The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 5]

188K views 1K replies 209 participants last post by  Aedo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#653 ·
While stopped at traffic lights on Sat while on the GGLC President's Birthday Drive:

Young guy in Lexus SUV (YGLS): I really like your car. Are you guys all together?
Me: Yes. We're the all in the Lotus Club.
YGLS: Where are you from?
Me: I'm from England.
YGLS: Cool! Did you drive here from England?
Me: Er... no. I bought this car over here.

I thought that maybe he was displaying an incredible ignorance of geography (and the whole right hand drive/left hand drive thing), but now I wonder if perhaps he watched the "Spy Who Loved Me" and believes that Lotuses can turn in to submarines.

#656 ·
Every time I bring my Elise through emissions, the young lad always asks if I knew that these cars could go underwater. Even though it's the Elise and not the Esprit that Im bringing through. There's a YouTube video of a submersible Elise, so evidentally even the younger kids now think that all lotuses double as submarines. Lol

Keeps the Lotus submarine fascination going I guess...

#657 ·
The Elise has to have the hardtop installed to be submersible, right?

Also, can anyone tell me how to operate the surface-to-air missles out of the deck lid? I'm sure the original owner got that option, but I can't find anything about it in the instruction manual. I've tried pulling on the little lever in the lid, but it doesn't do anything. That might just be another electrical problem, though.

#664 ·
Yeah ... helps with the dead bugs and such :shrug:

Very Zen and relaxing avocation for me (NOTE: I **think** you can actually see some water "runners" on the driver's inside window!)

#663 ·
Okay, wtf is with all the "How much did that cost?" questions from people? I swear, half the time it's the first thing flying out of people's mouth. I rarely got that with the Elise. What do they know how rude I find that question to be?

#668 ·
I got this the other day... The question does not normally bother me at all if someone seems genuinely interested in the car. You know, asks questions, makes comments and eventually gets around to the "if you don't mind me asking, what's a ballpark cost on a machine like this"? That's OK, no big deal. When I walked out of the pool store the other day this guy immediately got 12" from my face and goes "How much did you pay for this"? I just said "Seriously, that is your FIRST question"? That approach just made me want to punch him.

I think that with some of those people it is just a competition. If you say an amount they feel they can afford, then you are not better than them (in their minds). If you say something they feel they cannot afford..... it is a problem for them.

As y'all know, we could all "afford" a lot more. The question is "what did you have to give up to own this thing"? Was it other toys, education, a house....or food? We all have limits.

#665 ·
I get that one a lot too, Guppy... I just decline to answer and usually use "its worth every penny"... finally had an encounter of my own that left me dumbfounded; was at a gas station, AT the pump, just finished filling up... guy walks up from another pump and says "Is that one of them electric cars?"
I literally couldn't say anything for about 10 seconds, I just stared, my wife laughed out loud, and I finally just said "No... not electric" and got back in the car.

Some people!

#666 ·
I got that from a couple of guys in a car next to me at a red light. I said no and revved my engine. They didn't believe me and asked me again. So I told them to listen to the engine noise and I drove off.

As for the cost question, I just tell them quarter mil before options, tax and license. I already get the same hate anyway so what's the difference?

#667 ·
My wife and I pull into a local restaurant parking lot and get out of the car.... A guy sitting in his truck with the window down rolls up closer and says "Wow, yours has windows". I looked at him quizzically and said "have you seen a Lotus Elise without windows"? He responded, "Well, the early ones had no windows". I just said "hmmm, OK interesting" and went inside.

I guess he could have been making a connection to the old 7's....? Probably being generous there.

A few days later I parked way out (as usual) in the parking lot of a big box store. I was like 10 spots beyond another car. When I came out, a middle-aged guy (MAG) that had just parked started jogging towards me. As I got in the car we had this exchange:

MAG: "Wow, beautiful, beautiful car"!
Me: Thanks, it's fun
MAG: "It looks SOOO GOOD"
Me: Thanks, I like it too.
MAG: "I mean, it looks amazing. You never see them and....It's a Buick"?
Me: No, not really a Buick in any way
MAG: "Really"?
Me: No, Lotus

....and I drove off smiling. He was genuinely excited about the car. Why he thought it was a Buick, I have no idea.

#669 ·
A few days later I parked way out (as usual) in the parking lot of a big box store. I was like 10 spots beyond another car. When I came out, a middle-aged guy (MAG) that had just parked started jogging towards me. As I got in the car we had this exchange:

MAG: "Wow, beautiful, beautiful car"!
Me: Thanks, it's fun
MAG: "It looks SOOO GOOD"
Me: Thanks, I like it too.
MAG: "I mean, it looks amazing. You never see them and....It's a Buick"?
Me: No, not really a Buick in any way
MAG: "Really"?
Me: No, Lotus

....and I drove off smiling. He was genuinely excited about the car. Why he thought it was a Buick, I have no idea.

Maybe he confused it with a Reatta? :shrug:

Yeah, easy mistake to make! rotfl rotfl

#673 ·
In traffic stopped at a light, guy next to me rolls down his window.

Guy: Is that a replica?
Me: No, its a Lotus.
Guy: But is it a replica?
Me: No, it's a real Lotus
Guy: Then you should be able to light it up. Go on, light that thing up?
Me: uhhh, okay.

Light turns green and traffic proceeds at the normal pace. Why do people ask for a display of speed when everyone is stuck in traffic?

#674 ·
Guy in pothead Astro van: Hey honk the horn, hurry! (telling his girlfriend who was driving)

Guy in pothead Astro van: Sorry to bother you, bro. How much do those things go for now?

Me: About 30-34 for this year

Guy in pothead Astro van: Oh (UTTER look of disappointment for some reason)

Me: Yeah, pretty good bang for the buck

Guy in pothead Astro van: I guess =\

Me: Yeah...........

*both drive away*

#675 ·
I wonder if he's disappointed that he didn't see an expensive car, or disappointed that it's STILL out of his price range rotfl

Recently I was in a church parking lot stowing the soft top in the boot, and an older gentleman marvels: "The engine's in the wrong place! [to wife] honey look at the engine!"
Disinterested wife: "yes, that's nice..."
Me (with a smile): "More like the *correct* place if you ask me"

Actually he might have only said "in the back" instead of "wrong place." Either way I think the funniest part was how much the wife didn't care.

#678 ·
>>> That reminds me of this one:

When I first purchased my Esprit there was a problem with the headlamp pods raising up. I figured out a way to cheat the system when I was checking for power until I had the time to fix the problem.

I'm at the bank one day to deposit my pay check and it started raining, law requires your headlamps to be on. I flip the switch, lights come on but the pods don't go up. I open the bonnet to use my cheat method when an eldery man walks over.

Eldery man: Are you having a problem?
Sounding very serious: Yes, my engine, someone stole it!

His jaw dropped, the look on his face was priceless! Then I explained my problem to him and the engine was in the back. I thanked him very much for his willing to offer me assistance.

#677 ·
I get the price question a fair bit, but one on the weekend went a bit over the top. Had stopped in for a beer on Sunday at my local pub. Most folks there know me and my cars pretty well. Annoying Guy (AG) came right up to me and stood inches(?) from my face...

AG: "Hey, you've got that Ferrari, right? How much did you pay for it?"
Me: "Well, depending on condition and mileage they go for..."
AG Interrupting: "No, YOU! I wanna know what YOU paid for it."
Me: "Have a nice day."
AG: "Well what about the Lotus then? How much did you pay for the Lotus?"
Me: "Bye."

#680 ·
pull up into a gas station in a podunk little town. filling up my tank and a guy is admiring the car...
Man: So what kinda car is that?
Me: A lotus
Man: How many cylinders does it have
Me: 8
Man: aww, only 8? i thought it was one of those real fast cars that are gone before you can blink
I shrug

#688 ·
I just had a good one.

Went to PepBoys to pick up a new wiper blade, and their little book in the aisle doesn't list the Elise. Totally weird though, it lists Elan, Europa, and Esprit, but no Elise. Go figure. So I go to the counter:

Me: "I need a wiper blade, but your book doesn't list my car, can you look it up?"
Guy: "What kind of car is it?"
Me: "Lotus Elise." [Feels so good to say]
Guy: "hmm, who makes that?"
Me: [come on, dude, you work at an auto parts store, that's shameful] "Uh, Lotus."
Guy: "I haven't heard of Lotus. [asks other lady at counter:] Have you heard of Lotus?"
Lady: "Yeah, but we don't carry Lotus parts."
Me: "That's ok, I just need a wiper blade."
Lady: "We won't have that, we barely have BMW and Mercedes blades."
Me: "...really? But it's just a wiper blade. Let me just go get my old blade." [go out, come back with blade]
Lady: "Yeah we don't have that, it's the arm is all different."
Me: :confused: "...right."

So I just shake my head, leave and drive down the block to Advance, they have an electronic thing that lists the Elise (but not Esprit, Elan, or Europa), and I get my blade. Honestly, PepBoys, that's your staff? I don't expect Lotus experts, but at least people that know wiper blades aren't brand-specific. :wallbang:

On the other hand, I got a thumbs up from a guy on a motorcycle on the way there, so that was cool.

#691 ·
When I needed a new wiper blade for my Esprit, I just pulled into a local 10-minute oil change place. The manager must have seen me pull in because he came straight out and stood next to the driver's door before I could even get out of the car.

I told him I needed a new wiper blade so he told me to stay in the car, took the old one off, went inside and almost immediately came back out with a correct replacement, installing it for me. The whole process took less than 3 minutes and all for around $20. Now that's what I call service.

#696 ·
Is it really supposed to be that easy? The previous owner of my car gave me 2 wiper blades with it that he said he tried and only kind if fit. That the window is too curved for them to do a good job drying it. Unless the windshield is one thing different between Exiges and Elises?
There's probably not a difference between Elise and Exige windshields. You can get curved blades for a better fit, and you need a Large J-Hook adapter, but it pretty much is that simple.

#699 ·
I can only guess that people can't distinguish between "Lotus" and "Lexus" and they are waiting for me to say, "Toyota".

Maybe I should just hang my head and say, "Toyota" so they can go about their day satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.