Engine temp issue, car won't warm up? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Engine temp issue, car won't warm up?

Ok so I have been having an issue last couple days, My cars water temp readout would not display at all. The limiter is coming on at 6kRPM even after the car warms up completely.
So I went out and bought a new water temp sensor.
I took the old sensor out and replaced it. Started up the car and it ran for a few minutes and did not display anything on the dash for temperature. While it was running I unplugged the lead to the sensor, The car revved up a bit then down again and continued to idle. I plugged it back in and it did the same thing. So at least its doing something. I shut it down and plugged in my code reader and I had 2 codes displayed:

PO116
Engine Coolant Temp
CKT Range Pref

and

PO118
Engine Temp Coolant
Circuit high Input

These were prob from me unplugging it while running the engine --- Dumb I know but frustration was setting in.
I reset the codes and voila! I had temp readings again. Finally displayed 165 so I went for a drive, Temps displayed fine. Boost and everything seemed fine after a spanking run past 6K rpm. It ran normal. I let out a woohoo! ... and it disappeared again, ****!

I checked all the wires and connections and there was nothing loose. I plugged in the scanner again and got this code:

PO139
O2 Sensor CKT Slow
Response (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Lastly I checked the coolant level and it looked kind of low, when I unscrewed the cap slowly I got a pressure hiss sound and the level went back to normal. Any ideas? I found page SF-63 in the service manual and it does not say much as far as testing goes, my ohm gauge did not do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Temp issues

I had the same issues..........bad thermostat........recommend you replace it with an aftermarket one because the OE has a rubber gasket in the center that if you use a different coolant it will chew it up and the thermostat is stuck open.....at least that is what mine did and it would not warm up...hope this helps
05 Lotus Elise VF2 to TVS, MWR Fuel Rail, Stage II exhaust w/ Larini Decat, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Aluminum Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, HID, Carbon Fiber Spliter, Reverie Side Scoops, CF side skirts, FF gauge pod, BWR gauge pod, S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, LETSLA, Cup holder center console and painted ac surround, 2lbs SS shifter knob, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam upgrade
lt0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you check the thermostat to make sure it isnt stuck in the open position?
Never mind, I saw that someone beat me by a minute

Last edited by xxxotic; 03-06-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Similar reply already posted
xxxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Aaah, Thanks! I am using Water Wetter so that probably did it!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

bingo

that is what I used also......so now we have scientific proof that the water wetter does not play well with oe thermostat...
05 Lotus Elise VF2 to TVS, MWR Fuel Rail, Stage II exhaust w/ Larini Decat, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Aluminum Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, HID, Carbon Fiber Spliter, Reverie Side Scoops, CF side skirts, FF gauge pod, BWR gauge pod, S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, LETSLA, Cup holder center console and painted ac surround, 2lbs SS shifter knob, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam upgrade
lt0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure why anybody would want to mess with any aftermarket coolant cocktails. I live in Los Angeles and have crawled through traffic in triple digit August temps and my coolant NEVER exceeded 216F after 45 minutes of never getting above 15mph (NOT boiling, the coolant takes the boiling point up to 260F - and at 216 was still effectively wicking away all the excess engine heat - it dropped down to a normal 187-192F once traffic started moving).

I find the cooling systems more than adequate in these cars - in that same August triple digit temp scenario, my thermostat stuck open (due to the occasional randomness of thermostats in general) and the car wouldn't reach operating temperature in open traffic.
Larini SE Exhaust LETSLA shift kit Exige Seats LSS Wheels
Lift Point Kit and Jack Helper
Difflow 5-Element Diffusor
ErictheBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Interesting, I have a couple of bottles of Water Wetter that I was considering using, but now won't take the chance.
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

I dont think the wetter did it. Been in the car now for 2 years. But anythings possible I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling