The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

What inexpensive car comes closest to the Lotus Elise?

19K views 98 replies 54 participants last post by  MTLDean 
#1 ·
Short of buying an Elise, which would you recommend that you think comes closest to the Lotus Elise, in terms of steering response, handling, and overall fun?

This was a question that came up in a conversation I recently had with my nephew. I don't have enough experience to know what the answer is so I thought I could pick the forum's brains on this... My best answer for him was a Miata, however I have test driven the Mx-5 recently and was rather disappointed, considering how every reviewer and owner seems to rave about it.. Given this fact, I do not even want to assume the FR-S is anything close to the Elise, but I'll let you guys ring in on it, and other cars.

#39 ·
Agree with a lot of what Swinglo has to say. I'm curious what all the hoopla is over the BRZ/FRS? The thing's only got 200 HP and weighs significantly more than the Elige, right? Fwd or rwd?

Can someone who has one or has driven one comment on what makes them so special?

#42 ·
I know JWA has one. I've been seeing them a lot lately and while very Japanese looking, they are very sharp. My biggest concern is that the 'ricer' kids are going to get a hold of them and start bastardizing them.

I keep hearing about how it's an 'enthusiasts' car. I'm not sure what that really means. I'm also not sure there isn't a 'groupthink' mentality going on - 'well, Jezza Clarkson loves it, so it must be awesome'. I'd like to see that quantified. Why is it so good?

For me, 95% of cars just bore the piss out of me. They are just whatever. My financial guy has a Cadillac CTS-V. That's an awesome car. I know everyone loves to hate the Panamera, but a co-worker has a Panamera 4S. Was with him a few weeks ago and he picked me up in the airport and that car was FANTASTIC. Amazing luxury interior and just felt great. He's in Dallas and will be meeting me in Austin tomorrow afternoon for client meetings. I told him he's letting me drive the Panamera. He's also got a GT3RS, so he knows his Porsches!

The moral? People tell me I'm supposed to love the FRS/BRZ and hate the Panamera. I've yet to drive or be driven in a BRZ, but that Panamera was FANTASTIC and I'd gladly drive it as my daily.

#40 ·
OP next time put a price range, I think people are going over board with their choices unless your nephew and you got drunk and this whole conversation is hypothetical LOL

#75 · (Edited)
I guess it wasn't obvious when I wrote "Short of buying an Elise"...

The question was if a person can't afford an Elise, what could they buy?

...I thought it was obvious that it wouldn't make sense to spend MORE than the Elise itself to get close to the desired experience of driving one, when one could just be bought.

The question isn't about just any car that has a similar steering and road feel to the Elise. It was about figuring out what the best possible cheaper alternative would be.

There... You now have 3 explanations to choose from :)

Anyway, I hope that clears things up for the few folks who didn't see that in the Original Post.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#51 ·
I just don't see it. Perhaps the same 'design language', but it looks like half an Esprit. I really do think it looks like that Mercury Capri thing. The owner of a local restaurant has a blue M100 and I never even noticed it until my son pointed it out.

#48 · (Edited)
The only good thing about the fiat Abarth is the italian chick, she can slap me anytime she wants!!

"What are you looking at? Uh!? What are you looking at?! Are you undressing me with your eyes? Poor guy… you can’t help it? Is your heart beating? Is your head spinning? Do you feel lost thinking that I could be yours forever?”

#50 ·
Interesting fact - that 'Italian chick' is actually Romanian! Her name is Catrinel Menghia and she's insanely beautiful. She speaks PERFECT Italian too.

Che cosi guardi, eh?

#54 ·
I took part in the Everydaydriver.com comparison between the Elise, FRS and Hyundai Genesis 2.0 RSpec Nismo TRD Chuck Foose Edition and got to drive the FRS and Hyundai on the PCH up by San Luis Obispo and Big Sur, lots of great twisties when you can get away from the Griswold family trucksters. :D

That said, the FRS handles *really* well. On par with the Elise? No, but not world's apart either. To me at least, the Elise (and the fun of it) is that 100% connected-to-the-road handling. The FRS was about 90-95% of the way there in handling and that was *with* electric power steering (or hydraulic, whichever).

The shifter feel was awesome, but understandable given the tranny is right underneath the console unlike our machines where there's a long lanky cable to the back.

Power was what was lacking in the FRS. That extra 800+ pounds could really be felt when you layed into it in certain spots. With a supercharger or turbo and 250-300HP that thing would be pretty damn sweet.

It's not horrible power-wise, just a little below what I'd want from it. Pretty much exactly what one of the everydaydriver guys said about it too, great handling, needs a bit of power.

#55 ·
I have both an 87 mr2 na and an elise. For normal street feel but without the top end, these cars feel very much the same in terms of balance, steering feel, quirks...

#58 ·
If the million car mag reviews praising how fun the BRZ/FR-S is to drive don't convey the appeal, then you really need to go drive one to see if it floats your boat.

It is not crazy fast, but it is a ton of fun to wind out with a very willing motor. There's a lot to be said for a proper road car, which is a point that I think it lost on a lot of people. The requirements for fun on the street are very different from those to be fast on a racetrack. Fast is most certainly one type of fun, which is why I own a 260, but a balanced car with a nice stiff chassis, low center of gravity, good power delivery, great gearbox, and communicative steering that lets you "drive" the car, versus simply mashing a pedal, is incredibly fun in a daily driving situation.

I've said before that after years with Elises, Evos, and STIs the BRZ reminded me of the simple joy of a good second gear corner. It's an instant classic to me.

#59 ·
Id love to have a BRZ for a daily driver, but Ive vowed to myself to run my wagon into the ground. If they ever do an STi version I might have to rethink my oath.

#60 ·
Someone mentioned F5... Wait till next year, and the 818 comes out: MR layout, 818Kg, 02-07 WRX donor car: Lighter than Elise, More power out of the box (with WRX potential for MUCH more) and wishbone suspension, for ~$15k if you've got the mechanical skill to build from the kit.

Sounds great! Gotta wonder just how good the handling will be, but I am very optimistic, myself...

www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/

#61 ·
That was going to be my next car until they more or less finalized the body design. Neither version (track/street) is all that appealing to me. Maybe in another year when some more body kits come out though.

The idea of it sounds awesome enough, had my eye on the 818 for a while now :up:

#64 ·
Nothing quit like the elige but I would have to say a s2000 with coilovers. My elise was the weekend toy while my s2 was the daily. Had a 350z before the s2. There all somewhat similar. The elige is kno where near a Gt2/3 on a course with any open straights.

#70 ·
I had a Miata before getting my Elise. I wouldn't call it comparable, but I would view it as a natural precursor to the Lotus. It gets you used to pushing a car closer to its limits and having fun doing it. The Lotus just has much higher limits. And even more fun with more power (turbo or supercharger). When I got the Lotus, I also drove an S2k, M4 (I think that's what they called the BMW M version of the convertible?), Boxster. Only the Boxster turned me on anywhere near the Lotus, but in the end the uniqueness, looks, and steering won me over and I've never looked back. Drove the new Boxster S in an autocross a couple of months ago, and it was a great car, but all I could think of was "wouldn't it be fun to have my car here for this."

BTW, Swing, couldn't agree with you more on the Panamera 4S--just bought one as my daily driver, and it is an insane combination of performance and luxury, plus tons of room for four people. I know a lot of people don't like its looks, but it is definitely the nicest and best performing sedan I can think of.

#71 ·
I love the Panamera, including its looks.

If you want to put adults in the back seats, that is the necessary roof line.

Every owner I've met loves his Panamera.

Porsche joke, from Gary Shandling:

"My friend just bought a Porsche.

Some say Porsh-a, some people say Porsche.

I don't know which is correct.

All I know is I drive a Toyot."

#74 ·
I had an X1/9 in the mid 80's. It was similar in that it had pretty nice unassisted steering, but that's about it. Soooo slow, and suspension was much less firm than the Elise. It was surprisingly useful, though--pretty big front trunk that didn't lose much capacity when the targa roof was slid into it, and a useable back trunk, too. Spare tire vertically in a well behind the passenger's seat. Well designed packaging.

But, very slow...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.