Where to buy a Battery? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Where to buy a Battery?

I know this may be a re-hash of some previous posts but, I need a Battery for my very early 2005 Lotus Elise. I have the black OEM Battery. After checking every auto parts store in town--I live in Los Angeles--so you can just imagine how many stores this can be, I have had no luck. The best question of the day is who makes the Lotus. I heard that about ten times.

A group 26R is close but, the posts sit about 1 inch too high. Maybe the Battery Box will fit if I can lift it up when I put it back in.

Sometimes money is no object, so I went into Galpin Lotus to see if I could purchase an OEM Battery. No luck, they sell an Interstate 26R--even though the cars upstairs had an Excide Battery with the correct dimensions. They are checking with Lotus to see what Battery is correct.

People ask me if it is hard to get parts for my 1930 Ford Model A. I usually respond that it is harder to get parts for a modern car.

LPM

2005 Ardent Red Lotus Elise
lpmnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mulholland>SCC

Did you check out the Battery thread? Scroll down to the bottom of the first post for the battery choices. Optima's are readily available. Some of the others may be too, not sure.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...rmation-64071/
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just last month I researched and then purchased an Optima red Top from Sam's club. It was OPT "SC34U" as shown on the sales receipt. Similar to the Optima red top 75/25.. It came to $139.77 and then the $9.00 core charge + tax. I was noticing that they had an Energizer 26R size black battery there also. It was a 96 month 525 CCA 630 CA. Price was $59.86 and then a $9.00 core charge. That should be really close to the same size as the OEM Delco that came in the car.

I installed the Optima in the OEM bracket that slides in tight and had to trim the plastic battery cover off on the side that is closest to the engine. I scored it and then cut it the rest of the way off. It slides on ok just a little tight though. My advice is to research an Optima and measure your OEM Battery and then measure the Optima while at the store. That's what I did and it's great now.
2008 Nissan Xterra
chazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lotus themselves have gone through a few different batteries.

26R is the correct battery (that's the size of the stock battery I believe), it's just that some are slightly taller than others as you point out. I also live in LA and have bought a few different batteries after leaving the car dead from Autozone. Pretty much all of them will fit if you don't care about the battery cover. If you do care about the cover, some of them will fit by slipping the battery cover over first with the connected battery, sliding the batter + cover into place, and then securing the bracket.

I would visit the battery thread and consider going with an AGM, especially if you drive the car often.
Vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

I found that Advance Auto Parts would match the best price I found on the internet.
Michael
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Where America Shops muchachos!

Sears & Roebucks.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

New battery

If you're going to replace the OEM battery, why not save some weight at the same time?

I'm going with an AGM battery, the DEKA ETX14.

Found it at DC Power Online for $81, including FREE shipping.

Web site: DC Power Online - sealed lead acid battery, maglite flashlight, maglite accessories, industrial battery chargers, battery chargers, battery safety equipment, ups batteries, motorcycle batteries, marine batteries, scrubber batteries, replacement batte)

This one is listed on the Battery sticky.

Regards,
Wayne
'05 Elise Magnetic Blue, Black, Touring, Hard Top, Star Shield, Stage II Exhaust, Arqray decat pipe, S2 Front Splitter (UK), Sector 111 Rear Tow Hook, Driving Lights, Cup Airbox, Shift-I System, LSS Dampers & Springs, Sector 111 V-Bar, Schroth Profi II 5 point harness, Exige S Probax seats, 1/4 turn undertray screws, Stealth bulbs, BWR SC with PES tune, Innovative engine mounts, SS brake lines.
waydui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

063 Battery

Well folks, I found out that the 063 Battery that are cars came with really does exsist but, only on the other side of the pond. Now it seems like there might be no way to get one in the great USA.

Group 26r is close but, about 25mm (1 inch) taller. The Odyssey PC 1200 is close in size but, a little bit pricey and maybe 10lb. heavier.

I will make my final Battery choice this week because I have been too long without driving the Lotus. I am leaning towards the Bosch 26R from Pep Boys. It looks like it is only 18.75mm (3/4 inch) taller than the stock battery.

Battery choice is based on what fits and not on how long a car sits and if you are willing to keep it on a battery tender if needed.

If you are not Driving your Lotus--Why have it or disconnect your Battery if the weather keeps you home.

LPM
Old 03-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

The extra height shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just slip the battery cover over it after attaching the cables, but before sliding it into place. You should be able to lift the battery cover up just enough to tighten the bracket.

I've had batteries that were too tall to even install the way I mention about, so for those I simply ditched the battery cover.
Vantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Take the opportunity to get an AGM battery that can't leak. The Optima 35 or 75/25 fits, I have it.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmnorth View Post
Well folks, I found out that the 063 Battery that are cars came with really does exsist but, only on the other side of the pond. Now it seems like there might be no way to get one in the great USA.

Group 26r is close but, about 25mm (1 inch) taller. The Odyssey PC 1200 is close in size but, a little bit pricey and maybe 10lb. heavier.

I will make my final Battery choice this week because I have been too long without driving the Lotus. I am leaning towards the Bosch 26R from Pep Boys. It looks like it is only 18.75mm (3/4 inch) taller than the stock battery.

Battery choice is based on what fits and not on how long a car sits and if you are willing to keep it on a battery tender if needed.

If you are not Driving your Lotus--Why have it or disconnect your Battery if the weather keeps you home.

LPM
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Talking It Fit

The Bosch 26R fit like a glove. It's a little taller than the stock Battery but, not as tall as most 26R's. The stock Battery weighed in at 25.4 lbs. and the new Battery was an even 33 lbs.
Now I have to loose 7.6 lbs.

After putting in the Battery, the radio started to play. Maybe this is what started this journey in the first place. When you turn off the car the radio continues to play until you pull out the key. Maybe that little switch in the ignition got stuck in the on position. From now on, I think I will shut the radio when I turn off the car.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
LPM
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

That's the way it is supposed to be.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmnorth View Post
When you turn off the car the radio continues to play until you pull out the key. Maybe that little switch in the ignition got stuck in the on position. From now on, I think I will shut the radio when I turn off the car.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

What sort or bracket or adapter is needed for the Deka AGm battery?
dukenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

I just got the Odyssey pc680 / bracket from Really Light Stuff

( TODAY ) as a matter of fact. 2 days. Fast shipping !
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "

Last edited by kestrel74; 04-23-2010 at 07:46 AM.
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

I just ordered (Amazon) an Optima Red Top 75/25. My stock Exide battery doesn't last more than a few days anymore. I'm not too worried about weight. Just want something that allows me to park the car for a couple weeks without a tender. I don't have an outlet near my car when it's parked.

I'm going to see if I can jump start it tomorrow using the points under the access panel.

EDIT: I ordered the Yellow Top D75/25 cause it might allow me to go longer without starting.

Last edited by SirLotus; 05-06-2010 at 04:01 AM.
d-onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

The Yellow top is a true "deep cycle" battery which means it an be discharged many times and will fully recover. It has less CCA thn the Red Top but that is not a problem. One tip for installation is to trim the back right lip on the battery cover in order for it to fit easier.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-onion View Post
I just ordered (Amazon) an Optima Red Top 75/25. My stock Exide battery doesn't last more than a few days anymore. I'm not too worried about weight. Just want something that allows me to park the car for a couple weeks without a tender. I don't have an outlet near my car when it's parked.

I'm going to see if I can jump start it tomorrow using the points under the access panel.

EDIT: I ordered the Yellow Top D75/25 cause it might allow me to go longer without starting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Batteries, Brackets and Chargers