and picked it up the next day, no hassle or wait time. They did inform me that if it had to be shipped from England it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive. 7.5 months is insane. Get your car towed to a different shop, at their expense. Also demand to be paid for the time your car sat, I don't know what rate you should charge, but get something in return. They also HAVE to tell you where parts are ordered from, its YOUR car. While we're at it, don't let them weasel their way out of giving you any old parts back. By law they CANNOT keep any old part of your car, its YOURS. I was able to sell my damaged, but repairable, clam to a really nice guy on here. I recouped some of my repair cost that way. The shop I used told me its illegal for them to keep parts, they must always offer them back to the customer. If they deny taking the old parts, the shop must trash the parts, they are not allowed to sell any part of a customers car, even if the customer left the part behind willingly.

"There's a distinct difference between someone who owns a Lotus, and someone who only owns a Lotus."
zachlantow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Then it's long past time for her to whip out the letterhead and get to it...
Old 11-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
3Xtothe0[]

Quote:
To be fair to the shop, I haven't been bothering them and they clearly haven't been bothering this mysterious dealer they are ordering from. I could have shaken the tree more often. But my car isn't any more fixed than it was the day I hit something.

Is it normal for a shop not to divulge which dealer their parts are supplied from? Him not divulging this information is why I will not do business with him now, and also why I do not care if he has already put down a deposit on the clam with this mysterious supplier. It's the same as no clam to me.

I am not from NY, and it drives me up the wall that getting anything done right here is only marginally easier than getting anything done right in Florida. This is one of the things I miss about Wisconsin.

Lets see..."we ordered a clam from a dealer but we don't want to tell you who it is?", Red Flags are a-flying ! if your insurance already payed them then they can tell you whatever they like? I highly doubt after 7 months you have a clam coming.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

I bet the shop got the part and damaged it either taking it out of the package or in preparing it for painting, or they did not have insurance for the shipping and it was damaged, or an employ took it, or the worse case the shop ordered it then cancelled the order after shipping and claimed they never received it. Good luck maybe you should post the shops name here so someone can help you. Also, I would get another insurance company, due to the fact they are not doing their job and making sure the repairs were made. Just thought of something how much did you pay them maybe they under estimated the cost of the repair? Should be 12-15K for new parts, paint, install and any extra parts like if they damage lights things like that.
happy2behere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

It was only around 7k. I would have expected that to rise, as it usually does as the repairs are made, but they only had my car in for a couple days in early April to do the estimate.

I will see what happens when I speak again to the shop tomorrow. If there is a serious issue I will post more information.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachlantow View Post
When I ordered one through a shop, they went and picked it up the next day, no hassle or wait time. They did inform me that if it had to be shipped from England it would take 2-3 weeks to arrive. 7.5 months is insane. Get your car towed to a different shop, at their expense. Also demand to be paid for the time your car sat, I don't know what rate you should charge, but get something in return. They also HAVE to tell you where parts are ordered from, its YOUR car. While we're at it, don't let them weasel their way out of giving you any old parts back. By law they CANNOT keep any old part of your car, its YOURS. I was able to sell my damaged, but repairable, clam to a really nice guy on here. I recouped some of my repair cost that way. The shop I used told me its illegal for them to keep parts, they must always offer them back to the customer. If they deny taking the old parts, the shop must trash the parts, they are not allowed to sell any part of a customers car, even if the customer left the part behind willingly.
They don't have my car. I've actually been driving it around NY with the front end damage.

You are correct that not telling me the source of the parts is BS. I am expecting there to be some hassle re: "we already paid for the part", and I'm going to have to make it clear to them how easy it will be for me to take this all the way into a courtroom.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
It was only around 7k. I would have expected that to rise, as it usually does as the repairs are made, but they only had my car in for a couple days in early April to do the estimate.

I will see what happens when I speak again to the shop tomorrow. If there is a serious issue I will post more information.
7K is around what the part cost plus preparing it another 2-3 days of sanding, plus painting and more. I think the shop under estimated the final cost and does not want to do the repair, since they will be out of like 5K. There are laws in all states for the estimate and most states it cannot exceed 10% of the original quote that is why I think they do not want to honor the 7K repair cost. I would report them to ur insurance company so they can black list them and save others from this issue in the future. Good luck keep us informed what happens. I am still fighting the shipping company more than a year ago when I bought my first elise when they damaged it shipping it to me.

Last edited by Aedo; 11-29-2012 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added the quote tags
happy2behere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've always had way low initial estimates when getting repairs done to my car. They've always risen by significant amounts. I didn't see this as any different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)