Battery Choices and Information - Page 15 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburastar View Post
Can you share more experiences? how many days it lasts and still able to effortlessly cranks and stars the car? experiencing any heat after/during driving (being charged by car's alternator)?

I read your other thread - some gentlemen commented it may lack of charging/discharging protection circuit and could either prematurely damage the battery or cause fire/explosion (via non-regulated charging from alternator or over discharging). I mean this Battery tender made Li-Iron battery is soooooo light and cheap (compares to those listed in this thread)... we ElIGE owners shall jump all over to grab one - if there is no concern of battery causing fire / explosion

Who can get a confirmation from Battery Tender that this series of battery can be used in 4-wheel autos?
I have had no problems, and I do not know how many starts it will take before failure since I do not let it go to that level as it will damage the battery. I have a cut off switch and I use it when I won't be using the car in a while. The "fire" concerns are from lithium ion, not lithium iron, which is why I tried to nip the misunderstanding at the bud, but obviously I was unsuccessful. Actually there are lotus users of liFePO4 batteries, and yes I am surprised there aren't more. Easy weight savings.

(Update) I just put the lifepo4-specific tender on just to check, and it says my battery condition went from flashing green to 100% in a few minutes, which means its healthy. Also the box specifically says 60% lighter than agm, no risk of leaks, no risk of fires with punctures.

2005 Magnetic Blue Elise, Factory twin oil coolers, Sport pack with LSS wheels with 6.5 fronts, and touring pack with matching hardtop and insulated soft top. OEM stage II exhaust, carbon fiber intake, HID's, 5.25 and 6.5 Polks with JL Stealthbox and Alpine PDX-5 amp, Sony DSX-S310BTX head unit with Bluetooth, sector111 bootie and aluminum carpet buttons, OEM embellisher rings, shower cap and outdoor cover, factory painted console and AC shroud, battery cut off switch, factory starshield.

Last edited by gooberschnot; 11-28-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 291 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:01 PM

I picked up a basic duracell battery from my local batteries plus, which seems to work ok, but it slides back & forth. The stops on the battery where it is held by the bracket are about an 2 inches longer than the length of the bracket, allowing it to move.

Does anyone have a list of batteries that the stock bracket will hold tight?

'07 Exige S
'14 Cayman
post #283 of 291 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:31 PM
glb

You mean it slides left to right? (Or back to front of battery)?

I'd just make a new bracket (riveted, welded), but uncertain as to what you mean.

My car has no left to right stops IIRC.

You could also move where the bolt fits into floor.

05 elise (PES chip, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #284 of 291 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
You mean it slides left to right? (Or back to front of battery)?

I'd just make a new bracket (riveted, welded), but uncertain as to what you mean.

My car has no left to right stops IIRC.

You could also move where the bolt fits into floor.
Front to back.

'07 Exige S
'14 Cayman
post #285 of 291 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 04:09 PM
glb

Ppl have moved where the bolt screws in. Also replaced the "nut" when something broke.

Don't remember that it is difficult.

Can you return that battery for refund?

If not, I'd weld up a better bracket (can be riveted).

A cheap guy would take a piece of wood, route out where the lip needs to go, add some velcro (to floor/wood/battery) and bolt it in. I am cheap, btw....

I bought, like others, a nice USA Deka AGM battery. I like it; bolted right in.

05 elise (PES chip, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #286 of 291 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM

I left my Lotus back home, moved away, and no one started it up like I'd asked (and no power to run the battery tender)

I'm going back for a week, and need to get a new battery delivered. (the current battery sat thru winter and has been dead for a few months... I'm assuming it can't be jumped and re-charged?)

Anyhow, I need a new battery, and I don't know the width/length to fit the brackets, which I assume are still factory.

Would this battery from Sears work?

If not, could someone please link a good agm battery that will fit w/o special brackets and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks.
post #287 of 291 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:49 AM

Full Spectrum Power Lithium Pulse 3 Battery

Has anybody run this on their 2ZZ? 375 cranking amps and 2.2 lbs!?

2005 Elise - built 10.5:1 2zz by MWR/Jeff Dalby (Deja Vu), Radium Auto bits, GTX2867R, BWR Penske Doubles, BWR Team Dynamics wheels...
post #288 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 06:34 PM

My Braille battery seems to have been deep cycled while sitting in service and it is dead.
I cannot seem to get my Ctek 4.3 to recharge it. The stickers came off, so I'm not sure which version it is.
I'll take some pictures so I can reorder a good one.

Unless once these are depleted so low they can be recharged back into good shape?
post #289 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:28 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
My Braille battery seems to have been deep cycled while sitting in service and it is dead.
I cannot seem to get my Ctek 4.3 to recharge it. The stickers came off, so I'm not sure which version it is.
I'll take some pictures so I can reorder a good one.

Unless once these are depleted so low they can be recharged back into good shape?
Braille is the same as Big Crank and Deka, except the Braille is 2+ times the cost. If you can't resuscitate the Braille I'd advise you buy the Big Crank or Deka. They're all made by East Penn in the USA.

For what's it's worth I've drained my Shorai completely several times and it still comes back to life. I honestly thought it was toast each time. Their customer service is outstanding, with them replacing an out of warranty battery for my ZX-10R at no charge. They even replaced the battery I sent back with the larger, more expensive battery.

San
Coyne likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #290 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Braille is the same as Big Crank and Deka, except the Braille is 2+ times the cost. If you can't resuscitate the Braille I'd advise you buy the Big Crank or Deka. They're all made by East Penn in the USA.

For what's it's worth I've drained my Shorai completely several times and it still comes back to life. I honestly thought it was toast each time. Their customer service is outstanding, with them replacing an out of warranty battery for my ZX-10R at no charge. They even replaced the battery I sent back with the larger, more expensive battery.

San

I'll have to find the relevant Deka/Big Crank that fit in my battery bracket then. Too many options of both.
I have a charger for the battery, but I don't think it can handle a battery this low. I'll have to see if anyone else has something I can use.
post #291 of 291 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 10:35 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
I'll have to find the relevant Deka/Big Crank that fit in my battery bracket then. Too many options of both.
I have a charger for the battery, but I don't think it can handle a battery this low. I'll have to see if anyone else has something I can use.
I used a Deka ETX18L and ETX20L in my C6 Corvette. You can just use the number and find the same battery under a lot of different names. Chances are you can pick it up locally. Examples:

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...ry/350084_0_0/

Super Start Extreme Power Sport AGM ETX18L - Power Sport AGM Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

San
Coyne likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Batteries, Brackets and Chargers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.