Why on Earth can I not use the key to Lock or Unlock the door? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Why on Earth can I not use the key to Lock or Unlock the door?

From what I understand, I have the option of not activating the alarm, and being able to activate the locks mechanically (with the key). When I insert my key into the door lock, it turns without any resistance, and nothing happens. The only way to activate my locks is with the key FOB. Im scared to death im going to get stranded somewhere with a dead FOB, or drained battery.

I work a schedule where im away from the house for a week at a time, and this car came supplied with an aftermarket battery. Its parked outside with no outlets. How can I assure that the battery remains charged without a tender? Can I de-activate the alarm with the key FOB, and just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery?

I ordered a solar powered tender, about to order an emergency touch key, and probably need to get a new FOB battery (not sure where to order this).

Any help as to why my keys wont unlock or lock my doors will be greatly appreciated.
MartyMcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Turn the key, and try pushing the button in.
smicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

If memory serves, the owner's manual states that the manual locking mechanism becomes inoperative if you use the electronic system to lock the doors!

Seems idiotic, but I have had it happen.
Noelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
From what I understand, I have the option of not activating the alarm, and being able to activate the locks mechanically (with the key). When I insert my key into the door lock, it turns without any resistance, and nothing happens. The only way to activate my locks is with the key FOB. Im scared to death im going to get stranded somewhere with a dead FOB, or drained battery.

I work a schedule where im away from the house for a week at a time, and this car came supplied with an aftermarket battery. Its parked outside with no outlets. How can I assure that the battery remains charged without a tender? Can I de-activate the alarm with the key FOB, and just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery?

I ordered a solar powered tender, about to order an emergency touch key, and probably need to get a new FOB battery (not sure where to order this).

Any help as to why my keys wont unlock or lock my doors will be greatly appreciated.
I believe the manual has the part # for the FOB battery, if not open the FOB, take it out and take it to a battery shop. It's just a small battery that can be bought anywhere.

Also read up on the process for resynching the FOB should you need to do so after putting in a new battery.

And I read in another thread that you bought an Exige. You are aware that the car battery can be jumped through terminals accessible under one of the front access panels, right? Unlike the Elise, where you need to get into the trunk.

And about the lock...you either lock them with the key, in which case the FOB will not unlock them, or with the FOB, in which case as you discovered the key will not function.
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special Light Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special #4380R Indigo Blue (my absolute favorite).
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red (used as development mule for the LETSLA)
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige S Canyon Red (first customer installation for the production LETSLA)
4380r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

My alarm goes off all the time because I park my Exige outside. A gust of wind or rain will activate the alarm. So I simply lock the doors with the key leaving the alarm off !
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

I think you may find that even though you feel no resistance and the door button does not go down (not supposed to), when you turn the key to the vertical position, the doors are locked, try to open them.
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks guys, ill get that fob battery ordered immediately.

Now let me reiteration, The key does absolutely nothing when locking the door is concerned. I can shut the car off, hop outside the car, close the door, try to lock my car with the key, and NOTHING. It does not lock the car, driver and passenger side. It just turns with NO resistance, like there's absolutely no guts inside the door locks.

I understand I cant unlock the door if I activate the locks with the FOB. I just want to be able to lock my car with the key, and unlock with the key. Any advice on why this isnt working and what to check for?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

There is absolutely no resistance when turning the key in the button when locking or unlocking the door. It will feel like there are no "guts". That is normal. The key does not make the lock knob inside the car move up/down. Think of the key as just deactivating the door button. The button will still push in, it just won't do anything when it is "locked".

Not to state the obvious, but you are actually trying to open the door after turning the key, right? Or are you just looking for the lock to go up/down? If you haven't already, turn the key so the slot is vertical and then push the door button to attempt to open the door.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
There is absolutely no resistance when turning the key in the button when locking or unlocking the door. It will feel like there are no "guts". That is normal. The key does not make the lock knob inside the car move up/down. Think of the key as just deactivating the door button. The button will still push in, it just won't do anything when it is "locked".

Not to state the obvious, but you are actually trying to open the door after turning the key, right? Or are you just looking for the lock to go up/down? If you haven't already, turn the key so the slot is vertical and then push the door button to attempt to open the door.
+1 for your explanation. It might be that one lock or the other could fail, but both locks failing in the exact same way would be a long shot indeed.
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special Light Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special #4380R Indigo Blue (my absolute favorite).
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red (used as development mule for the LETSLA)
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige S Canyon Red (first customer installation for the production LETSLA)
4380r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

The fob battery is a #CR 2032.. Here is a link to order a pack if you want or just go into any electronic store or Walmart and get some. $3.43 - 2032 x 20 pcs Cell Batteries - Batteries

Here is the link to copy the Cobra Alarm manual also:

Manual for the Alarm System

It looks like you own an Exige. Here is a link to the location of the jumping terminals that are located under the left front access panel. If your car battery goes dead you can jump it in order to get into the doors. Urgent: Exige is Locked, Battery Dead

Hope this helps.
2008 Nissan Xterra
chazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Man, I already love you guys!! SO HELPFUL!

Ok, now that I understand the lock button isnt supposed to go down, I finally figured out how to lock the doors with my KEYS! YES! THANKYOU THANKYOU!

Next question, when locking the car mechanically (with the keys), Im assuming the alarm is offline and isnt drawing current from the battery?

Thanks so much for the battery suggestion as well. Yes I do own an Exige. Also curious if my key FOB, model 7777, is the same as model 8186 that everyone is talking about.

Thanks so much guys! Yall are the Bees Knees.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Man, I already love you guys!! SO HELPFUL!

Ok, now that I understand the lock button isnt supposed to go down, I finally figured out how to lock the doors with my KEYS! YES! THANKYOU THANKYOU!

Next question, when locking the car mechanically (with the keys), Im assuming the alarm is offline and isnt drawing current from the battery?

Thanks so much for the battery suggestion as well. Yes I do own an Exige. Also curious if my key FOB, model 7777, is the same as model 8186 that everyone is talking about.

Thanks so much guys! Yall are the Bees Knees.
The alarm is always drawing current, however it is less in a disarmed state.
7777 is the number of the FOB that is used with the 8185/6 alarm.
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

And you'll be able to unlock the car with a key and use jumper cables if necessary.
DanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Shoot yeah, thanks Michael, get ahold of me when you get the emergency touch keys in. By the way, got ahold of the dealer today to get my PIN#. He said hed call me back in a few minutes, never heard back. Ahh gotta love dealerships

DanS, exactly!! This is what I wanted all along!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
The alarm is always drawing current, however it is less in a disarmed state.
7777 is the number of the FOB that is used with the 8185/6 alarm.
Michael
I have the passive immobilizer disarmed so as to have the alarm draw as little current as possible and I only lock / unlock the doors using the key. I do this as I have a Braile B2015 battery. So far it's worked well. But I rarely have it off the trickle charger. The most would be a Friday + Saturday overnight while at the track running all day Sat and Sun.
Frank Amoroso is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL