Moroso oil pan question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Moroso oil pan question

So while talking to a fellow Exige owner the eternal Track Triology of Terror discussion came up.

After reading these forums I was under the impression that the Moroso oil pan is The One to buy and that it is a bolt on item, but this guy claimed that the Moroso pan will not fit on the car without modifications?

Is this true? I'd be shocked if it is...?

Understeer is when you hit the wall front first.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall rear first.
Horsepower is how fast you go when you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Visit my photo gallery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM

It requires a minor modification to the stock windage tray, there are pics posted here in one of the oil pan threads showing a couple examples of how folks made it fit. I have the Moroso pan, it was no big deal. Removing the old pan was more work than trimming the windage tray. If you do a google image search on "Lotus Moroso windage tray" you'll find the LT thread immediately. Reportedly the "gPAN" sold by Sector111 fits without trimming the windage tray.

HTH,

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I think I can handle that.

Visit my photo gallery

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Plug Whisperer

There are two Moroso pan styles for the 2ZZ in the Lotus. They both fit the car just fine. In total you have 3 pan options, G-Pan, and both Moroso pans. They all three have pros and cons, to be honest. There are some features I like about one pan over the other and there are some things I really hate about each...

I probably like the Moroso pan with the deeper rear section (flywheel side) the best. It can be purchased at Summit Racing for instance. It has the nice drain plug like Sector's, but has a much better layout for serving items like the rear a-arms. It's a little tricky to remove/install the engine with it, but doable for sure. The sump design seems the best on this pan.

I like the G-pan second best because it's the easiest to use for engine removal/installation. I don't like the sump on the G-pan as much as the above Moroso pan. I do like that the G-Pan because it's sold by a Lotus specific vendor. This pan doesn't allow service to the a-arm, which isn't cool.

The moroso with the shallow rear section, I probably like the least. It's also the most popular. It has weirdly tall sump baffle design and a not-so-great drain plug. It also is nearly impossible to install/remove the engine with that pan in place on the Lotus It still allows service to the a-arm though...

They're all way better than stock and I prefer a good pan over an accusump.

2 pennies...

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 400+whp

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works || 2005 GG Elise, Rev400, Street Car || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you turbophil! That is a lot of great info neatly laid out.

Visit my photo gallery
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:10 PM

I forgot about the two versions of the Moroso pan, see There are 2 styles of the Moroso Oil Pan? for pics. The one I have is Moroso part number 20970, and it's the version with the deeper rear section that Phil likes (above).

-Ed
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:05 PM

I read a lengthy debate about stock windage tray. Is there a consensus now? Assuming you guys (turbophil and AustinP) are in the "no problems removing it" camp?

I was thinking Moroso > GPan because of the extra capacity = more cooling, but Gpan > Moroso in not having to remove windage tray
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
pm9

I just installed a 20970 pan which came directly from Moroso. No modifications were required. The pan looks identical to the G-Pan as far as I can see from the pictures (except for the price). As was said, putting the pan on is nothing compared to getting the old one off.

I then removed the cooler, hoses, and sandwich plate. Afterwords, I installed an oil temperature gauge in the provided bung. I have not seen oil temperature above 240F.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateApexer View Post
I read a lengthy debate about stock windage tray. Is there a consensus now? Assuming you guys (turbophil and AustinP) are in the "no problems removing it" camp?...
I think it's better to trim it, rather than remove it, but apparently trimming isn't necessary anymore

-Ed
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm9 View Post
I just installed a 20970 pan which came directly from Moroso. No modifications were required. The pan looks identical to the G-Pan as far as I can see from the pictures (except for the price). As was said, putting the pan on is nothing compared to getting the old one off.

I then removed the cooler, hoses, and sandwich plate. Afterwords, I installed an oil temperature gauge in the provided bung. I have not seen oil temperature above 240F.
Wow. I guess that's one way to prevent sandwich plate failure . How did you get it directly? Website does not have direct ordering, have to go through a dealer, which is fine with me, but just curious..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:33 PM
pm9

LateApexer:
I bought it from Team C Performance. Drop shipped directly from Moroso.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Lubricating System

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.