Wax - What Kind - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Wax - What Kind

Well, I gotta ask it. What type and brand of wax should I use on my '84 Esprit Turbo. Right now, I'm using Zymol. Is that OK?
84EspritS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Autopia.org is probably your best bet.

Zymol is good stuff. You shouldnt have a problem with it. A better but more expensive option is the p21s. A lot of people give it good reviews.
2006 Lotus Exige *Starlight Black Pearl - SOLD
lotuselise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

A LOT use: Meguiars NXT 2 But there's 4,562,794 threads on this subject.
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

I love Zymol and if you are using the HD Cleanse first to clean the paint (after washing of course) and then wax appropriate for the color of your car (darker cars, more carnuba content) you should be fine.

P21s makes great wheel cleaner, but Zymol can't be beat for a wax that is made with food products vs. petroleum products. Most cheaper waxes are going to be too harsh on soft Lotus paint (IMHO)

Good luck, and post pics of your shiny car!
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
MikeinAlexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84EspritS3 View Post
Well, I gotta ask it. What type and brand of wax should I use on my '84 Esprit Turbo. Right now, I'm using Zymol. Is that OK?
Zaino...products that go on easy and last far longer than carnuba type waxes. There are several types. Check the website www.zainostore.com

I use them on My Esprit and have taken Platinum' and Best of Show at several shows over the last two years.

Surface prep is the most important part of the process so make sure you wash the car, clay it and then start to put on the proper sealents to lock in the shine....
Paul S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have been a big Zano fan...

Switched to Megiuires NXT - great stuff. Can't see the difference from Zano and a lot less work.

I use frequently Eagle Spray Nano Wax on cars that don't get washed frequently. This stuff is really great for that purpose. Deep shine. Goes on/off with no effort. Makes the paint look really deep. And can be used on black parts.

Jeff
jeffgrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

I clay the car twice a year and polish with Meguiar's 205, then a couple coats of P21s. In between detailing use P21s and eagle spray nano wax (it formulated for fiberglass cars)
Old 06-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ditto on NXT. I bought a complete Zaino kit a couple years ago, spent 3 days detailing the car and it looked good, but honestly when I did about 1/2 the work with several layers of NXT it looked even better. Zaino did last a whole freaking year though (daily driver), prolly cuz I put on so many layers, but was such a pain I only used half of the wax which has been sitting in my garage ever since. I've bought another bottle of NXT since then... so the Zaino is just going to waste. Basically, Zaino was a PITA and I wasn't very impressed, but I was by the durability. Loved their leather cleaner, interior cleaner, and car wash soap though! Sad I'm out, trying black magic atm... we'll see... :/

I'm considering something I haven't tried before... so far the car has 3 layers of NXT on it after a full wash/clay bar etc etc... does anyone think that a final layer of a carnuba wax would add any depth and/or wetness to the look? I've read before some people who had success with putting it on last, but don't know anyone that used it with NXT... Ultimately I've never tried carnuba as the last layer so... really as to the results. Any opinions?
Wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior > Washing, Waxing & Detailing