Increase the range of your remote - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #161 (permalink)

just do it !
the alarm board in european model is very far and behind the panel of speaker.
i had to insert my hand inside the hole of air cup, and it was very difficult for my hand (now blooded as yours).
but the result is ok now !
i extended the cable of antenna along the front glass under the plastic.
tomorrow i will check it.

Max
Lulu (Italy) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #162 (permalink)

Wow, I just did this mod and you guys weren't kidding! I stuck my hand in for 1 second, pulled it out, and I'm dripping blood everywhere!

After a quick trip for band-aids and gloves, I have now extended the range of my remote to about 50 feet. I didn't add any wire, just freed the existing antenna wire from the bundle.

Thanks everyone!
JUNGLISTluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #163 (permalink)

I did this today, no cuts. My 06 touring had the foam tape on the bottom and I put on some latex gloves as well. I had a huge grey foam block to the right when I pulled off the panel. Took a flathead screwdriver and shoved it under the block to wedge it up.

I found the clear plastic bag with the bundle of wires and the single black wire on the outside of it. Cut the zip tie holding the bag shut and started to pull the single black wire. I noticed it was actually taped into the bundle further to the right (inside the bag). I kept pulling and off a sudden I realized the short loose end of the black wire comes loose from the LEFT SIDE! (more towards the middle of the car) it looks like most of the pics but I'm hoping I did it right. I just bent it upwards in the cavity and closed it back up, slightly better range but not a dramatic improvement. Did I do something wrong?
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
CosmosMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
II found the clear plastic bag with the bundle of wires and the single black wire on the outside of it. Cut the zip tie holding the bag shut and started to pull the single black wire. I noticed it was actually taped into the bundle further to the right (inside the bag). I kept pulling and off a sudden I realized the short loose end of the black wire comes loose from the LEFT SIDE! (more towards the middle of the car) it looks like most of the pics but I'm hoping I did it right. I just bent it upwards in the cavity and closed it back up, slightly better range but not a dramatic improvement. Did I do something wrong?
The only thing you did wrong was getting into the plastic bag. No need to do that. The wire needs to be pulled loose from the bundle on the outside of the bag - just like you did. Sticking the wire straight up increases the range some - mine now works from 10-20 feet away from the car instead of 3 feet. Longer range requires adding a wire to the end, but I'm fine with it as is..

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #165 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Added 36", up and around top of windshield and got a measured 80 foot range.
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #166 (permalink)

Okay, I now offically challange anyone to the "Best Remote Range Contest".

mc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
The only thing you did wrong was getting into the plastic bag. No need to do that. The wire needs to be pulled loose from the bundle on the outside of the bag - just like you did. Sticking the wire straight up increases the range some - mine now works from 10-20 feet away from the car instead of 3 feet. Longer range requires adding a wire to the end, but I'm fine with it as is..
I didn't actually rip the bag open, just kind of traced the single black wire back into the bag only to realize that's the end it's connected to and that the loose end came from the left side. After using the car the whole weekend I realized it didn't help much if at all.
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
CosmosMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #168 (permalink)

I just completed this mod too! THE best mod I have done yet! I cut a wire to about 27" and worked it up around the windshield frame. 110 -140 Ft range now WOW!

MC21: Is that your 911? My CO elise sleeps next to our 996 as well. What do you use for your DD?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #169 (permalink)
eas

Can somebody confirm that this is the wire? I pulled fairly hard but couldn't get it free
Attached Images

eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #170 (permalink)

I did this mod quite a while ago, but that's about how I remember it. That should be the wire. Did you try pulling each direction? I believe there should only be about 6 inches that are held by the tape. I don't remember how hard I had to pull.
2005 Laser Blue Elise, base model (with 2 oil coolers), Bridgestone RE-01R 205/45/16+245/40/17, 4Tress harness bar, 6-Point Schroth harnesses, Cup Car Ohlins, Blackwatch Racing adjustable anti-sway bar, ekological HID kit, Sector 111 rear panel eliminator, 2bular 7" single tip exhaust, Sector111 DOWNLow seat, Sector111 tiny mirror, Braille battery, LidBone, multivex side mirrors, snorkel delete, infinity kappa 42.7 front speakers, acousti-stuff behind rear speakers. It adds up so quickly.
usofrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #171 (permalink)
eas

So I should be pulling from the black tape side and not the plastic wrap side?

