Wek120's 2gr elige build thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Wek120's 2gr elige build thread

Figured Id start a build thread to keep track of everything, and in case anyone else is curious about doing a 2gr swap.
As some of you may know, this lotus was my twin brother Wes's, who passed away in a motorcycle crash in May. He always wanted to fix it up and update it, so I am picking up where he left off.

2005 Lotus Elige (Elise converted to an Exige)

I initially looked into doing a built 2zz, but decided to go with something a little different. Decided to go with a 2gr swap and make it into something more along the lines of a cup 260. The plan is to start with the 2gr swap as NA, then once I get the kinks worked out, go turbo. Turbo will be a Borg Warner.
So with that, heres the build so far:

Added 17" and 18" rims and potenza re11s. Little on the big side but still prefer them over the 16s.

Carbon fiber side skirts

Last edited by wek120; 01-04-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

V6 cup seats. Not exactly thrilled with the grey, but Ill eventually replace it with black microsuede if I get time. Quite a bit more lower back support.

Redid the interior, started with the inserts. Carbon fiber vinyl strip, red stitch, black microsuede.

covered the panels in leather, accidentally messed up the stitching, turns out super glue seeps through threads as a white powder >.< gona have to fix it later.

Working on the center console. That one was tough. note to self, rubber cement isn't very strong…

Picked up a tesla double DIN set. Going to save that install for later. Also grabbed a toyota avalon gas pedal for the 2gr swap since its drive by wire
post #3 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Picked up the supporting goodies from Monkey Wrench Racing.

MWR Flange - Toyota 2GR-FE Exhaust - Stainless Steel
Moroso Oil Pan - Lotus Evora, Toyota 2GR-FE V6
MWR Coated Rod Bearing Set (6) - Toyota 2GR-FE Std
MWR Airmeter (MAF) Flange - Toyota 2GR-FE
ARP2000 head stud kit - Toyota 2GR-FE V6
Fidanza Flywheel - Toyota 2GR-FE, 1MZ-FE
MWR Complete Axle and Stub Kit - Elise Exige 05-12 E153/2GR Swap (made from driveshaft shop)
MWR Shift Cable Adapter Kit - Lotus Elise Exige 2GR V6 Swap
MWR Engine Mount Kit - Lotus Elise Exige 2GR V6 Swap
Wiseco Piston Set - Toyota 2GR - 10.8:1 - 94.0mm

Also got a Borgwarner EFR7670. Going twin scroll to get a better spool. It'll be a bit down the road though.

Dealing with Monkey Wrench Racing: I will say that you can definitely tell how impatient and not the most friendly people they are to deal with (as their reputation depicted). I waited on my order to get some responses to questions, and after I had gotten some answers, the transmission (I was going to also grab an e153 from them) went off sale, and they refused to continue the discount one day later when I went to order, so I ended up getting it from twosrus. They did send everything out and packed it pretty well, also got it out in a decent amount of time. Honestly, if anyone else sold the same things Id probably go elsewhere just because of the short, not very friendly attitude, but didn't really have a choice for a couple things… thus far I have discovered that the shifter was 180deg off but I managed to fix it by grinding off a tooth… still not what it should have been. No instructions with anything either (such as engine mount locations or shifter install) but that wasn't a big issue for me, managed to find a lot on mr2 forum.

New e153 tranny from twosrus for the 95+ LSD turbo MR2

post #4 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 PM

I've ridden in one with the swap and it was a blast; you'll love it. This build should be a great homage - keep it up!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
wek120 likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #5 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

This was a little something I did to make designing the exhaust headers easier . I designed some 1.75dia 3d printed elbows and straights to model up the paths and keep them all equal length. more to come on these later. They all snap together and have alignment marks to measure the angles.
post #6 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Here is another zoom in on the 3d printed header models. Theres a company that makes some plastic header models online, but they wanted an astronomical amount of money for plastic elbows, so I decided to design some myself. So far they all work perfectly. Designed them up in NX and had a friend 3d print them. Also made some sectioned merge collector pieces as well.
post #7 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Picked up a 2015 Avalon 3.5l 2gr engine with 3k miles. Had to swap the engine wire harness with an 06 RAV4 Ecu so that the pinnout would match up to the ecu. Ordered an 07 Base RAV4 2wd ECU, should be here soon. Engine wiring later on down the road, going to get the engine in and axles first.
post #8 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Shifter difference from the Stock E153 and the modified one from MR2 to go from the opposite side.

e153 with the installed mounts and shifter. Again, had to modify the shifter from MWR since they made it 180deg off : / not a huge problem but irritating considering how much they charge you for it.
post #9 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Got the ACT clutch and Fidanza installed.

Had to side drill some of the bottom holes on the trans and the engine, and helicoil one of the smooth holes. (all the info is on MR2 forum for the holes). M12 helicoil on the engine. Also had to file down two minor spots on the engine that interfered with the trans. Not a big deal though.

Mated together nicely.

And the other engine mount.
Also got the Mowhawk roof, Couldn't match the matte paint though. Going to have to wait until I can get the whole car repainted to install for good. Not happy at all with the fitment of it though, no seals, large gaps in front and back, going to take a good bit of work to make good seals on the windows...
post #10 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Wow great build I am about to under go this myself over the next year. I have the 2gr we were going to go an N/A build. :-)
post #11 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! It'll be a a fair amount of work but hopefully it'll all work out in the end. Wiring will be a bit of a trick, but Ill tackle it once I get the engine and axles in.
post #12 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 04:44 PM

Wek120's 2gr elige build

Wow! I'll be watching this every day! There's lots I don't understand such as what does "N/A" mean? At first I didn't know what was meant by a "2gr" but I'm assuming it's a V6 Toyota motor. ???

I've been reading and watching You Tubes regarding the supercharged V6 available in the UK. I'd sell a bunch of my other cars to have one of these. My wife has a 2011 RAV4 with 4WD and it rips! I can't imagine having another 70 or 80 HP in a mid engine 2WD car with much less weight. McLaren look out!

I want one .......BAD! I hope you don't mind if I copy you.

And I love the way you just nonchalantly whip up somehting on a 3D printer. Gosh, I've got a lot to learn. Thank you.
post #13 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Hah I don't know if id go that far, this'll be a slower build since I only get to work on it on weekends really. Hoping to be done with the na build by early spring, then once I get all the bugs worked out the turbo build and built engine will probably take till late spring to mid summer.

Na is naturally aspirated which it'll be at first.

By all means copy away! But I would suggest quite a bit of research first unless you're familiar with mating transmissions, cross wiring harnesses and header making. A lot of it I've done odds and end things here and there but no main project with all at once. It is fun though! Only downside is having to buy stuff like the custom axles and mounts from mwr (unless I want to take the work of hours of measurement and positioning). That and cost of course, but I'm doing everything new in the interest of keeping the car probably my whole life.
post #14 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

One header layout. Not liking it though. May do a rear turbo mount after all
Attached Images

post #15 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Engines out and new ones fitted. Mwr mounts fit ok, little bit of force to get some bolts aligned but think they'll do.
Going with a turbo mount above the trans. Nice little spot for it, but a little worried about heat. Going to have to make some interesting heat shields probably.
Headers are proving to be a pain but making slow progress. Going to be super tight fit.
Attached Images

post #16 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 01:28 AM

Great stuff please keep us all posted!!. I also have the MWR mounts so nice to know everything fits. Mine will progress very slowly also. I have a friend with a performance shop in Australia here so he will be doing all the work I will keep him posted on your thread also :-)
post #17 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 04:28 AM

Garage
solid potential with that build... but you really need to paint those front mesh pieces black or something before it sees the road again

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n...
post #18 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
solid potential with that build... but you really need to paint those front mesh pieces black or something before it sees the road again
Awesome project! And agreed on black mesh.
post #19 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 AM

Great build!
post #20 of 185 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 09:22 PM

Garage
Subscribing to this thread for updates. Awesome story so far, but sorry about your brother. This will be a great tribute to him!

2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2010 Audi S4 deep sea blue
2015 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
(yes, I like blue cars)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.