Headlights turn-off when starting car? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Headlights turn-off when starting car?

This little portion is taken from the "crapped out battery thread" . . .

I have a new Odyssey PC680 that I just installed two weeks ago. The car starts and runs fine so the battery has a charge. But if I start the car with the headlights on or if I stall it and then I go to re-fire the car the head lights turn off and I have to physically turn them back on before continuing. You don't realize it as much in the day time but at night its more than obvious because the dash is completely dark. I was like WTF just happened. Does anyone else have a similar issue? Could I have hooked something up wrong when I installed the battery like a ground? I'd appreciate if another Odyssey owner could chime in.

Thanks

My racing prediction for '09 . . . the Japanese guy on the Italian bike and the Italian guy on the Japanese bike.
mark.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2008, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

My first thought is that the headlight relays are being de-energized because of the starting current pull, obviously, this should not happen. Connect another battery, even with jumper cables, and see if the lights go out.
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
My first thought is that the headlight relays are being de-energized because of the starting current pull, obviously, this should not happen.
Uhhhhhh, Ok. But what would have caused that by simply putting in a new battery. Only thing I an tell you is that I do have a extra ground running to the negative post of my battery which is run off the intercooler fan. But that should cause a problem since that kicks on as soon as the ignition/fuel pump turns on.

My racing prediction for '09 . . . the Japanese guy on the Italian bike and the Italian guy on the Japanese bike.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

The first, most obvious and easiest thing to do is check the battery....strange things electrically, can happen on this car. When trouble shooting, I learned the hard way, start with the easiest first.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
The first, most obvious and easiest thing to do is check the battery....strange things electrically, can happen on this car. When trouble shooting, I learned the hard way, start with the easiest first.
I guess your are right. This battery is new which is why I am tripping.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Let us know what your results are and we can go from there.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

What do you thing about a loose negative terminal bolt. I stopped by the battery shop on the way home to have the guy test the PC680. It check out 100% across the board. We found that the ground was a bit loose and from what I can tell now thing are working correctly. I can turn the lights on with the ignition off and then start the car and the lights will stay on. Dumb!!!!

This still doesn't address why the car will pause while when turning over sometimes. It still does this with the new and old battery. That has got to be ECU/wiring related. I need to run that question by DRS. Thanks Viper.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

I am glad you resolved one of the problems at least. That loose ground could have prevented complete charging of the battery. Once it is fully charged see if it turns the engine over normally.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I am glad you resolved one of the problems at least. That loose ground could have prevented complete charging of the battery. Once it is fully charged see if it turns the engine over normally.
I will. It's on the battery tender now because I waiting for a new AF sensor so I won't drive it until this weekend. It should be fully charged next time a drive it though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Lighting