Upgrading Radiator System Questions on Components - Page 10 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jim-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida
Posts: 2,620
I installed two 10" puller fans. Purchased from Summit Racing, $65.00 each.
Working great.
Attached Images
  
Jim-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #182 (permalink)
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 5,286
Images: 6
Mr. Jim- Did you just will the electricity to those fans??
__________________

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 400+whp

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works || 2005 GG Elise, Rev400, Street Car || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car


www.boefab.com: Lotus Performance Engineering and Service Specialists

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Engineering & Innovation by Lotus People For Lotus People
Somethin ain't worth do'n, if it ain't worth do'n right
turbophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered User
 
holmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 2,069
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Mr. Jim- Did you just will the electricity to those fans??
Using them as a placebo first is a good idea to do a double blind test.
holmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Jim-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fort Lauderdale Florida
Posts: 2,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Mr. Jim- Did you just will the electricity to those fans??
Good eye. I need to update that picture. I should leave them disconnected and see if that helps my low voltage.

or

That's how us hillbillies wire things.

Jim-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #185 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sfelise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 305
So I'm contemplating having the radiator changed out at the dealers when they do the oil line recall. Since the dealer would be doing it, I'd like to keep it as straightforward as possible so there can be no finger pointing. Any opinions on what is currently a good radiator/bracket/fan setup?

I plan on keeping the A/C and intend to put a supercharger on my Elise. It will see some hot track days. Is proalloy single pass, and sector111 upper fan bracket kit the way to go at this point?
__________________
Eric Jennings

2005 Elise
2004 S4 Avant
1995 M3 (RIP)
sfelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #186 (permalink)
Registered User
 
<@@>'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Memphis - right now
Posts: 2,953
Images: 6
Garage
Install this....
Pro Alloy Motorsport - Specialist alloy components - Lotus Elise,Exige,340R,211,Europa Alloy Race Radiator
__________________
All I want out of life are the keys to Jay Leno's Garage...

A man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
<@@> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #187 (permalink)
Registered User
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,404
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfelise View Post
So I'm contemplating having the radiator changed out at the dealers when they do the oil line recall. Since the dealer would be doing it, I'd like to keep it as straightforward as possible so there can be no finger pointing. Any opinions on what is currently a good radiator/bracket/fan setup?

I plan on keeping the A/C and intend to put a supercharger on my Elise. It will see some hot track days. Is proalloy single pass, and sector111 upper fan bracket kit the way to go at this point?
if you are having a dealer install it then they may only work with pro-alloy & no other brand...

but in my opinion, i would want a single pass unit (which iirc pro-alloy doesn't supply)
__________________
'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, VF N/A tune, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, Powerflex inserts, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, Enkei RPF1's, BWR studs...
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 31
I have contacted Wizard Cooling and they are coming out with a direct replacement radiator for the Elise. I was looking at replacing with the oil line recall. They say the new radiator will be a good replacement for the stock radiator and they also have a "track" radiator that is currently available. I am looking to get the new model and have it installed. I told Scott Attig from Wizard I would let everyone know there will be another radiator solution coming out by within the next month or so.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #189 (permalink)
Registered User
 
philethier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I have contacted Wizard Cooling and they are coming out with a direct replacement radiator for the Elise. I was looking at replacing with the oil line recall. They say the new radiator will be a good replacement for the stock radiator and they also have a "track" radiator that is currently available. I am looking to get the new model and have it installed. I told Scott Attig from Wizard I would let everyone know there will be another radiator solution coming out by within the next month or so.
I am very interested in this.
__________________
Phil Ethier West Side Saint Paul Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duxbury, MA
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
if you are having a dealer install it then they may only work with pro-alloy & no other brand...

but in my opinion, i would want a single pass unit (which iirc pro-alloy doesn't supply)
The ProAlloy UK website lists both single pass and triple pass versions, all else same (twin row, 45mm thick). They also show the top mount fan kit (twin Spal fans, laser cut mount).
__________________
-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
AustinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #191 (permalink)
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 5,286
Images: 6
We just got in a pallet of single pass PA rads... also testing a similar single pass made in the US, buy a brand some of you know


-PV
__________________

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 400+whp

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works || 2005 GG Elise, Rev400, Street Car || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car


www.boefab.com: Lotus Performance Engineering and Service Specialists

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Engineering & Innovation by Lotus People For Lotus People
Somethin ain't worth do'n, if it ain't worth do'n right
turbophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 31
Looks like I'm going to wait for Wizard Cooling to develop the newer "non racing" radiator which is suppose to be a single pass all aluminum and a direct install. Scot says he will have it soon and I will look to have Sports and Specialists Cars (Princeon Lotus) install. Here is what Scot advised me:

"If you haven't done anything to increase the HP, just wait. The new rad will save you some money. It will still cool better than stock, but the part will be less and since you are having someone else do the work you will be paying less for labor on the new version. Our plan is to offer 2 units. The current one will be for the hard core racer guys, the new one will be for the dealerships and the more stock applications."

This may give the "street" cars a good option.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #193 (permalink)
tmr
Registered User
 
tmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 934
Quote:
"If you haven't done anything to increase the HP, just wait. The new rad will save you some money. It will still cool better than stock, but the part will be less and since you are having someone else do the work you will be paying less for labor on the new version. Our plan is to offer 2 units. The current one will be for the hard core racer guys, the new one will be for the dealerships and the more stock applications."
I gave them feedback that their radiator was somewhat thicker than stock and did require slight modification to fit. Maybe this is the response?
__________________
'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, 90k miles - used for hauling stuff
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #194 (permalink)
Registered User
 
holmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 2,069
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
The ProAlloy UK website lists both single pass and triple pass versions, all else same (twin row, 45mm thick). They also show the top mount fan kit (twin Spal fans, laser cut mount).
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
We just got in a pallet of single pass PA rads... also testing a similar single pass made in the US, buy a brand some of you know of
-PV
Exactly.

Why would someone get an unknown unit from wizard in the future if you know ProAlloy has a decent unit now?
holmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #195 (permalink)
glb
Registered User
 
glb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chester, NJ
Posts: 7,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr View Post
I gave them feedback that their radiator was somewhat thicker than stock and did require slight modification to fit. Maybe this is the response?
Yes, a bit of work required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
Why would someone get an unknown unit from wizard in the future if you know ProAlloy has a decent unit now?
IIRC, there were 2-3 reports of the ProAlloy failing early. BUT, I may be thinking of the ProRad that Sector111 offers.

I trust Wizard. Their "original" unit was very nicely made.

I don't know cost differences, but Wizard was $430 + shipping.
__________________
05 elise (PES chip, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
glb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #196 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 31
The reason I am looking at the Wizard is that they have very good reviews for the unit that is currently in use and this new unit will not require any modification. The current product was designed for the "track cars" and this new model will be thinner and for "street" use. It is also supposed to be less expensive than the race model. I don't want to use a unit that requires other modification to the cooling system. This is more of a "factory" replacement option. I understand those using their cars for racing would want to go to a much thicker unit, that would just be overkill for me. I have my formula vee that I get my racing kicks out of.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #197 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Duxbury, MA
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Yes, a bit of work required.



IIRC, there were 2-3 reports of the ProAlloy failing early. BUT, I may be thinking of the ProRad that Sector111 offers.

I trust Wizard. Their "original" unit was very nicely made.

I don't know cost differences, but Wizard was $430 + shipping.
The Sector111 "ProRad" *is* made by Pro Alloy. FWIW, Pro Alloy made a design change in April 2011 ("new design side plates with expansion joints"), I'm pretty sure those failures were before that. I would guess that the change was in response to reported failures, but of course I don't know for sure. I haven't heard of any recent failures of new units, has anyone else?
__________________
-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
AustinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #198 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 721
Great Aftermarket radiator supplier

I, just like most NASCAR and other racing teams, have been using Ron Davis radiators for the last 20 years. It is great stuff that all others are maesured against. It is not the cheapest.

The we site lists Lotus stock mount:

Ron Davis aluminum radiators for racing, offroad, performance street car, and other custom applications

I had a racing rad made. It is 3" thick, so no provisions for A/C, although it looks like there is room there.... It is a triple pass. I run 700hp, on a cool day on a tight track but I never got above 160. My fan has only turned on when I idle the car for 20 mins in the shop. I run an electric water pump and no thermostat.

Based on the size of the stock radiator location, I was promised 550hp with triple-pass. Perhaps it would easily do that, full out for hours in 95F weather with some breathing room....

Anton
ageshelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #199 (permalink)
Registered User
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,404
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
The ProAlloy UK website lists both single pass and triple pass versions, all else same (twin row, 45mm thick). They also show the top mount fan kit (twin Spal fans, laser cut mount).
nice, for a while PA didn't offer single pass as far as i saw...
__________________
'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, VF N/A tune, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, Powerflex inserts, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, Enkei RPF1's, BWR studs...
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #200 (permalink)
tmr
Registered User
 
tmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 934
Quote:
The reason I am looking at the Wizard is that they have very good reviews for the unit that is currently in use and this new unit will not require any modification. The current product was designed for the "track cars" and this new model will be thinner and for "street" use. It is also supposed to be less expensive than the race model. I don't want to use a unit that requires other modification to the cooling system. This is more of a "factory" replacement option. I understand those using their cars for racing would want to go to a much thicker unit, that would just be overkill for me. I have my formula vee that I get my racing kicks out of.
It works fine for street use here in the sunny south, as conditions here in traffic can get pretty warm. You might not need it in Pennsylvania, but it would be a selling point to your next owner. The modification required is not impossible, it's just that it wasn't claimed or expected. I posted a few photos earlier in this thread showing what had to be done.

I agree that the Wizard is well-made and I picked them due to single pass plus no bad reviews by anyone on the forum. Others did have problems with ones from other sources, some of them being triple-pass models. So far, so good after over a year's service, including one day in traffic last summer when ambient temperature was around 105 F.
__________________
'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, 90k miles - used for hauling stuff
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Cooling



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.