Elise Shifter Recall - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:29 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Lise
I guess the next question is - until the fix is made - to drive (with "high handling force") or not to drive??
It should be OK to drive, just take it easy on the shift lever, don't force it if it doesn't want to go in easy. As Stan said, it does appear to be a fatigue issue. However, fatigue is dependent on the stress - the greater the stress, the fewer the cycles before it breaks. Keep the stress below some certain level, and it'll never break.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
It should be OK to drive, just take it easy on the shift lever, don't force it if it doesn't want to go in easy. As Stan said, it does appear to be a fatigue issue. However, fatigue is dependent on the stress - the greater the stress, the fewer the cycles before it breaks. Keep the stress below some certain level, and it'll never break.
The early hex design is loaded with stress risers. All of the breaks I have observed on them initiated on the surface, right at one of the corners of the hex. Combine this with the poor surface finish, plating, nearby bend to the right (and tooling marks from the bending), iffy-variable weld (brittle metal + cross section reduction), near total rigidity of the lower part of the lever compared to the upper, etc and it's easy to see why the thing has to fail where and how it does. The part sees fully reversed cyclical loading of variable amounts which tends to be worst case..worse than cycles at identical loading or in just one direction for example. And it is all concentrated right at the weakest part of the shaft as installed.

The new lever with it's better surface finish, round cross-section (spreads the stress out), better alloy, and larger diameter should be basically bulletproof by comparison. An added benefit is that it's greater weight improves the nature of the shift, subjectively. Same concept as a heavier shift knob.
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
Or it could be that Lotus had to determine the actual problem, correct it in production. Make sure that it worked. Determine exactly how many cars needed fixing. Document that information. Manufacture the replacement parts. Get the parts shipping. File all the proper paper work with all the appropriate government agencies (on both sides of the Atlantic). Make sure all other legal requirements have been considered and taken care of. Then start the actual process of replacing the shifters.

Believe it or not, such things actually do take time. Even if they had wanted to swap them as soon as it was actually figured out that there really was a problem, things take time.

At least they are taking care of the problem.
You may very well be correct in your assumptions, but I would assume that if Lotus would have initiated the recall, I doubt that the gov. agencies would need be involved.

Owner of '05 Elise S/T- touring- LSS-Stage 2
'07 Audi RS4 4.2L V-8 420 HP - 6 Sp..(sold)
'07 Toyota Prius (sold)
'10 Toyota Tundra
'08 Ducati Multistrada

post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool
I am SO GLAD that Sector 111 was out of the B & M shifters when I tried to buy one yesterday...
That's because I got the last one. I knew this would happen as soon as I ordered one!

Spec Miata #73
Reynard F2000
various Hondas
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK
That's because I got the last one. I knew this would happen as soon as I ordered one!
Me Too.
Chet
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 AM

I'm very glad to hear that the shifters are being replaced. With my luck, I know that mine would have broken at the most inconvenient moment. If all goes well, I'll have the new shifter before spring arrives.

Well, I guess I'm not always the one with bad luck. I also got a recall notice on my tow hitch. Apparently it could break, resulting in the trailer separating from the tow vehicle. Would have sucked big time to loose the Elise that way.

Reto

2005 Lotus Elise (yellow, sport pack), #94 SS
2005 Nissan Xterra (LSV)
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomaniac
I would assume that if Lotus would have initiated the recall, I doubt that the gov. agencies would need be involved.
On reading the memos, it indicates "pursuant to 49 CFR..." The government requires manufacturers to notify them - they can't just quietly do a recall without notifying them. I'm sure there are other legal requirements too. It's one of the many reasons that doing business in the US is costly, and can often appear to be slow...
Attached Images

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:05 AM

I spoke with my service manager Friday and he said he called lotus and there was no recall. How long will it take for him to get the word?
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:10 AM

This is my thought too, it may be many months between the time a recall is
announced and actually acted upon.
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 AM

Just tell your lotus dealer the reverse lockout on your shifter does not always work, sometimes it sticks. I believe they will then replace your shifter with a new style even if the recall is not official yet.

05 Elise, A-Red-Sport-Touring- H top-
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:03 PM

what are the odds have having the dealer install the stud to the console frame while doing this repair ? Maybe print out Stans original post and pics of it and give it to the dealer with the car when I get the recall ?
post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyElise
Do you think this could be the result of LotusTech's involvement?
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldunne
what are the odds have having the dealer install the stud to the console frame while doing this repair ? Maybe print out Stans original post and pics of it and give it to the dealer with the car when I get the recall ?
About the same as winning the lottery.
post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldunne
I would expect that it could be done for an extra charge. A reasonable shop should be able to do it without much of a problem... If it takes any extra time, I think the possibility of Lotus paying for the extra labor is about zero...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomaniac
You may very well be correct in your assumptions, but I would assume that if Lotus would have initiated the recall, I doubt that the gov. agencies would need be involved.
IIRC, all recalls need to be registered with the NHTSA, regardless of whether it is the factory or the government that starts the action.

ed

Magnetic Blue/LSS Delivered: 1/13/05
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHahn
IIRC, all recalls need to be registered with the NHTSA, regardless of whether it is the factory or the government that starts the action.

ed
Thanks Ed and Tim as you very well may be right. It's beaurocracy in action!

Owner of '05 Elise S/T- touring- LSS-Stage 2
'07 Audi RS4 4.2L V-8 420 HP - 6 Sp..(sold)
'07 Toyota Prius (sold)
'10 Toyota Tundra
'08 Ducati Multistrada
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:53 PM

This is really great news. Now the real question is, which will be available at the dealers first, the shifter recall or the LSD retro fit
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Lise
So to clarify, it's the last 4 digits of the VIN that tell you if you're in the recall group?
I guess the next question is - until the fix is made - to drive (with "high handling force") or not to drive??
It is interesting that my VIN is within the recall range (just barely - 2473), but I have a round shifter (checked it out when I removed and painted my center console). Based on reports here at elisetalk, I have observed with other reported changes that the changes to the car don't go strictly by VIN. There seems to be an overlap period (at least by VIN, not sure about time) when the old and new versions are mixed.
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH
It is interesting that my VIN is within the recall range (just barely - 2473), but I have a round shifter (checked it out when I removed and painted my center console). Based on reports here at elisetalk, I have observed with other reported changes that the changes to the car don't go strictly by VIN. There seems to be an overlap period (at least by VIN, not sure about time) when the old and new versions are mixed.
Yes that is why I tell folks to go by whether they have the hex shaft or not. I have a Europa S2 produced about 6 months after they stopped making them. The main thing is that if you feel a round shaft you are all set, hex and you need to "go round".
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Will this result in the need to get a new shift knob too?
Dont some of the newer shifters have different thread patterns for the knobs depending upon when they were made? I thought the older ones were smaller and screwed on and newer ones were larger and went on with a set screw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.