Battery Choices and Information - Page 11 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #201 (permalink)

I recently bought a 34/78 optima yellow top which would have mounted perfectly in place of the original battery but I wasn't liking the plastic hold down that the battery came with so I had a friend help me fabricate a metal one made from 1/4" angle iron. This is a slightly bigger battery than the d35 so the stock battery cover wont work unless I modify it.
Attached Images

jjselise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLotus View Post
EXT30L This is a Deka private label.
Michael
I have been using the ETX14 for a couple years. Paid about $70 locally. Its great for price and size. I do have to use a tender if its unused more then about 4 days. The lack of CCA just doesnt give it room for much.

Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #203 (permalink)

Thanks.

JJS, that looks like a nice simple solution. I might go with that. Thanks for the pictures. That's really helpfull.

Cheers guys.
Todka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #204 (permalink)

Interstate MT 26R for Elise

Seems like my battery finally died. But to be fair, it's partly my fault because I don't drive the Elise regularly.

Dealer suggests Interstate MT 26R. Is that a POS? Key issues for me are (1) making sure it fits and OEM bracket is good enough and (2) not having to drive the car every two days for fear of the battery discharging. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an electrical outlet so can't use a tender. Any suggestions? Optima Red Top?
Batimovil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #205 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batimovil View Post
Seems like my battery finally died. But to be fair, it's partly my fault because I don't drive the Elise regularly.

Dealer suggests Interstate MT 26R. Is that a POS? Key issues for me are (1) making sure it fits and OEM bracket is good enough and (2) not having to drive the car every two days for fear of the battery discharging. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an electrical outlet so can't use a tender. Any suggestions? Optima Red Top?
As it fits in the trunk an AGM, which does not leak or emit hydrogen gas is desirable. The only AGM that fits without modification is the Optima. My experiences are that they are not reliable. If you wish to fabricate a bracket there are many other options.
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
As it fits in the trunk an AGM, which does not leak or emit hydrogen gas is desirable. The only AGM that fits without modification is the Optima. My experiences are that they are not reliable. If you wish to fabricate a bracket there are many other options.
Michael
Not trying to pick a fight, but I do not completely agree with Michael on this one, as an Odyssey PC625 fits in the OEM bracket without modification.

It will let you go for about 5 days without a real worry...7 at most. But I think you are looking for a larger source, and if so then Michael is correct from what I have seen/read.
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
Giantmcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Michael
Thanks Michael, can you please elaborate on the reliability issue? And does this apply to both Red Top and Yellow Top? You know...$150+ for an unreliable battery would suck.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Not trying to pick a fight, but I do not completely agree with Michael on this one, as an Odyssey PC625 fits in the OEM bracket without modification.

It will let you go for about 5 days without a real worry...7 at most. But I think you are looking for a larger source, and if so then Michael is correct from what I have seen/read.
Thanks, but I do need a bit more than 5 days, I would say 10-12...that is key for me as I don't have an electrical outlet for a tender/maintainer.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #209 (permalink)

By the way, I'm trying to recharge my OEM Varta Blue...rather unsuccessfully. 26h on a Battery Tender Jr. Should I give up?
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #210 (permalink)

Here is my PC680 in my Elise SC:

You can also see the black switch at top of the mounting bracket to switch off the battery and the two wires are for a permanent charger (that I've never use).

Installed since september, no problems. Everytimes I stop the car I switch off the battery. For some reasons if I don't want to do that, the most I left the car closed with the alarm and the battery switch to "on" was three days and there was no problem to unlock and start it again.

I lose some weight on the back and achieve the main goal of that modification: I have really much room to put things. When not on track, I can go in hollyday for one week to ten days with my wife (and all women things that men don't need ...) and two bags, some tools and five pairs of shoes ...

Much more: I'm still able to put the roof here without problems in this "seven days hollydays" configuration !

Nothing with us in the cabin, everything on the back: perfect (and it's good because we don't have room behind our seats because of the sector111 v-shape harness bar) !

Last edited by dwarfy; 11-28-2012 at 04:23 AM.
dwarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #211 (permalink)

Just reporting back that the Optima 34/78 slotted in the Exige battery slot and bracket with zero issues.
It is significantly heavier then the OEM bettery, but it cranks the engine over like never before. Starts instantly. Very happy.

Cheers,
Todka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #212 (permalink)

Trying to find a replacement that will fit unmodified into an Evora. My Varta pos can't hold a charge and I'm hoping to find adequate CCA in a good replacement. Optima red top is too tall, needs to be no higher than 6 inches at the base of the battery posts, 7.5 inches overall height. Length 11.25 and width 6.9 inches max.

Interstate may be my only choice but hoping to find a better, sealed battery. Searched everything I can find.
ravencliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #213 (permalink)

Can anyone comment about Interstate brand batteries? My Elise came with the MT26R, and unless it was a really cold winter and it hasn't been started in over a month, it hasn't failed me...I recently picked up an Exige, which someone replaced that battery with a HUGE one and it's driving me crazy,I want to replace it with something smaller. Weight doesn't matter too much, I want a good reliable battery that will start when I need it to, sometimes after a few weeks of no driving. Dimensions are very close to oem, too...

Specs on the Interstate:

Specifications:
Product ID: MT-26R
Amps: 675
Cranking Amps: 675
Cold Cranking Amps: 540
Voltage: 12
Termination: A
Weight: 27.8
Width: 6.81
Length: 8.19
Height: 7.81
Plates: 24
VENTCAP: G
WET/DRY: Wet

What do you think?
'13 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
Shoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #214 (permalink)

When I bought a battery about a year ago, I was replacing an interstate. I wanted another, but the sales guy told me Interstate moved their production to Mexico and the quality dropped.

I FGI... "f'in googled it" and read that they ARE stamped with "made in Mexico".
lotus_dp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #216 (permalink)

Just got one of these and loving it so far. Waiting for my RLS 680 bracket to get here.

Specs:
16.3lbs
7.13x3.03x6.57inches
1000A
320 CA @32deg F
RC= 28min
REC charge amps = 6

Got it from Fastlane Parts Supply - FastLane Parts Supply
06 Exige BRG - BWR Rev2.0+, BOE Fastworks tune, Lotus Cup Airbox, Lotus Cup Wheels, Weapon-R Header, Saikou Michi Catch Cans, GB Composites CF fuel door, footrest and mudflaps, HKFEVER CF lip and interior parts, Stan's shifter reinforcement, Difflow Railer diffuser and Aeroplates, S111 Wheel spacers, Front S111 sportINSERT, FTP CF side scoops, Jim-Clayton tow hook, Larini SE exhaust, and DDM HID kit w Trevor's Dual ring LED driving lights.
Gorkoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #217 (permalink)

Dead 2005 OEM battery: dispose (properly), preserve, sell/donate?

Not meant as a thread-jack, but I searched through this thread as well as the parts forums. Am not sure whether this has been mentioned elsewhere, would appreciate being re-directed to related posts.

So ... what does one do with a dead 2005 OEM battery, other than eat it, shower with it, or sleep with it?

(A) Dispose properly?

(B) Preserve/keep/retain in some manner?

(C) Sell or donate? Who would want one?

Other?

'Dispose properly' seems like the right answer ...
But FWIW, am thinking that there's a meticulous owner out there wanting every last bit, and might appreciate a 2nd OEM battery (albeit a dead one).

Thank you.
05OrangeFederelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #218 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Most service facilities will take it.
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #219 (permalink)

Another option is you could try restoring it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #220 (permalink)

Any auto parts store should take it!

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Batteries, Brackets and Chargers