Guide to Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL problems - Cobra 8186 Elise/Exige & 6422 Esprit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Guide to Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL problems - Cobra 8186 Elise/Exige & 6422 Esprit

Many alarm related question are repeatably asked, therefore I have consolidated the most popular ones into this source. I will be adding as necessary.
Cheers,
Michael

ELISE / EXIGE 2005 - 2007 - Cobra 8186

Symptom; Intermittent flashing Security/RPM light when engine is running.
Probable Cause; This is not an alarm issue, it is loose or corroded battery terminals, (including the battery terminal adapters), or alternator connections.
Solution; Check all connections for tightness and cleanliness.

Symptom; LED on Wireless Remote Fob is on constantly.
Cause; Low battery in the Remote
Solution; Replace battery with a "CR2032".

Symptom; The alarm/immobilizer/CDL does not respond to either remote key fob.
Probable Cause;
a) The remote has lost synchronization.
b) Low remote battery, which would be indicated by constant illumination of the remote’s red LED
c) Low voltage on vehicles battery.
d) Fuses F7 or F11 blown
Solution;
a) Resynchronize the remotes.
b) Replace remote battery.
c) Test vehicle battery voltage and charge or replace as needed.
d) Install Cobra Emergency Override Touch Key. Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL Emergency Overide

REMOTE KEY FOB RESYNCHRONIZATION - WHEN EXISTING REMOTE CEASES TO WORK
1) Remove battery & wait 10 seconds before re-installing (re-sync can fail if this step is missed)
2) Hold down both buttons (LED will light) for approx.10 seconds until LED turns off.
3) Release both buttons and LED will turn on constantly.
4) Press large button for one second, LED will flash…re-sync complete

Symptom; Using the remote key fob, the doors do not lock and/or unlock, however the alarm arms and disarms normally.
Probable Cause; Defective CDL module.
Solution; Replace the CDL module.

REPLACING THE CDL MODULE
The CDL module can be located by removing the start/light switch panel and pushing the foam back to expose the module. The easiest replacement solution is to pull the wiring harness plug on the defective module and plug it into the replacement unit. Using double sided tape, secure the new unit on top of the defective unit, which is now left in place.

Symptom; Constant buzz after the alarm is armed.
Probable Cause;
a) Door, front access panels or trunk/engine lid open.
b) Interior light in center or up position.
Solution;
a) Disarm alarm and close the opening.
b) Put light into down position

Symptom; Alarm triggered
Probable Cause; Defective, or over sensitive alarm sensor.
Solution; Determine the cause by counting the number of blinks of the security LED & adjust the appropriate sensor.

Symptom; Interior Microwave sensor triggers alarm.
Probable Cause;
a) Environment too harsh (heavy rain, thunder etc).
b) Sensitivity
Solution;
a) Temporarily bypass Microwave by arming the alarm normally and then pressing the smaller “B” button twice within 20 seconds.
b) Adjust sensitivity of Microwave by either removing interior rear bulkhead panel, or drill hole in panel to gain access to adjustment. Microwave adjustment thread

Symptom; Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL can’t be deactivated.
Cause; Loss of Remote Key Fobs
Solution;
a) Open car door by looping a piece of cord around the interior door lock button and pulling it up. Now use alarm PIN code to deactivate system.
b) Touch center white/orange wire of the Inertia Switch in engine bay to battery positive and door locks will open. Now use PIN code to deactivate system.
c) Install Cobra Emergency Override Touch Key. Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL Emergency Overide

Symptom; Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL can’t be deactivated.
Cause; Vehicle battery voltage too low.
Solution; Apply power to the battery by jumping from another source

Symptom; Unlock doors with remote, button pops up, but doors will not open
Cause; Door lock cylinder has been turned to the vertical position.
Solution; Using key, unlock doors by turning lock cylinder to the horizontal position.

ESPRIT - Cobra 6422

Symptom; Inability to program Remote Fob
Cause; Touch Key not inserted into receptacle
Solution; Insert Touch Key into Receptacle during programming sequence.

Problem; No available Touch Key
Solution; Alarm ECU needs to be sent to me for programming the inclusion of Touch Key which is supplied.

Last edited by SirLotus; 09-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Viper,

On this issue I have had a low battery that gave me this symptom both times it occurred. Doors would lock but then buzz after about 15 sec.

Symptom; Constant buzz after the alarm is armed.

#349 '05 AS Elise Touring, Hardtop, Starshield, Plinth delete, GPS Garmin 680, V1, V1 mirror, Leather console, Multivex, Alpine CDA9887, JL stealthbox, Focals, Alpine PDX 5, HID, RAC Monolites, R888's, Stage II, Front Slotted rotors, R4-S pads, Stebel nautilus, TitanQR and Odyssey 925 now with bracket.
dbisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Considering purchasing a 2005 Elise from a fellow LT member. The car is having issues with the immobilizer. He stated that he went to replace the battery in the key FOB because it was 5 years old. After replacing the battery the FOB did not work. So he bought a new FOB here on LT from Viper. After that the immobilizer began to "sometimes" not work. What would cause it to work one time and the other not work? He said when it does not work the red light in the dash does not blink. He let the car sit for several hours and it worked fine again. What could it be?

05 Lotus Elise- Magnetic Blue/Biscuit (Purchased 08-27-11)
KoenigElise05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenigElise05 View Post
Considering purchasing a 2005 Elise from a fellow LT member. The car is having issues with the immobilizer. He stated that he went to replace the battery in the key FOB because it was 5 years old. After replacing the battery the FOB did not work. So he bought a new FOB here on LT from Viper. After that the immobilizer began to "sometimes" not work. What would cause it to work one time and the other not work? He said when it does not work the red light in the dash does not blink. He let the car sit for several hours and it worked fine again. What could it be?
Sounds like a low battery issue.
Michael
Old 04-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm curious what causes the remote to loose syncronization?

Dave
'86 Mainship 34'
------------------------
Living the Dream!!!
DWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilde View Post

Dave
I have no idea, however I have not heard of it happening in other wireless remote systems. You just gotta love Cobra.
Michael
Old 04-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilde View Post

Dave
The first thing that comes to mind is that we have an Italian alarm in a British car and neither country is exactly well known for producing robust electronics.........

Nice write up on the alarm issues Michael!
tesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Symptom; Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL can’t be deactivated with Manual PIN entry.

Symptom; Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL can’t be deactivated with manual PIN entry
Solution; Replace broken door lock fuse

FYI: According to Star Motors Houston, my Elise wouldn't recognize the manual PIN entry due to the door lock fuse being broken. Had I replaced it, I would've saved myself a $660 towing charge.

Background story: The battery went bad, alarm module ($560) killed over, and the door lock fuse all went out at the same time. I unlocked the car with a coat hanger & spent many hours manually entering the PIN with the ignition--no luck. Dealer rep told me the car wouldn't recognize my PIN due to the broken fuse; NOT the busted alarm module. Initially I tried bypassing the alarm by splicing into the harness behind the driver seat, but it appears the previous owner already destroyed that harness (all wires already spliced & electrical taped together), I was unable to determine which wire was what.

Customer service rant: Bruce (Service Mgr) @ Star Motors Houston was phenomenal. Unfortunately their new car showroom personnel was absolutely awful. I'm not sure what their sales numbers are right now, but I'd be amazed if it's anything but down.
txdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

ALARM "Chirp" upon arming/ disarming.

I thought I had read a how-to in activating this feature, which, if I recall, seemed to include pulling a fuse and reinserting...

anyhow: I have been searching using the search feature with no luck, just tried every combination of words I could fathom.

Can someone point out that link to me?

thanks!
'06 Lotus Elise Ardent Red, Touring, Sport, Driving Lights, Stage II Exhaust, Risen Engine Covers, Star Shield, SirLotus' Front Under Clam Protectors in anti-matter-black, Yoko's, Sector111 FFI Cover; DS Brace Toe-link upgrade and cool Carpet Buttons, Long Blond Hairs in Pax Seat ... I think the most important thing is that in the last seven days we've just had the greatest adventure of our lifetimes.” (Richard Branson)
High_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Activate/Deactivate Buzzer: Press large remote fob button “A” within 5 seconds of connecting power (pull fuse F11).
Michael
Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Cobra 8186

Adding additional "new" fob?

These come up for sale from time to time... is there an easy method to add one?

Do you still sell the Cobra Emergency Override Touch Key?
lotus_dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus_dp View Post
Cobra 8186

Adding additional "new" fob?