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #172 (permalink)
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
So I should be pulling from the black tape side and not the plastic wrap side?

Thanks!
Yes, pull the wire out of the taped side (side on the left) not the side with the plastic bag/wrap. The plastic bag is around your alarm and the connector to the alarm. The wire comes out fairly easy a little bit at a time. Also. if you haven't already done it, please cover the raw edges of the aluminum extrusion with some heavy duty tape in the area you need to insert your hand or you will get badly cut up by the sharp edges,
tesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #173 (permalink)
eas

Will do
Old 08-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #174 (permalink)

OK, OK, I've been reading this thread for months off and on and shaking my head about all you bleeders. HOW MUCH WARNING DO YOU NEED!!!!

I went in slowly and carefully and examined the lower edge that is supposed to be sharp. The way mine was cut, it had an edge, but not razor sharp, so I carefully covered it in duct tape. I then felt around carefully on top and didn't find any more offensive edges. So I went to work prying and mashing on the grey foam block, which was more than stubborn. After a particularly valuable session (upper body workout), I pulled my bare left hand out and, you guessed it. COVERED IN BLOOD!!!!!!!

It actually didn't hurt that much, but on reexamination of the possible suspects, I think I tangled with the exposed screw tip that is holding the whole AC vent fascia in place. After taping that over and putting on a pair of mechanic's gloves, I went back to work.

I couldn't remove the foam, just used a section of steel rod to push it to the left. I could then see the famous black wire which practically fell out into my hand. It was twisted around the harness, so I pulled it out to full length of about 6", electrical tape on the end per Tim, aimed it as straight up as possible and taped it in place with Gorilla tape.

It seems to work quite a bit better, but can't tell just how much until I get to a larger area.

Give blood....work on an Elise!

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
apexdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #175 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

Well, at least extending the range of your remote will always assure a fresh supply of blood !!
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #176 (permalink)

Okay, I'm getting ticked with the range now. It's been 2 years, and I been holding off this mod for too long. Even with a new battery, I'm pulling my hair out.

I plan to duct tape and wear gloves, but really, unless I'm missing something what are areas to be concerned of. I want to see if this mod is possible WITHOUT blood.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpforyou View Post
Okay, I'm getting ticked with the range now. It's been 2 years, and I been holding off this mod for too long. Even with a new battery, I'm pulling my hair out.

I plan to duct tape and wear gloves, but really, unless I'm missing something what are areas to be concerned of. I want to see if this mod is possible WITHOUT blood.
OK, as Nike says, "just do it". I did this as one of my first mods 2-3 years ago. I noticed the sharp edges immediately, covered them with duct tape and that was that. It's still a small hole to work in, but it wasn't bad. The whole process took 5 minutes and that included soldering a length of additional wire and taping that in place. And no bloody hands. Now the wire package in my car was right in front, came out easily and I had no sharp screws to sabotage me. But the result is worth it. I can now arm and disarm the alarm from a couple of cars away instead of having to be right at the door.

And if you get a few cuts, just consider it "personalizing" your car.

Steve
2009 Evo X
drstvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #178 (permalink)

I've attempted this mod on two different cars and have never managed to get any increased range. Maybe a foot or two but nothing noticable. Dunno what I do wrong when everyone else says it works great.
Brennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #179 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

get these !! hahahahha
Attached Images

Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #180 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Just completed added 20" of wire. No blood! works from across the street.
Thanks for posting pictures and info.
T.O.elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL