What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 5] - Page 20 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #381 (permalink)
Registered User
 
gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
You would think that people in Europe would be used to seeing English cars.
Well, given the reputation, maybe people operating towing companies and garages...
__________________
1 Evo IX + 1 Elise + 1 Tesla

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
gray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #382 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nydus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW burbs of Chicago
Posts: 292
What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 5]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
Well, given the reputation, maybe people operating towing companies and garages...
hahaha just awesome.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nydus is offline  
Old 02-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #383 (permalink)
Registered User
 
-Twilight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Posts: 20
They're not -that- common.. The "ordinarily" Brit cars are usually made in LHD and RHD in bulk, price difference between the two is not worth it to import one from the UK. With the more obscure types like the Elise it is worth it, saved about $4k over a LHD with mine. But cars like these are pretty rare.
With the occasional tourist from the UK added I'd say one in every 1000* is a RHD.







*Disclaimer: No scientific method whatsoever was used during the process of obtaining this figure
-Twilight is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #384 (permalink)
Registered User
 
DarkAardvark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 176
I stopped by radioshack to get some components for a random project I started. A homeless guy on a bicycle rides right over and just stands next to it for a while. I climb out. He bends down and looks at the exhaust and the rear panel delete (a lot of people seem to do that).
First thing he says is "Is it a kit or is it the real thing?"
I tell him it's real. (on that note, are there actually any kit Elises?)
He asks about the engine size and how much horsepower it's pushing. I tell him not much and say the car is light. He says "yeah, something that light weight doesn't need a whole lot of power to get going!" and he rides off. Pretty funny that a homeless guy understands horsepower to weight ratio more than people at car meets haha
__________________
2006 Arctic Silver Elise
DarkAardvark is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #385 (permalink)
451
Registered User
 
451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Side
Posts: 590
Filling up the Elise at the gas station yesterday afternoon:

Kid: How fast the Lotus go? 210? 215?
Me: Nah not even close, about 140 tops... somewhere around there.
Kid: Cool

Kid looked to be in his early 20's. Just seemed funny to me that he picked 210 or 215 as the top speed. Seemed kind of arbitrary... why not flat 200? 250? 300? Have such a nice rings to them! LOL.

Oh and I must be putting out the "don't talk to me" vibe pretty heavily because I *never* get assaulted at the gas stations or the grocery stores with questions, etc.
451 is online now  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #386 (permalink)
Registered User
 
High_Colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 471
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
....... He bends down and looks at the exhaust and the rear panel delete (a lot of people seem to do that).
First thing he says is "Is it a kit or is it the real thing?" ......
I came out of a Walgreens (pharmacy) last summer, and same thing, some guy was squatted down looking at/under the under-spoilers/ stage II. Asked, "Is it a kit car?" and then told me he had been building a Bradley kit car for the past decade or some long period of time.
__________________
'06 Lotus Elise Ardent Red, Touring, Sport, Driving Lights, Stage II Exhaust, Risen Engine Covers, Star Shield, SirLotus' Front Under Clam Protectors in anti-matter-black, Yoko's, Sector111 FFI Cover; DS Brace Toe-link upgrade and cool Carpet Buttons, Long Blond Hairs in Pax Seat ... I think the most important thing is that in the last seven days we've just had the greatest adventure of our lifetimes. (Richard Branson)
High_Colorado is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #387 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nydus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW burbs of Chicago
Posts: 292
What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 5]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
Oh and I must be putting out the "don't talk to me" vibe pretty heavily because I *never* get assaulted at the gas stations or the grocery stores with questions, etc.
What is your secret? I try that and it still takes me 30 minutes to get out of a gas stall...


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nydus is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #388 (permalink)
451
Registered User
 
451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Side
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
What is your secret? I try that and it still takes me 30 minutes to get out of a gas stall...


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just lucky I guess...

My angry face and my happy face look the same. People just assume I'm a doucher and steer clear.

Though I do get asked for directions quite a bit. People seem to think I look like I know where I am
451 is online now  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #389 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 5,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
Pretty funny that a homeless guy understands horsepower to weight ratio more than people at car meets haha
That's because most guys are car meets are about as knowledgeable as what they read on the interwebs about their favorite cars as told by other owners who exaggerate everything. They are into theoretical stuff like all sorts of tune and fix up equipment that they will never use to the full potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451 View Post
Filling up the Elise at the gas station yesterday afternoon:

Kid: How fast the Lotus go? 210? 215?
Me: Nah not even close, about 140 tops... somewhere around there.
Kid: Cool

Kid looked to be in his early 20's. Just seemed funny to me that he picked 210 or 215 as the top speed. Seemed kind of arbitrary... why not flat 200? 250? 300? Have such a nice rings to them! LOL.

Oh and I must be putting out the "don't talk to me" vibe pretty heavily because I *never* get assaulted at the gas stations or the grocery stores with questions, etc.
That's because you have that rifle slung on your back all the time.

Oh, I just tell people 300mph as the standard answer. That stops all further inquiries.
__________________
My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #390 (permalink)
Registered User
 
tonymaples806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 564
Images: 18
Today I posted that pic of the blue stingray that was already wrecked on FB, and I had 10 non enthusiasts instantly comment thinking I wrecked my Elise, out of all the dumb comments I've ever received, today tops them. Seriously, the new vette doesn't even have the round lights, which IMHO is the only thing that ever made a vette even slightly similar in design (unless you compare the Elise to the older stingrays).
Not really a funny story, but I think it fits the bill.
__________________
2009 Lancer GTS - Sold
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Sold
1997 Subaru 22B Replica - Sold
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #391 (permalink)
Such moderate
 
doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 3,870
Images: 1
^ they deserve a facepalm.

We need a facepalm smiley on here like this:

doge is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #392 (permalink)
Registered User
 
philethier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Colorado View Post
I came out of a Walgreens (pharmacy) last summer, and same thing, some guy was squatted down looking at/under the under-spoilers/ stage II. Asked, "Is it a kit car?" and then told me he had been building a Bradley kit car for the past decade or some long period of time.
Back in the seventies, there was a guy, Denny Popp, who had race-prepped a Bradley GT for SCCA. At BIR, they let FC driver Howie Fairbanks take it out for a test. I talked to Howie later.

So how did the Bradley go?

"Have you ever hit a pig when you were out driving?"

A pig? No.

"Well, then, could you imagine it?"

I suppose.

"The feeling you get just when you come to the top of the pig: That's what the Bradley feels like all the time."
__________________
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #393 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Im_Not_In_San_Fran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaples806 View Post
Today I posted that pic of the blue stingray that was already wrecked on FB, and I had 10 non enthusiasts instantly comment thinking I wrecked my Elise.....
For over a year I have been picking up a 22 year-old LA girl for sporadic dates, always using the '03 Black MR2. One day I pick her up in the Silver Exige. She says: "Your car is cleaner today".
It wasn't even dark outside. I never even replied.

Same scenario with a 30 year old smarter girl, she says "You painted your Porche."
I never replied to that either.
__________________
'06 Exige - Arctic Silver, stage 2, DDM 55W HIDs w/ 4 halo LEDs, red leather.
'03 MRS - Black Onyx Pearl Mica, SMT/hardtop/S2000 seats/bracing/TS front/TS side vents/Lotus style exhaust.
Im_Not_In_San_Fran is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #394 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
GuppyCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack, Pocono Mountains, PA
Posts: 1,627
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Not_In_San_Fran View Post
For over a year I have been picking up a 22 year-old LA girl for sporadic dates, always using the '03 Black MR2. One day I pick her up in the Silver Exige. She says: "Your car is cleaner today".
It wasn't even dark outside. I never even replied.

Same scenario with a 30 year old smarter girl, she says "You painted your Porche."
I never replied to that either.


Obviously neither are marriage material.
__________________
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener
GuppyCaptain is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #395 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 5,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post


Obviously neither are marriage material.
Actually, both are marriage material, if you are into that sort of thing.

You can buy them some old beat up Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and tell them it's a BMW 5 series or Benz S class and they'll be all over it.
__________________
My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 AM   #396 (permalink)
Registered User
 
David Craig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Not_In_San_Fran View Post
For over a year I have been picking up a 22 year-old LA girl for sporadic dates, always using the '03 Black MR2. One day I pick her up in the Silver Exige. She says: "Your car is cleaner today".
It wasn't even dark outside. I never even replied.

Same scenario with a 30 year old smarter girl, she says "You painted your Porche."
I never replied to that either.
When I turned 50 I thought most people would expect me to have a mid-life crisis. At the time, I didn't have my Elise, just an old rusty Toyota.

So I rented a 360 Ferrari and showed up at my wife's work on a weekday. I told her I bought it, hoping to freak her out.

Her response was "I know you didn't buy it. Obviously you just borrowed that Mustang from one of your friends". Fail.
__________________
2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
David Craig is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #397 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sturgeongeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento, Ca.
Posts: 3,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Not_In_San_Fran View Post
For over a year I have been picking up a 22 year-old LA girl for sporadic dates, always using the '03 Black MR2. One day I pick her up in the Silver Exige. She says: "Your car is cleaner today".
It wasn't even dark outside. I never even replied.

Same scenario with a 30 year old smarter girl, she says "You painted your Porche."
I never replied to that either.
That is funny!
__________________
05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now  
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #398 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again
 
Notorious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: LaLaLand
Posts: 5,812
Yeah... my female friend came over and we went to the garage so she can grab a smoke. She saw my red Noble and asked, "wait... did you paint your Lotus?" (my Elise was white)

I said "Ummm... no."

She said, "Oh, but this is the same car, right?"

I said "No... that was a Lotus, that was a convertible. This isn't."

She said, "Oh... so it's a... (walks to the front of the car, sees nose badge) Noble? So it's a Lotus Noble?"

I said, "finish your cigarette and let's go back inside."
__________________
My 2009 Elise for sale: MoMo SloMo MoFo Joyrides upon request w/lots o' cash money http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-995-a-116554/
Notorious is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #399 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nydus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW burbs of Chicago
Posts: 292
What is the funniest/most stupid comment you ever got? [Part 5]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
When I turned 50 I thought most people would expect me to have a mid-life crisis. At the time, I didn't have my Elise, just an old rusty Toyota.

So I rented a 360 Ferrari and showed up at my wife's work on a weekday. I told her I bought it, hoping to freak her out.

Her response was "I know you didn't buy it. Obviously you just borrowed that Mustang from one of your friends". Fail.
I don't understand people.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nydus is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #400 (permalink)
*
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 22,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Yeah... my female friend came over and we went to the garage so she can grab a smoke. She saw my red Noble and asked, "wait... did you paint your Lotus?" (my Elise was white)

I said "Ummm... no."

She said, "Oh, but this is the same car, right?"

I said "No... that was a Lotus, that was a convertible. This isn't."

She said, "Oh... so it's a... (walks to the front of the car, sees nose badge) Noble? So it's a Lotus Noble?"

I said, "finish your cigarette and let's go back inside."
haha!
__________________
** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.