engine overheating after wash and long sit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

engine overheating after wash and long sit

OK, so my car has been parked in the garage for a couple of months now awaiting a new tune and a couple other small things. It recently had its turbo replaced and engine inspected but nothing real major.

I decided to pull it out today and give it a good wash as well as limp it around the block once just to see if anything was leaking (which was one of the initial problems). Well after washing it and hopping in it about halfway around my block the temperature starting shooting up FAST. By the time I was 200 yards or so from my garage it had jumped up to 225-226 and was flashing. I immediately turned it off once I was able to pull in and, after lifting the engine cover, noticed that it smelled like something was burning.

Other things to note is that it is currently about 100 degrees outside and the car was sitting under direct sunlight for the 30 or so minutes it took me to wash it. In addition, I probably got some water in the engine area...I'm not sure if that is a big deal.

Would the car sitting for a long time + being out in the sun potentially cause this? Should I be concerned about the burning smell? Thanks.
2006 ST Exige - GT-28RS, Darton sleeved/decked/line-honed, ARP hardware, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, MWR valves/springs/retainers, RC injectors, Walbro pump, CWorx oil pump, Moroso oil pan, S111 TrackMounts, Spearco intercooler, GReddy catch-can, Turbosmart BOV, Fidanza clutch/flywheel CF Panels/scoops, S111 Rear Diffuser/Rear-Panel Delete/discNOIR Brakes w/SS lines/RTDbrace/Towhook, APR CF Splitter Alpine unit w/MBQuart, CF binnacle/shifter, Schroth harness, S111 shift brace (Sold)
bpfergu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

By the way...this has NEVER happened. The highest I've ever seen the car was 205 for a split second, and that was in stop an go traffic when it was 105 outside.

Could it sitting in a garage for 6 weeks really cause this? Or is it something that the shop potentially did?
2006 ST Exige - GT-28RS, Darton sleeved/decked/line-honed, ARP hardware, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, MWR valves/springs/retainers, RC injectors, Walbro pump, CWorx oil pump, Moroso oil pan, S111 TrackMounts, Spearco intercooler, GReddy catch-can, Turbosmart BOV, Fidanza clutch/flywheel CF Panels/scoops, S111 Rear Diffuser/Rear-Panel Delete/discNOIR Brakes w/SS lines/RTDbrace/Towhook, APR CF Splitter Alpine unit w/MBQuart, CF binnacle/shifter, Schroth harness, S111 shift brace (Sold)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elise Driver

Was the radiator fan running?

Was it driven much after the turbo install?
2001 Toyota Celica 2ZZ Turbo 950 crank hp, 200+ mph
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 500+hp, 10's
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/
Monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Puff Daddy

Sounds like something the shop did.

If you have a water cooled turbo, they may have failed to bleed the coolant properly after replacing it.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

check

fluid levels
fan working ie coming on
thermostat could be stuck closed - do you use watter wetter?
05 Lotus Elise VF2 to TVS, MWR Fuel Rail, Stage II exhaust w/ Larini Decat, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Aluminum Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, HID, Carbon Fiber Spliter, Reverie Side Scoops, CF side skirts, FF gauge pod, BWR gauge pod, S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, LETSLA, Cup holder center console and painted ac surround, 2lbs SS shifter knob, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam upgrade
lt0302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Raising this thread from the dead as I'm hoping to solve this issue soon and get the car back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
Was the radiator fan running?

Was it driven much after the turbo install?
I'm not real sure if the radiator fan was running. Is there an easy way to check beyond getting out of the car and looking? Honestly, once I saw that the car was overheating I went straight back home and parked the car.

My reflash is set up so that my intercooler fans will continue to run until the car drops below a certain temperature, even after the car is shut off, and they ran for like 30 minutes after the car was turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Sounds like something the shop did.

If you have a water cooled turbo, they may have failed to bleed the coolant properly after replacing it.
After talking to the shop, the said they drained some of the coolant out when replacing the turbo, so it seems like an air pocket forming in the lines is what is most likely. I tried topping off the reservoir (as it was a bit low) after the engine cooled down, but do you think that any air pockets are still going to be in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt0302 View Post
fluid levels
fan working ie coming on
thermostat could be stuck closed - do you use watter wetter?
I'm not real sure what a watter wetter is, so I'm leaning towards no? haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling