What inexpensive car comes closest to the Lotus Elise? - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jbs986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
The driving experience of a Boxster is VERY different from the Elise, unfortunately. The 9x6 and later cars are luxury sports cars, GTs, which is in stark contrast to the Elise.

The 914 is a much better Porsche correlation. Although I still think the SC 911s were also very similar in the level of information that comes from the car.
I never said it handled the same as an Elise, I said it was close to it.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #82 (permalink)
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
I never said it handled the same as an Elise, I said it was close to it.
And I never said anything about handling.
me73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Periscope Depth
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
My friend you'll never build that car for $15K realistically a turn key car you're looking in the low $20K at best, I've built a kit Cobra and my numbers where way off, as a matter of fact last month I almost went into business with my friend (he would finance I would build the car) when we did the final numbers he backed out of the deal..
True enough... but a guy can hope

I'm sure mine would be more yet since I know I'd break stuff and have to buy more parts, plus who wants to stay stock when more power is so easy on the EJ20...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
__________________
CDR, USN Submariner
2003 Mazda Rev-it-up 10th Overall
2005 Magnetic Blue Elise LSS/Touring/HT/SS/VF Stage II
1988 Honda CRX Si Bubba!! Serious Autox Car 184 STS
2005 Subaru WRX STi Beater. Fast Beater. Heh.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
scapamouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #84 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
 
komiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,298
Images: 2
i'm going with the 1980 Chevy Chevette! They broke the mold with that car....
__________________
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered User
 
jbs986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
And I never said anything about handling.
True,But the original poster did ask what car comes closest to the Elise in terms of handling feel and response.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #86 (permalink)
Registered User
 
squidward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: .
Posts: 5,418
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbs986 View Post
True,But the original poster did ask what car comes closest to the Elise in terms of handling feel and response.
I sure did!


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 942
mr2, then swap out the 1zz for a 2zz
__________________
2007 CO Exige S
2005 LRG Elise (leaving soon)
2007 Suzuki GS500- dropped 3 times in 1 day
2008 Buell XB9SX
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered User
 
WERM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Agree with a lot of what Swinglo has to say. I'm curious what all the hoopla is over the BRZ/FRS? The thing's only got 200 HP and weighs significantly more than the Elige, right? Fwd or rwd?

Can someone who has one or has driven one comment on what makes them so special?
It's 200HP and around 2750 lbs. It's significantly heavier than the Elise, but it is a modern car with all the latest safety and conveniences while still managing to be the lightest regular production RWD coupe in the US Market. It feels way lighter and more nimble than every other contemporary car I've driven, although I haven't driven the Abarth and it's been a long time since I was at the helm of a Miata.

It's essentially a clean sheet design, not adapted from some coupe or sedan platform and suffering from compromises (high cowl, sedan driving position, etc.) as a result. It's basically built from scratch to be a sports car...pretty rare at it's pricepoint. Plus, the combination of RWD and a flat-four lets it have the center of gravity height of a supercar.

They are super fun to drive. (I'm a superfan, if you can't tell.)
WERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #89 (permalink)
The Second One
 
SwingLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERM View Post
It's 200HP and around 2750 lbs. It's significantly heavier than the Elise, but it is a modern car with all the latest safety and conveniences while still managing to be the lightest regular production RWD coupe in the US Market. It feels way lighter and more nimble than every other contemporary car I've driven, although I haven't driven the Abarth and it's been a long time since I was at the helm of a Miata.

It's essentially a clean sheet design, not adapted from some coupe or sedan platform and suffering from compromises (high cowl, sedan driving position, etc.) as a result. It's basically built from scratch to be a sports car...pretty rare at it's pricepoint. Plus, the combination of RWD and a flat-four lets it have the center of gravity height of a supercar.

They are super fun to drive. (I'm a superfan, if you can't tell.)
Does it 'feel' slow? By all accounts, it's a slow car (by modern standards) but that's deceiving. Our cars aren't super fast, but they 'feel' faster - perhaps faster than they are.

My Moke is dead slow, but with no roof/doors/glass anything to speak of, 30 mph feels like 80.

So, does that overall handing/feel etc translate into the car feeling faster than it is?
__________________
-'05 Elise (RIP)
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #90 (permalink)
JWA
'09 Exige Sport 260
 
JWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 5,950
It doesn't feel slow. It is very fun to wind out and the engine is very responsive. It just doesn't feel powerful fast. I never find myself thinking that it feels slow, nor that it feels fast. It's just so right that you simply enjoy it.

You're on the road all of the time - look me up if you're coming through the area and stop by to drive it some time.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #91 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Nydus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NW burbs of Chicago
Posts: 292
Those are some interesting descriptions for the FRS. I had been wondering the same thing as Jeff. Before he realized i was in love with my lotus to be, a friend suggested looking at the FRS. it looked pretty cool (not KG Exige cool, but pretty cool) but on paper it just seemed so ordinary. I'm not surprised to hear that it has a little of the intangibles to it

Maybe ill take advantage of the Lotus's inflated perceived value and take a test drive at a dealership :P anyone with a lotus can just go and buy an FRS on a whim, right?
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #92 (permalink)
The Second One
 
SwingLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
It doesn't feel slow. It is very fun to wind out and the engine is very responsive. It just doesn't feel powerful fast. I never find myself thinking that it feels slow, nor that it feels fast. It's just so right that you simply enjoy it.

You're on the road all of the time - look me up if you're coming through the area and stop by to drive it some time.
I'll take you up on that Josh. I'm in sales and when I actively working a deal, I tend to be in that area a lot. For example, Kohl's has been a client forever and there were times when I was in the Falls of Menomonee for like 10 days straight!

Was up your way on Monday - 68 degrees! I actually saw, on 43S, a 'caravan' of cars including a KG Exige, a 430 and a Maybach 63!!!

I'm sure the tuner shops like AMS will start creating stuff that will make the FRS/BRZ go bonkers!!!
__________________
-'05 Elise (RIP)
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #93 (permalink)
The Second One
 
SwingLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 7,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Those are some interesting descriptions for the FRS. I had been wondering the same thing as Jeff. Before he realized i was in love with my lotus to be, a friend suggested looking at the FRS. it looked pretty cool (not KG Exige cool, but pretty cool) but on paper it just seemed so ordinary. I'm not surprised to hear that it has a little of the intangibles to it

Maybe ill take advantage of the Lotus's inflated perceived value and take a test drive at a dealership :P anyone with a lotus can just go and buy an FRS on a whim, right?
Well they are what, like $25K? Pretty much on the 'lower' scale of new car prices these days, so any dealership shouldn't have a problem with someone wanting to test drive them. Now test driving a GTR? That's a different story.

But we've all had our issues. I remember the guy at the Porsche dealership (the one next to FVMC) NOT letting me test drive a Cayenne about 4 years ago. I specifically told him - 'my lease on my other car is up next month'. Today is Tuesday. It's lunch time and I'm away from a meeting. I've done the research, I know the inventory. I'm looking at the Cayenne, the X5 and the RR Sport (all dealerships right by each other). I'm driving them now and coming back after meetings around 3pm to buy one of them' And the guy STILL wouldn't let me drive it. Keep in mind, at this point, I'm like 38 years old and wearing a dress shirt and pressed slacks.

I went to the BMW dealership across the street. Sales manager GAVE me the car and said 'drive it back to your meetings and around town for the afternoon'. Bring it back late afternoon and we'll see if you like it.

I bought the X5.
__________________
-'05 Elise (RIP)
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered User
 
ZAMMY1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: washington, pa, (near PGH.)
Posts: 1,903
You should have taken it to the same salesman and shon it to him, with your paperwork.
maybe also his boss.
__________________
'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
ZAMMY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #95 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
GuppyCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack, Pocono Mountains, PA
Posts: 1,627
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMMY1 View Post
You should have taken it to the same salesman and shon it to him, with your paperwork.
maybe also his boss.
EXACTLY! That's exactly what I would have done, but then I do have a vengeful side, too. Still the guy sounds like he was a complete douche.

Anyway, regarding the FRS/BRZ...........how many more model years before they turbo that thing. It's inevitable, don't you guys think?

For those that have driven both, how does it compare to the non-STI WRX?
__________________
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #96 (permalink)
Registered User
 
vincesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 598
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee.engineer View Post
mr2, then swap out the 1zz for a 2zz
I had a 2002 MR2 Spyder, and it was actually a very good car. Imagine owning a mid-engine convertible for just north of $20,000. If the car had a 2zz, it would have been a keeper. However, engine swaps in California are a nightmare, having gone through the process with my Monster Miata, I would not recommend it to everyone.

vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #97 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Periscope Depth
Posts: 77
Bringing the Elise doesn't always work... Back in 07, the wife and I drove to the local Mistu dealer in the Elise to try out an Evo and got the "you must commit to buy before you can try it" line, 3 YEARS after the car was released. Then we went across the street to the Subaru dealer where the salesman said "what? You're autocrossers? Lemme get the keys, you guys are always so fun to go with!"

I don't have an Evo today, even though I tend to think it's a better car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
But we've all had our issues. I remember the guy at the Porsche dealership (the one next to FVMC) NOT letting me test drive a Cayenne about 4 years ago. I specifically told him - 'my lease on my other car is up next month'. Today is Tuesday. It's lunch time and I'm away from a meeting. I've done the research, I know the inventory. I'm looking at the Cayenne, the X5 and the RR Sport (all dealerships right by each other). I'm driving them now and coming back after meetings around 3pm to buy one of them' And the guy STILL wouldn't let me drive it. Keep in mind, at this point, I'm like 38 years old and wearing a dress shirt and pressed slacks.

I went to the BMW dealership across the street. Sales manager GAVE me the car and said 'drive it back to your meetings and around town for the afternoon'. Bring it back late afternoon and we'll see if you like it.

I bought the X5.
__________________
CDR, USN Submariner
2003 Mazda Rev-it-up 10th Overall
2005 Magnetic Blue Elise LSS/Touring/HT/SS/VF Stage II
1988 Honda CRX Si Bubba!! Serious Autox Car 184 STS
2005 Subaru WRX STi Beater. Fast Beater. Heh.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
scapamouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
First I would like to say the abarth is junk. My friend had one it was just terrible, was like driving a small car that felt like an SUV.

So I have read thought this thread and not scene were anyone noted about the mini. The mini is fast and handles well out of the box. There is a great deal of after market support. Take a stock mini and a few mods and you have something. My last car was an 09 JCW factory, with coil overs, camber plates and a sway bar the car can hang with a lotus. Put a revalution mini works tune on the stock JCW then you get startling speed bumping the hp to 255 and 275 troq. Oh and lastly depending on year an s is going for 10 to 24 k. And it is not a Miata.
Wellzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MTLDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,114
Another awesome car was the first-gen Mazda 3 GT with the upgraded 160 hp engine. Handled like a dream. Was relatively light, quick, spacious, and was infintely more tossable around corners than anything this side of an M3. I loved it to death and, other than the Elise, have yet to drive anything close to that price point that compares.
MTLDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.