Battery Cover Question for 2008 Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Battery Cover Question for 2008 Elise

I was hooking up my BatteryMinder and noticed that the plastic battery cover has a couple of slots in it that are maybe supposed to hold stuff. Since I bought mine slightly used, accessories weren't where they would be from the factory, Does the owner's manual go into one of these slots and what would the other be for?

Also is the cigar/accessory socket between the seats, live with the key off? It would be easier for me to plug the BatteryMinder in there but it doesn't "seem" alive with the key off?

Thanks
Jeep JK
1955 T-Bird
1947 MG TC
tennistom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

The top slot is meant for the handbook and the side one for the tool pouch.
The 12V outlet is always live. The Battery Minder comes with pigtails that you can connect to the battery. I drilled a small hole in the cover for the pigtails to be accessible and then plugged the Battery Minder in. Some others here have take the pigtails through to the drivers side rear side vent and plugged in there.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom View Post
I was hooking up my BatteryMinder and noticed that the plastic battery cover has a couple of slots in it that are maybe supposed to hold stuff. Since I bought mine slightly used, accessories weren't where they would be from the factory, Does the owner's manual go into one of these slots and what would the other be for?

Also is the cigar/accessory socket between the seats, live with the key off? It would be easier for me to plug the BatteryMinder in there but it doesn't "seem" alive with the key off?

Thanks
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom View Post
The owners manual/book goes into the top slot. The side (rear) slot is meant to hole the tool kit.

Quote:
The cigar lighter is "hot" all the time. Many people plug in their BatteryMINDer/Battery Tender using the cigar plug (note that it's the "European style" and is slightly larger in diameter than the standard US size - but I have heard of problems with the battery maintainers). I used the "pigtail" that comes with the Battery Minder - complete with the in-line fuse - to connect my Battery MINDer to the battery - I just leave the rear boot "ajar" when parked in the garage and plug it in.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I bought the BatteryMinder #12117 and their 12v AC outlet adapter only to find that the adapter was not compatible with the tender (from the manufacturer's website). I contacted BatteryMinder and their tech support told me that I simply needed a smaller fuse in the adapter. Followed the LT thread to swap out the Euro outlet.

I use an outlet in the ceiling at the garage door opener (near the driver's door of the car) to plug in the tender and run the tender cable through the open driver's window. I'm very pleased with the setup and it works well.
Chitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the fast responses gentlemen, I've got the BatteryMinder plugged into the cigar socket and it seems to be a go, the green and red lights are on. I attached the cigar adapter from a BatteryTender to it and it seems to stay in the hole a little tighter than BM's.

I contacted BM about the cig adapter popping out and the tech I talked with wasn't aware of the issue. The cig adapter pops out in a few other vehicles I tried it in, like a 1941 Ford Woody and a Viper--oh why can't anything be easy? I have a small stable of vehicles, so it's just easier, when I'm on the road, to tell my "handyman/artist" to pop it into the cigar lighter than to figure out where the battery is.

Thanks for introducing me to the wonderful world of battery sulfation. Is there anything more frustrating than to have a nice sunny day and want to jump into your baby topless, press the "start" button and she be dead?
Jeep JK
1955 T-Bird
1947 MG TC
Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just an FYI - Battery Tender also sells an "extension cord" that works with the Battery MINDer too. It adds a 20 ft (or is it 25 ft?) of cord between the charger cord and the connector that you plug into on the car.

My charger is plugged in at the front of my garage, and the extension cord runs along the roof and dangles down near the rear where it's easy to pull down and plug it in...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, it looks like they're 25 feet. Deltran, maker of Battery Tender has then for about $15 and also in 4 packs. I'll give 'em a try.

I recall some plastic sleeves fitting over the cigar lighter plug making them fit tighter. They allowed for the difference between the US and Euro spec receptacles. I think my old Motorola cell phone cigar adapters came with these, I'll see if I can dig one up and if it works.

Thanks again Tim
Jeep JK
1955 T-Bird
1947 MG TC

Last edited by tennistom; 04-11-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Battery Minder vs Battery Tender/Plus which is better?! Any pros or cons to either of the two???
12OUTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

The Battery Minder Plus has a desulfate mode that the Battery Tender Plus does not.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...rmation-64071/
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12OUTRN View Post
Battery Minder vs Battery Tender/Plus which is better?! Any pros or cons to either of the two???
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! Purchased the Battery Minder...
12OUTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Batteries, Brackets and Chargers