Retracting Rear Brake Caliper Piston : Tool - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Retracting Rear Brake Caliper Piston : Tool

So you are working on your rear brake calipers... maybe replacing the pads... and you need to retract the piston. Don't clamp it and try to force it! These pistons retract by rotating them clockwise.

You say you don't have a tool for doing this? Sure you do... pull out a needle-nosed pliers, and open it large enough to put each tip of the pliers into one of the two holes on the face of the piston. Apply a firm amount of pressure toward the piston, and rotate clockwise.

Be careful: it is easy to slip when you are doing this. If you slip, and your needle nose pliers nick the rubber boot around the piston, you aren't going to be happy.

Also remember that you need to watch the brake fluid level at the reservoir : when you retract the piston, the level of brake fluid at the reservoir will rise and could spill. Brake fluid eats paint. FYI: Sears Craftsman needle nose pliers are shown, but just about any should work.

While you are at it, use silicone spray and an old toothbrush to clean all of the brake dust out of the piston dust boot. Don't get any silicone on the pads or rotor surface.

Thomasio

Last edited by Thomasio; 09-26-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Thomasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Great advice, but I would recommend buying a caliper piston retracting tool kit like this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732 . I have used the pliers trick before, but one slip and the long nose tips will put a nice gouge in your hand and possibly tear up the piston face and/or the rubber boot. This kit from HF goes on sale a lot so it can be purchased for about half price--cheap compared to caliper parts or a tetanus shot!
tesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use a pair of snap-ring pliers - same deal though.
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
codymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I agree 100%... but sometimes you get stuck w/o the correct tool.

Thomas
Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

FYI, I bought the Harbor Freight kit and none of the discs are the right size Don't know whether there are different versions of the kit, but buyer beware .......

I use the needle nose pliers and agree there is obvious danger of slipping, but no big deal if done carefully.
chrisp993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyElise View Post
You might want to clean all of that debris off of there before you retract the piston. It tends to get jammed in places you won't get to see until the next pad change.
Absolutely... the photo was staged before I cleaned it up w/ silicone spray (see original post). Good reminder, though.

Thomas
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp993 View Post
FYI, I bought the Harbor Freight kit and none of the discs are the right size Don't know whether there are different versions of the kit, but buyer beware .......

I use the needle nose pliers and agree there is obvious danger of slipping, but no big deal if done carefully.
Harbor Freight has another caliper tool that does NOT fit the Elise. I bought a small cube-shaped tool there this year. It was inexpensive, so no great risk. None of its protrusions are close enough together. Oh well.
1985 Swift DB1/Honda - SCCA Formula F #66
sk8nSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have done the needle nose plier thing in the past but finally broke down and bought the Lisle Universal caliper compressor tool. It's one of those things you won't use a lot but is nice to have when you do use it

www.billswebspace.com/lotus

www.syntheticfirst.com
wrh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nSam View Post
Harbor Freight has another caliper tool that does NOT fit the Elise. I bought a small cube-shaped tool there this year. It was inexpensive, so no great risk. None of its protrusions are close enough together. Oh well.
You can get another cube one that won't work from Pep-Boys
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've used a large C-Clamp on my MINI, which has the same idea for the rear calipers. Clamp on, and it puts pressure on while rotating the piston. Works great on the MINI. Haven't tried a pad change on the Lotus yet. Kinda like this pic, but it's a Land Rover I believe.
Cheers,
Skottoman
2006 AR N/A Exige-Touring pack-Starshield-TopspeedPro1 exhaust-DeSnorked-Green filter-RTD ToeBrace-Shims Removed-CF Diffuser-CF Splitter-CF Wing-CF Scoops w/custom grills-Black Exige sticker-PC680 battery-S111 battery holddown-Rear Lotus badge-Carpet buttons-Painted shift knob-Painted Console-EBrake Gaiter-SilverStealth bulbs-Front S111 towhook-Polk speakers-Toyo R888s-Lamin-x turn signal tint
2008 BMW X3 with some mods
2006 Cayman 'S' (wife's car)
skottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottoman View Post
I've used a large C-Clamp on my MINI, which has the same idea for the rear calipers. Clamp on, and it puts pressure on while rotating the piston. Works great on the MINI. Haven't tried a pad change on the Lotus yet. Kinda like this pic, but it's a Land Rover I believe.
Cheers,
Skottoman
That's the normal way to push the piston back in on a typical single piston front brake caliper. But it shouldn't work on the rear caliper of most cars. The rear caliper has a mechanism internal to it that is used to apply the parking brake. It mechanically pushes the piston instead of hydraulically. They also incorporate a self adjusting mechanism inside the caliper to keep the parking brake adjusted as the pad wears. The reason that you need to screw the piston back in is to "rewind" the adjuster - just squeezing it with the C-clamp won't do it - in fact, you don't need to compress it at all, screwing it in does the retraction.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
The reason that you need to screw the piston back in is to "rewind" the adjuster - just squeezing it with the C-clamp won't do it - in fact, you don't need to compress it at all, screwing it in does the retraction.
But that's the interesting part on my MINI. The turning action of the threaded part of the C-Clamp 'turns' the piston, and it compresses at the same time. I've just found it to be an easier and cleaner way to 'turn' the piston.

Disclaimer though, this works on my MINI, I have NOT tried this on my Lotus.
Just clearing up that you can actually 'turn' the piston with a c-clamp.
Cheers,
Skottoman
2006 AR N/A Exige-Touring pack-Starshield-TopspeedPro1 exhaust-DeSnorked-Green filter-RTD ToeBrace-Shims Removed-CF Diffuser-CF Splitter-CF Wing-CF Scoops w/custom grills-Black Exige sticker-PC680 battery-S111 battery holddown-Rear Lotus badge-Carpet buttons-Painted shift knob-Painted Console-EBrake Gaiter-SilverStealth bulbs-Front S111 towhook-Polk speakers-Toyo R888s-Lamin-x turn signal tint
2008 BMW X3 with some mods
2006 Cayman 'S' (wife's car)
skottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Harbor freight has the appropriate tool for like 50$ or less. Definitely worth it.
Žob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
xtn

Needle nosed pliers ARE the appropriate tool. You are unlikely to damage the boot unless YOU are a tool. A $50 specialty item is nothing more than a gimmick.

I also cleaned out my boots before they got accordianed back into place, but I used braked cleaner with a brush, not silicone.

xtn
2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
xtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

just like the subaru fronts.
the first time i did the screw-ins i almost screwed up!
golly, has it been THAT long ago??
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn View Post
Needle nosed pliers ARE the appropriate tool. You are unlikely to damage the boot unless YOU are a tool. A $50 specialty item is nothing more than a gimmick.

I also cleaned out my boots before they got accordianed back into place, but I used braked cleaner with a brush, not silicone.

xtn
Trust me, when those calipers age and get a little more use, needle nose pliers will no longer cut it. It definitely is NOT a gimmick. A lot of rear calipers use the thread in & compress technique. Not to mention you really risk tearing the boot if you slip.

Looks like it's $30 as well. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732
Using the right tool for the job really makes life easier and saves a lot of potential headaches.
Žob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ®ob View Post
Trust me, when those calipers age and get a little more use, needle nose pliers will no longer cut it. It definitely is NOT a gimmick. A lot of rear calipers use the thread in & compress technique. Not to mention you really risk tearing the boot if you slip.

Looks like it's $30 as well. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732
Using the right tool for the job really makes life easier and saves a lot of potential headaches.
I cannot imagine how I might slip with the needle noses. There would have to be an earthquake or something. Such an event would likely cause me to damage the boot even holding the special tool in my hand.

I agree that using the right too, IN GENERAL!!!, is definately the better idea. But in this particular case I cannot see any advantage. It's much easier to use what you have if it works well than it is to place an order, spend money, wait for delivery, etc.

I will go ahead and trust you that they may not work as well as the pistons age. I don't know. If there does come a time when the needle noses don't work well, I'll consider the special tool.

xtn
2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator Extraordinaire!

I can attest to the fact that the pistons become less likely to move easily with age. I spent a few years damaging the pistons on my old RX-7's rear calipers (track car) with a pliers. The first few times they rotated easily but by the end it was nearly impossible to rotate them without the proper tools. I ended up scarring the chrome plating on the surface of the pistons and damaging the boots (as well as my hands) when the pliers slipped which lead to the pistons rusting and moisture getting past the rubber boots and eventually seizing the pistons nicely into the calipers. This cost me a lot of time and money in the end when they could no longer be rebuilt. I say use whatever you want on your caliper pistons (I also prefer not to buy specialty tools if I don't need them), but my experience is that this is one of those jobs that really is better with the right tools.
tesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'd say that if the pistons resist moving due to age that it's time to consider rebuilding the calipers.
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
codymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
xtn

I would humbly suggest that if they will not rotate as they did when they were younger that something is wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal > Tools