Now available: Complete Elise HID kits - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Now available: Complete Elise/Exige HID kits

Hi everyone,

Included in the kit is everything you need to install a 100% reversible HID kit--there is no cutting of any wires. I've always hated stripping insulation off of factory wiring only to have to solder in a splice. The connection ends up being hard (from the solder) and just ugly with black electrical tape covering the joint which will get gooey with age.

Included in the kit for 2005 - 2006 MY cars:
- 2 H1 based HID bulbs (Philips burners)

Included in the kit for 2007 cars:
- 2 H7 based HID bulbs (Philips burners)

Common between both kits
- 2 ballasts/ignitors (single unit vs. separate ballast and ignitor)
- 2 custom wire harnesses to provide power to the ballast
- 4 expanding rivets to secure ballast in place
- Installation instructions

Tools you'll need (for 2005 - 2006 MY cars; 2007 should be simpler):
- The factory wheel bolt tool (for those who are using the factory splined lug bolts)
- a 17mm socket and breaker bar to remove the lug bolts
- a phillips screwdriver
- a 5mm allen wrench or socket
- a 1/4" drill bit and drill
- a pair of needle nose pliers

Pricing is as follows:
Apexcone 50Watt Kit (Philips burners): $415

Warranty:
Lifetime warranty on all parts: bulbs, ballasts, harness

Color Temperature:
- 4500K (43% of orders - white) ....heavily stocked
- 5000K (3% of orders - white w/ very light hint of blue) ....lightly stocked
- 6000K (43% of orders - white w/ more prominent blue to match OEM HIDs) ...heavily stocked
- 8000K (11% of orders - no doubt about it that it's blue) ...lightly stocked

Other configurations are available (e.g. HID high and low beam)...contact me for details. Do note that it's not good to cycle HIDs too frequently as this shortens life so the HID high beam option should be for those who cruise at night and need the extra visibility and not those who like to flash people to move out of the way

$10 shipping via UPS.

Instructions-
http://www.elisetalk.com/gallery/mis...oadfile&i=1383

Thanks,
Chester
Attached Images

Last edited by ekological; 06-10-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
TTP

Chester,

Are you drilling into the crash structure to mount the ballast? How do we place and order? Paypal ok?

-Trieu

Last edited by TTP; 10-02-2005 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTP
Are you drilling into the crash structure to mount the ballast? How do we place and order? Paypal ok?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the area shaded in blue is where I would recommend you attaching the ballast. It's not the crash structure as that is the part that's underneath. The part that I've drilled into is a shroud that directs air up through the radiator and also prevents rain from splashing all over. I've tried double sided tape unsuccessfully (the cornering forces had something to say about this!) and tried to fabricate a bracket, but that added complexity and wasn't very sturdy. In the end, I just drilled two or three 1/4" holes per side and used expanding plastic rivets (included in the kit) to fix the ballast in place. Once the rivets are secured, you get a sense of, "that ain't going anywhere"

As for ordering, PM or e-mail me and we'll take this offline. For the first few batches, I will be adopting the just in time delivery method so I don't have a kit of each flavor on hand ready to go (I don't even know which kit will end up being the popular one). I will also try to batch the orders such that I place an order for say five kits at a time to save on shipping costs. I would anticipate a 2 week turnaround time.

Thanks,
Chester
Attached Images

post #4 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else interested? Any questions?
post #5 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Dude, you know I'm in (I PM'd)...

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - davidtstewart@gmail.com
2005 Graphite Grey Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
410hp 1641lbs. 11.477 @ 123.59 mph
post #6 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:25 AM

I am, but I'm broke.

05 Elise Racing Green/Red, Touring, Hardtop, StarShield
post #7 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

I found out the available Xtec color temps as well as the lumen output.

<table border = 1><tr><td>Color Temp</td><td>35 watt Lumens</td><td>50 watt Lumens</td></tr><tr><td>3000K</td><td>3200</td><td>4000</td></tr><tr><td>4500K</td><td>3400</td><td>4200</td></tr><tr><td>5000K</td><td>3300</td><td>4100</td></tr><tr><td>6000K</td><td>3200</td><td>4000</td></tr><tr><td>8000K</td><td>3100</td><td>3900</td></tr></table>

Last edited by ekological; 10-04-2005 at 01:40 PM.
post #8 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:13 PM

Do you recall what the lumen output and color temperature of the stock bulbs are? They did seem to improve with the later builds. Also, it appears that you use the stock headlight wiring for power, even though there is a surge current at turn-on. I would expect that the surge is short lived enough for the 35 Watt bulbs, but I wonder about the 50 Watt (takes longer for the current transient to get down to below the slow-blow fuse rating). Have you tested with the 50 Watt for many on-off cycles?
post #9 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:17 PM

chester, what's the warranty on this setup - bulbs and ballast?

It's Delux son, Delux. It's not that hard.

http://itsdeluxson.com/
post #10 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH
Do you recall what the lumen output and color temperature of the stock bulbs are? They did seem to improve with the later builds. Also, it appears that you use the stock headlight wiring for power, even though there is a surge current at turn-on. I would expect that the surge is short lived enough for the 35 Watt bulbs, but I wonder about the 50 Watt (takes longer for the current transient to get down to below the slow-blow fuse rating). Have you tested with the 50 Watt for many on-off cycles?
If, by stock, you mean the halogen bulbs, I'm not sure. When I modified my M3's ellipsoids to have HID bulbs, I took the car to get aimed. There was a Ford SUV in front on the queue and the aiming machine measured the lumen output which came out to somewhere between 1500 - 1900 or so. When my M3 was up, the output was around 3100.

As for the surge associated with a 50Watt setup, I cannot comment. I'm not sure if the surge would be the same since you're just striking the arc and then the current draw diminishes. I don't have the equipment to test for this so if perhaps someone on the board has the capability, let me know and I'll send you over a kit to test. GroundLoop?

I'll take a closer look at the electricals this weekend to see if I can offer something that uses relays and a new tap off of the electrical system. However, as it stands, I've had the Elise for quite a few months and didn't uprate the stock fuse and haven't had any issues. The same can't be said for the horn fuse after upgrading to Hella Duotones

HTH

Last edited by ekological; 10-06-2005 at 09:10 AM.
post #11 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedy1
chester, what's the warranty on this setup - bulbs and ballast?
The complete kit has a lifetime warranty. If the bulbs burn out, send me back the original burnt ones and I'll send you a replacement. If a ballast dies, you get a new one too.

Last edited by ekological; 11-02-2006 at 07:54 PM.
post #12 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 02:44 PM
TTP

I'm in. I just need some more info regarding 35w vs 50w to arrive at a decsion.
post #13 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:03 PM

I'm interested as well, but would like to know more about the differences between the Xtec and Philips products, (ballast size, shape, bulb differences if any) and the unanswered issue about current surge.

Thanks

'05 Elise, Nightfall/Touring (1TON 1G)
'94 BMW 325iS
'67 Austin Healey 3000
post #14 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I just found out that the surge is 70 Watts regardless of 35Watt or 50Watt ballasts, which confirms my original thinking that it's simply striking the arc. Of course, I have a few kits on the way and will send one out to someone who can measure and graph the power usage.

Chester
post #15 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
TTP

So is the issue with a higher wattage system power consumption or with the stock wiring, if it can support it? What are the implications?
post #16 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

If what was said about the surge being the same for either kit, then there really are no implications. The stock wiring can support at least 50 watts since that's the wattage of the stock bulbs. If the spike is really short (and I think it is), then it wouldn't be enough to worry about. Again, I'll send it to someone to test but I haven't had any issues with running the 35 watt setup in my Elise. Of course, I went to drive the car tonight (gotta pack in the miles while it's still somewhat nice out) and the battery (Odyssey 640) was not strong enough to turn over the engine
post #17 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
I am, but I'm broke.
Same here. My car budget is running pretty thin - I need seasonal tires and a hardtop for winter Maybe in the spring.
post #18 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudson
Same here. My car budget is running pretty thin - I need seasonal tires and a hardtop for winter Maybe in the spring.
Ironically enough, just minutes after posting that I went out for smokes and had to pull over to check that my lights were working correctly, the visibility was so bad. New lights have moved up my list, but sadly are still not in the top five...this car is more demanding on the wallet than having a girlfriend.
post #19 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:27 PM

For those of you who have bought the kits, what do you think?

Thanks,
Pasquale
post #20 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Welp, everyone who wanted the HID kit wanted the 50Watt kit. It turns out that Xtec was having issues with meeting the demand of the kit and they also had quality control issues with the ballasts. I was told that they switched to a different epoxy that shrank when it cured and, in doing so, pulled circuits off the boards. Not good. They seemed to have the issues ironed out and the 50Watt kits are on their way to me. YAY! David (DarkSol), who ordered a kit and has been extremely patient with me will be getting his kit ASAP (nice writeup on the multivex mirror, btw!) and he should be able to provide feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.