Elise Shifter Recall - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Elise Shifter Recall

Hi all -

Prompted by the recent thread on (more) broken shifters, I did a little digging and found:

NHTSA Campaign ID: 05V571000
Component: Power Train: Manual Transmission
Manufacturer: Lotus Cars Of America Inc.
Year: 2005
Make: Lotus
Model: Elise
Recall Date: 12/21/2005
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,740

Defect Summary:

On certain passenger vehicles equipped with 6-speed manual transmissions, the gear lever may break.

Consequence Summary:

This could result in the inability to change gears, increasing the risk of a crash.

Corrective Summary:

Dealers will replace the gear levers. The recall is expected to begin in January or February 2006. Owners may contact Lotus Cars USA at 1-678-417-9073.

I posted this tonight on the thread "It finally happened - broken gearshift!" and Jared (JnC) suggested its importance warranted its own thread, so here 'tis. HTH.

Best regards,
Bob

Life is full of compromises. The garage shouldn't be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:06 PM
-

Much more information is available here:

http://199.79.180.162/prepos/files/A...5V571-7202.PDF

http://199.79.180.162/prepos/files/A...5V571-1011.PDF

Included are things like procedures to fix, affected cars (= ALL with the hexagonal cross section shift lever), diagrams / service procedures and Lotus and NHTSA contacts and admin info and other things.

Build Dates: April 8, 2004 through February 3rd, 2005

Vin range: SCCPC11155HL30002 - SCCPC11105HL32482

But also see page 9 of the second PDF...US cars with a vin prior to 2415 are affected. The main thing to note is that if you have a hex shaped shift lever you are affected. You will get the later round cross section shifter. If your car came with the round shifter, you are already all set and are not affected by the recall. You can feel the shift lever shaft through the leather shift boot to determine if you have a hex or round shifter. The hexagonal cross section levers that break have the same approximate shape and cross section as a pencil.

The fix is a new round lever such as is used on the post February 3, 2005 cars. It takes 1/2 hour to swap out. Technical Service Bulletin (TSB): 2006 / 1R a draft of which is at the end of the 2nd PDF above. The install is similar to what some of you have done for the B&M shift lever. Not sure what impact having a B&M in your car may or may not have as far as the recall goes.

I had my car repaired under warranty over the Summer after the lever had failed. At that time the entire shift console and shift cables and e-brake cable had to be replaced. Now what will happen is the plastic console cover gets removed and the old lever and new lever are exchanged. The console frame and other bits are not swapped out. Shift geometry and travel are unaffected but the heavier round cross-section lever has more inertia to it which I think subjectively helps the shift feel. I prefer the round lever to the hexagonal lever.

If you have not done it already....add the bolt or stud I suggested back in September 2004 to firm up the shift console frame. AKA the stan-stud. Various thread or posts mention this tweak.

I noticed that Lotus states that failure can occur without warning. And that they claim that "high handling force" is a factor. That I disagree with as there is a metal fatigue issue, which requires cycles and not necessarily excess force. I can say this with confidence after examining the failure of my shift lever, whose point of fracture was photographed. It showed classic signs of gradual and progressive metal fatigue.
Attached Images

Last edited by Stan; 01-12-2006 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13028 post 49 from the Lotus CEO, mention a fix was in the works.

post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the post.
Larry can you sticky this?
Thanks.
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 AM

It's about friggin time!!

They can put the new design in my car. I really, really look forward to that.

Hey, filing a complaint really DID work! I'l be damned...

Jer
2006 Elise
2002 Ford Excursion DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1994 Miata street car
1996 Miata race car, 1991 BMW race car
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:29 AM

Thanks for sticky!
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:38 AM

This is an official announcement that there is now an official recall to the stated VIN range, and that by calling your dealer, you will have your shifter replaced free of charge.

Is this a correct statement?

--
Find me in the fields of Elysium.
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:29 AM

More or less - actually, if it works like other recalls, I believe they will be sending out postcards to Elise owners in the affected VIN range, telling them to contact their dealers for scheduling the replacement. The replacement should be done for free, and has no warranty period.

However, you don't need to have the postcard to get it replaced.

FWIW, if you call today, the dealer may not yet have the appropriate kit: "The recall is expected to begin in January or February 2006."

ed

Magnetic Blue/LSS Delivered: 1/13/05
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHahn
FWIW, if you call today, the dealer may not yet have the appropriate kit: "The recall is expected to begin in January or February 2006."
I think that's a misprint. I think it was supposed to read "Fall 2003".
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 PM

'05 Lotus Elise: RAC Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #11 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Having the intent to replace is one thing.......supplying the parts to the dealers, is another. The dealers were in short supply before. Hopefully, we'll get one before they break.

I'm surprised that Lotus didn't have the integrity to voluntarily issue the recall without the NHTSA getting involved. Oh well! A very sincere "thank you" to all who filed a complaint to the NHTSA.

Owner of '05 Elise S/T- touring- LSS-Stage 2
'07 Audi RS4 4.2L V-8 420 HP - 6 Sp..(sold)
'07 Toyota Prius (sold)
'10 Toyota Tundra
'08 Ducati Multistrada

Last edited by pianomaniac; 01-13-2006 at 01:11 PM.
post #12 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:59 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomaniac
I'm surprised that Lotus didn't have the integrity to voluntarily issue the recall without the NHTSA getting involved.
Is that the case, though? Reading the NHTSA docs, I'm under the impression that it was initiated by Lotus, that it's routine for the manufacturer to notify the NHTSA of any safety related recall, and that THAT's what those documents were.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #13 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomaniac
I'm surprised that Lotus didn't have the integrity to voluntarily issue the recall without the NHTSA getting involved.
What exactly makes you think that?

From the date on the letters, it appears that Lotus notified the NHTSA that there was a problem and that they were about to issue a recall to correct the problem. Then NHTSA issued the notice.

Without other information, it appears that Lotus did "have the integrity to voluntarily issue the recall".

I'm sure that there are lots of other legal requirements that are going on that we are not aware of (there's probably a requirement that the parts must be available and in stock prior to the recall, etc.)...

Here's an exerpt for Lotus' memo:
Attached Images

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White

Last edited by TimMullen; 01-13-2006 at 02:05 PM.
post #14 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM

What makes me think that.

We owners have been complaining about this for more than a year. Seems that it would have been cheaper to simply correct the defect on first service, but I'm assuming.....it appears to me that they were forced by the NHTSA....but I may be wrong.

When I last asked a dealer, they had little shifter stock as of last week and what they did have was to be issued to press cars first and customers last. Makes me think that they weren't (aren't) too interested in correcting this problem but again, I'm only basing this on the information and perception that I acquire.

Owner of '05 Elise S/T- touring- LSS-Stage 2
'07 Audi RS4 4.2L V-8 420 HP - 6 Sp..(sold)
'07 Toyota Prius (sold)
'10 Toyota Tundra
'08 Ducati Multistrada
post #15 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:51 PM

Or it could be that Lotus had to determine the actual problem, correct it in production. Make sure that it worked. Determine exactly how many cars needed fixing. Document that information. Manufacture the replacement parts. Get the parts shipping. File all the proper paper work with all the appropriate government agencies (on both sides of the Atlantic). Make sure all other legal requirements have been considered and taken care of. Then start the actual process of replacing the shifters.

Believe it or not, such things actually do take time. Even if they had wanted to swap them as soon as it was actually figured out that there really was a problem, things take time.

At least they are taking care of the problem.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #16 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 PM

I'm just happy they're getting fixed. Good for Lotus for doing the right thing. Better late than never.

Jer
2006 Elise
2002 Ford Excursion DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1994 Miata street car
1996 Miata race car, 1991 BMW race car
post #17 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:14 PM

YEE HAW

Jim
post #18 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
Build Dates: April 8, 2004 through February 3rd, 2005

Vin range: SCCPC11155HL30002 - SCCPC11105HL32482

But also see page 9 of the second PDF...US cars with a vin prior to 2415 are affected.

So to clarify, it's the last 4 digits of the VIN that tell you if you're in the recall group?
I guess the next question is - until the fix is made - to drive (with "high handling force") or not to drive??
post #19 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM

I am SO GLAD that Sector 111 was out of the B & M shifters when I tried to buy one yesterday...
post #20 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Lise
So to clarify, it's the last 4 digits of the VIN that tell you if you're in the recall group? I guess the next question is - until the fix is made - to drive (with "high handling force") or not to drive??
Not exactly...it's whether you have a shift lever with a hexagonal shaft or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.