Overheating but no high temperature reading - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Overheating but no high temperature reading

Hi everyone, I need your help!

I was just stuck in a slow moving traffic jam in my 2004 111S. My temperature stayed really low (on the gauges at least)

But then I suddenly saw steam coming from the rear. Put it at the side of the road and noticed my coolant boiling in the overflow tank, and almost completely draining it. Strange thing was though that the car said the temperature was at 80 Celsius.

Let the car cool down, refilled the overflow tank, and carefully drove the car home. Didn't overheat anymore, and all the coolant stayed in the tank. Strange thing was though that it didn't read any temperatures for the rest of the 15 minute trip home. (Either temperature stayed under 70 or something else..)

What do you think it could be? Broken coolant temp sensor? Broken thermostat? I'll be changing the pressure cap of the overflow tank, but that alone couldn't have caused all the problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 AM

Temp sensor makes sense

If you lose coolant the sensor can stop registering temp properly

If you did not lose coolant after refilling it makes sense that the sensor is bad.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I have the feeling my thermostat isn't opening as it's supposed to. Just let the car idle for a while, and as the engine got hot the radiator and radiator hoses didn't. There were also no engine temp readings (so the temp sensor stayed under 70 Celsius)

Is there a temperature sensor located at the radiator? Or are they always both in the engine department?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 AM

Loss of pressure could actually explain all of your problems - as you observed boiling, but you didn't actually observe temperatures (localized at that - remember, just because some of the coolant was >100, doesn't mean it was on average). I'd start there before you worry too much.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
Loss of pressure could actually explain all of your problems - as you observed boiling, but you didn't actually observe temperatures (localized at that - remember, just because some of the coolant was >100, doesn't mean it was on average). I'd start there before you worry too much.
You mean at the pressure cap? But then why would the coolant be boiling there? Then there should still be something that's not right in the cooling system right..?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipoo View Post
You mean at the pressure cap? But then why would the coolant be boiling there? Then there should still be something that's not right in the cooling system right..?
Yeah, air - air bubbles in the cooling system can cause very hot portions that will boil off in the overflow, and the rest of the coolant may not be excessively heated. The pressure cap not holding pressure is very much a "thing not right" - if you kept going, probably would heat up more, but don't do that. Cap is an easy fix - you might even want to clean it off real good and see if you can get it to seal in the mean time.

What you describe is very accurate to that problem - don't rule the others out, they could also be issues, just start there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.