Wrecked Lotus ): - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Mike808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Wrecked Lotus ):

Hello, new to posting here but I will tell you my quick story of what happened to my poor car...

I decided to mod my Elise and ship it to BOE Fabrication in Kansas for the work and on the way there the idiotic shipping company attached my car incorrectly through the bottom of the frame and there were small tears in the frame when the car arrived in Kansas. BOE assessed the damage and it was actually totaled out through my insurance company because the frame was compromised. The tears were minor but because the frame was damaged the insurance will not fix it because lotus doesn't allow it. The car was salvaged I received the money from my insurance minus what I paid them to buy my car back as a salvage, which actually was a lot because they assessed the salvage value very high because of how minor the tears were. I had someone fix the tears and the car was safe to drive.

I get the car back from BOE and wow was it ridiculous, I had Rev 310 SC, BOE Surge Tank, Oil Catch Can, ACT HD/SS Clutch, Fidanza Fly, De-Cat, ST-5 Exhaust, ClamHinge, BWR Sway, and new Toe Link Kit installed + a few other things.

At about only 300 miles into having my car back I was in a collision, going through a green light at relatively low speed and this old lady trying to turn left pulls right in front of me as of she didn't even see me.. I swerve left but still hit her she definitely had a solid green YIELD where she was but she told the cop she had a green arrow which was a lie. Nobody stopped but I had a passenger in my car that saw the light was green. The insurance figured each driver at their own fault so her insurance paid for her car which was barely scratched and unfortunately I only had liability because of what had previously happened. After I had the car salvaged because of the tears I was only able to buy liability insurance and nothing else so I am on my own with this. I have a lawyer and I'm filing suit against her but even if I win I will still lose 40% contingency. Everyone knows these are eggshells on wheels but its truly baffling how delicate they really are I can only imagine a high speed accident in one of these...

So my dilemma is if I should try to fix it or part it out. I'm not sure if it would be worth putting money into repairing it if even fixable into a salvage titled vehicle.
Attached Images
     

Last edited by Aedo; 12-20-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: resized images
Mike808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Relapsing Honda fan
 
yellow99s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 1,194
If I was in your position I'd replace the crash structure (maybe repair, depending on the extent of damage), repair the existing clam (while eliminating the turn signal lenses, license plate plinth, side marker lights and seams) and upgrade to '06 & ^ headlights. The under tray can be flattened out, toss the fog lights and egg crate grills for wire mesh and you'll end up with a better looking Elise for not all that much $. If you decide you're not up for repairing it shoot me a price before you part it out, best of luck!
__________________
Just moved to Phoenix, anyone else here?
yellow99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
abechen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 489
Sorry to hear about what happened. I forgot who on this site repaired the crash structure himself. Do a search. It may be doable yourself.
abechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Ked67madison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atx
Posts: 623
If you decided to part out please pm me.. I'm sorry for your loss..
Ked67madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Harix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Gabriel
Posts: 716
Sorry for your loss.
Front clam, crash structure, radiator, everything there should be less than $10k. Don't salvage the car.
Harix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: AK
Posts: 1,299
USAA will do full coverage on reconstruct titled vehicles (looks like you are .mil... at least have an old base pass anyway)
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
anglophile in exile
 
Aedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oz
Posts: 4,708
Images: 100
Sorry to hear about the accident – hope you and your passenger were uninjured.

In terms of repair that is about $20k if you take it to any reputable shop. The parts alone will be at least $10k as you need a new crash structure (it is definitely not repairable), clam, LHS headlight, indicators, most likely radiator and condenser, and sadly the list goes on…


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike808 View Post
...
Everyone knows these are eggshells on wheels but its truly baffling how delicate they really are I can only imagine a high speed accident in one of these...
No … the crumple zone works to minimise impact to the occupants – it is not designed to save the car.
Aedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
*
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 22,095
wow. Sorry about the car. Good luck.
__________________
** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
addertooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,580
I do not know how recently your accident occured, but, go on foot, door to door, and look for video cameras at all businesses within 1 block of the intersection. You may discover there is video of the accident, which would be a game-changer as far as liability goes. The key is speed, many businesses recycle their recording media every few days. They only hang onto a recording if they are aware there was an incident recorded.
Fair warning, without video, a lawsuit will likely drag on for years. The best camera angle would be the one shot from behind her, as it will show the status of the light when she entered the intersection. It does not even need to show the impact, if it can show the light when she entered.
As a suggestion, if you drive a Lotus without comprehensive coverage, pony up a couple hundred bucks for a gopro camera, and always run it when the wheels are rolling. For a one time premium of 200 bucks, you will have hard proof of fault in all accidents, good video of hit and runs and periodically humerous videos you can post to the group.
__________________
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.

Last edited by addertooth; 12-21-2012 at 03:42 AM.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,320
Garage
so what the op is trying to say is that his elise was involved in 2 significant $ accidents in about 300 miles timeframe on the odo...

that car is cursed!
__________________
'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, VF N/A tune, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, Powerflex inserts, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, Enkei RPF1's, BWR studs...
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
6i9
Registered User
 
6i9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,701
Images: 1
How did they tear the frame the first time? Where did they secure the tiedowns?
__________________
2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | Radium
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT-Lip | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Nitron SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE FF Rotors/Pistons | RC6
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
6i9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
The question I'd ask myself is, do I want to have to pay to repair the car out of my pocket if this happens again? That's up to you, but paying for the car many times over because you can't insure it for replacement cost seems like a bad financial move.
me73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 295
Images: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
The question I'd ask myself is, do I want to have to pay to repair the car out of my pocket if this happens again? That's up to you, but paying for the car many times over because you can't insure it for replacement cost seems like a bad financial move.
If you (me73) are suggesting this is likely to happen again, that's not true. In the two accidents described, the driver was not a contributing factor.

Apart from any skill you (the OP) have in avoiding accidents caused solely by others, the fact that your car has been involved in two previous accidents makes future accidents no more (or less likely). If you can't stand to lose the car, obtain comprehensive insurance or self-insure the comprehensive portion. The alternative is to dispose of the vehicle.

As an aside, totaled and really expensive to buy back seems like a contradiction. You might benefit from a different insurance writer.

Glen


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
__________________
CO 2011 Lotus Elise SC
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
trichards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 26
For everyone's sake, what was the name of the shipping company that messed up in the first place?
trichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Less is Better
 
me73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
If you (me73) are suggesting this is likely to happen again, that's not true. In the two accidents described, the driver was not a contributing factor.
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm saying what I said.
me73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Mike808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Thanks for the replies..

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
I do not know how recently your accident occured, but, go on foot, door to door, and look for video cameras at all businesses within 1 block of the intersection. You may discover there is video of the accident, which would be a game-changer as far as liability goes. The key is speed, many businesses recycle their recording media every few days. They only hang onto a recording if they are aware there was an incident recorded.
Fair warning, without video, a lawsuit will likely drag on for years. The best camera angle would be the one shot from behind her, as it will show the status of the light when she entered the intersection. It does not even need to show the impact, if it can show the light when she entered.
As a suggestion, if you drive a Lotus without comprehensive coverage, pony up a couple hundred bucks for a gopro camera, and always run it when the wheels are rolling. For a one time premium of 200 bucks, you will have hard proof of fault in all accidents, good video of hit and runs and periodically humerous videos you can post to the group.
After the accident when she was lieing to the cop saying she had a green arrow I wasn't stressed because of all the "cameras" at that intersection so when I got home I called the city asking for recordings and it turns out they were all just for directing traffic nothing was recorded.. Pretty devastating I asked around like you suggested no one had anything.. She was coming from under the highway turning left I was going towards the highway about to go under and she pulled in front of me.. Probably age 65+ woman driving a e63 amg. The way she was driving there is no doubt in my mind she has a terrible history of collisions she seemed so rich she didn't care if she hits someone.. Should help my case even though as stated it could take many years before resolved.. Luckily we weren't injured, never had been in an accident before so it was a shock for sure.
Mike808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nolanville, TX
Posts: 473
Terrible story. I hope everything works out in the end, but glad you and the passenger walked away without any injuries. It looks like that without hard evidence, it's going to be a hard fight. That's just how the system is sometimes and it really sucks....

Makes me get a dash cam because of it.
__________________
2010 Phantom Black Exige S240 [Kold-fire Custom Tune] [RLS 3.0"][RLS IC, IC pipe, IC shroud, Heatshield] [RLS sidescoop kit] [Saiku Michi Catch Can] [Walboro 255][BWR De-cat] [BOE 1/4 Stick] [itg filter] [Jim Clayton's Tow Hook] [CF Splitter, Sidescoops, Wing Blade, Gas Cap]soon: [CF Sideskirts] [REV 300+] Journal
1995 Whitest White RHD Subaru Impreza STi type RA ver. II
sizzflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
chilelise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 245
That sucks but sounds so familiar. It is always your word against theirs, unless you have a witness or video. You need to get a blackbox camera.

It records GPS location, speed, and sounds. It automatically turns on and off. Even records while car is parked. Quality is high even at night. It fits behind the mirror and less visible to potential thieves.
chilelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Leebenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 91
Images: 4
So sorry to hear your story......I suggest you treat it like the girl with too many lovers before you, remember your best ride.. then encourage her her to find a new home.
Leebenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Mike808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichards View Post
For everyone's sake, what was the name of the shipping company that messed up in the first place?
I used MontwayAutoTransport I wasn't there when they picked up the vehicle or I would have obviously seen the guy was a complete idiot attaching it through the frame. I was surprised the tears were as minor as they were being hauled for that distance unless he realized what he did after he saw the damage and attached it by the tires half way there.

When the tears were mended the car was completely safe to drive and I wouldnt have had any problems in the future regarding that which was why I still paid the premium of buying the car back from my insurance. My insurance is actually still fighting a lawsuit against the shipping company because they accepted no fault to what had happened.
Mike808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.