These come up for sale from time to time... is there an easy method to add one?

Do you still sell the Cobra Emergency Override Touch Key?
Sure do, PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Michael
Old 05-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

$solved$
Here is my issue:

fob won't do anything. It is not on the solid red state. I have tried re syncing it anyways. when doing so, the solid red light goes out... as if it were going to work.

I can lock and unlock doors from the button on the center console, I can turn my key and it shows start up as normal.... but no interaction with the fob=no start.

Interior light does work.

the fuses I checked look fine....

Is there something else I can check? related to the alarm system I am betting.

Thanks in advance.

$it WAS resync, and after a million tries + checking everything else and considering taking the car apart.... it started working$

Last edited by manshoon11; 05-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.
manshoon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am having the same issue minus the fact that my immobilizer doesnt activate. anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon11 View Post
$solved$
Here is my issue:

fob won't do anything. It is not on the solid red state. I have tried re syncing it anyways. when doing so, the solid red light goes out... as if it were going to work.

I can lock and unlock doors from the button on the center console, I can turn my key and it shows start up as normal.... but no interaction with the fob=no start.

Interior light does work.

the fuses I checked look fine....

Is there something else I can check? related to the alarm system I am betting.

Thanks in advance.

$it WAS resync, and after a million tries + checking everything else and considering taking the car apart.... it started working$
2005 Elise in CO....Sport/Touring, Vision Function Stage2 Larini Se, Euro Grills, Trakmounts, LETSLA, Splitter, ARP Canards, raceview mirrors, Micro Mirror, RTD BRACE, Bootie, Folding front and boomerang tow hooks, 5000k HIDs , and License Plate While LED lights, JL c2 5.25f &6.5r, JL XD 600/6 amp, Carbon fiber sub box behind the seat, JL 10w0 sub, Gloss Black LSS wheels, Black Nose and Wheel Badges, Black Diffuser......
pyro40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro40t View Post
I am having the same issue minus the fact that my immobilizer doesnt activate. anyone have any ideas?
You need to re-program the fobs or replace fuse F11 Remote Key Fob, Immobilizer & Misc Alarm Programming
Michael
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Newly noticed symptom the interior light doesnt come on regardless of position. This is in conjunction with neither fob locking or unlocking the doors and the immobilizer doesnt activate regardless of timeframe, the car running or anthing ect. The center door lock switch will lock and unlock the doors just fine.
2005 Elise in CO....Sport/Touring, Vision Function Stage2 Larini Se, Euro Grills, Trakmounts, LETSLA, Splitter, ARP Canards, raceview mirrors, Micro Mirror, RTD BRACE, Bootie, Folding front and boomerang tow hooks, 5000k HIDs , and License Plate While LED lights, JL c2 5.25f &6.5r, JL XD 600/6 amp, Carbon fiber sub box behind the seat, JL 10w0 sub, Gloss Black LSS wheels, Black Nose and Wheel Badges, Black Diffuser......
pyro40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro40t View Post
Newly noticed symptom the interior light doesnt come on regardless of position. This is in conjunction with neither fob locking or unlocking the doors and the immobilizer doesnt activate regardless of timeframe, the car running or anthing ect. The center door lock switch will lock and unlock the doors just fine.
Fuse F11
Mchael
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Okay, I think somehow I TRIGGERED the immobilizer, and now the car acts completely dead.

I put the key in and turned it, I MAY (not sure) have pressed the main button on the fob in that position, and when I pressed the start button, there was one fast click (that MIGHT have been the starter beginning to crank, or not), and all went immediately dead.

The remote battery is fine.

I tried to do the code sequence for the immobilizer, but when I turn key in ignition on-off 3 times, there is no dashboard response that indicates that I may enter the code (by turning the key more times).

please help!
2009 Toyota Rav4 - winter car, also for carrying anything larger than a 2-slot toaster
drchris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

This thread might have saved my life.
It's misting tonight and will be in the 20's by morning.
Thought I was going to have to ride the motorcycle cause the car wouldn't start.
Thanks SirLotus
92 Toyota Previa
DWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Both of my two remotes work, but the older one has no red light....fresh battery did not fix the red light? It works--just a dead light?
Joegnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL