Elise Shifter Recall - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:15 PM

The instructions in the bulletin clearly indicate that a new shift knob (with a set screw I assume), along with the larger round shaft, is part of the recall replacement.

Member, AR ELITE

a.k.a. Lotus-Eater (one who loses all desire for earthly pursuits or memory of family and home, whose only desire is to live in bliss in Lotus-land)

2005 Elise: Ardent red, touring, biscuit, starshield
2006 WRX wagon (CGM) with short shifter
1999 10th Anniversary Miata (for sale, 25K miles)
1990 Miata (sold)
1985 MR2 (sold)
1976 MG Midget and 1971 TR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotic
Will this result in the need to get a new shift knob too?
Dont some of the newer shifters have different thread patterns for the knobs depending upon when they were made? I thought the older ones were smaller and screwed on and newer ones were larger and went on with a set screw.
I'm sure they will add or include a shift knob if you'd wind up without one. Can't do a safety recall and then send you out on the road with a sturdy, pointy shaft in the middle of your car!!! I imagine they will just provide the stock new design shift knob with the set screw if you'd wind up knobless. The newer knobs seem to have a coarser feel to the engraved markings on top. Filling them in with paint smoothes that out nicely. New design knob:

post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdHahn
Does this mean the new shafts will accept the original shift knob? ed
No. The new shaft (version 5) has a different thread than the version 3 levers, which = most of the problem levers and which have no set screw on the knobs. There are some set screw knobs on hex levers. Forget the knob threading there. Lotus is likely to have ONE solution which I'd guess would be one round lever with aluminum knob with setscrew. If you bought a Lotus or aftermarket knob that only fits the early shaft? Not sure if you are outta luck there, good question.
post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 PM
-

How-to and samples of painted shift knobs:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...int+shift+knob
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotic
Will this result in the need to get a new shift knob too?
Don't some of the newer shifters have different thread patterns for the knobs depending upon when they were made? I thought the older ones were smaller and screwed on and newer ones were larger and went on with a set screw.
I believe the the knobs themselves are the same size - just that the hole to screw them on has been made larger. It should feel the same.

As for the set screw, it's my impression that the knob still screw on the shaft. Once screwed on, the set screw is tightened to keep the knob from rotating. It's much easier to line up the "label" on the top of the knob that way. The old way, you could end up with the label "upside down", and you would either have to unscrew it a half turn, of tighten it up very tight to get it to turn another half turn...

But I'm also worried about the hole in the side for the set screw - I have a problem with finding "imperfections" like that with my finger tips, and then become obsessed with it. I might end up constantly rubbing the set screw hole with my finger...

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #46 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:15 PM
insert clever title here

Bummer about the knob...I like the smooth feel of the shift knob the way it is now, and like Tim, I think I'll become obsessed with the set screw in the new one.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #47 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
But I'm also worried about the hole in the side for the set screw - I have a problem with finding "imperfections" like that with my finger tips, and then become obsessed with it. I might end up constantly rubbing the set screw hole with my finger...
Although I hate to fess up to something that sounds as kinky as this, I have the same obsession. Is there any way to smooth over the hole?
post #48 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Although I hate to fess up to something that sounds as kinky as this, I have the same obsession. Is there any way to smooth over the hole?
Fill it with wax? That should make it smooth, yet easy to remove should you need to get to the set screw.
post #49 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 PM

So has anybody called a dealer yet? HRM even? I meant to do it this morning but forgot all about it.
post #50 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 PM

Tried last week. My service manager called Lotus USA. He said the official word thus far is no recall.
post #51 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcamejo
So has anybody called a dealer yet? HRM even? I meant to do it this morning but forgot all about it.
We're waiting for Lotustech to call us.
post #52 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyelise
Tried last week. My service manager called Lotus USA. He said the official word thus far is no recall.
Drat. I have a hex shifter and I'm driving from CT to FL and back in a few days. It would be really nice to get the shifter taken care of before I go. I'd hate to have it break in hillbilly country halfway there.
post #53 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
We're waiting for Lotustech to call us.
I called the local Lotus dealer Monday morning. They had not been informed of the recall yet. The Service Tech told me he would give me a call as soon as they hear something, or they are able to replace my shifter. Although they were not yet up to speed, they were very helpful, and willing to get things replaced as soon as they can.
Chet
post #54 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:18 AM

Just an FYI, but my shifter knob just screws on. To take it off I would simply screw it counterclockwise. It looks like I'll get a shiny new one with the new shaft. Shafts and knobs-resisting resisting...

Jer
2006 Elise
2002 Ford Excursion DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1994 Miata street car
1996 Miata race car, 1991 BMW race car
post #55 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:09 AM

Anyone have a picture of what the new shift Knob looks like?
post #56 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911EATER
Anyone have a picture of what the new shift Knob looks like?
See post 43 above. That is the latest knob, embellished with paint in the shift pattern.
post #57 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 08:11 AM

I just painted mine that way and now I'll likely never get to use it. Oh well it only took 5 min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
See post 43 above. That is the latest knob, embellished with paint in the shift pattern.
post #58 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Drat. I have a hex shifter and I'm driving from CT to FL and back in a few days. It would be really nice to get the shifter taken care of before I go. I'd hate to have it break in hillbilly country halfway there.
Carry a set of locking pliers, and you won't get stranded at least.

ed

Magnetic Blue/LSS Delivered: 1/13/05
post #59 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Ridge Man

If you purchased a leather shift knob from Lotus,
we're not talking aftermarket, Lotus should replace
that type of knob for the one that no longer fits
on the new gearshift. At worst, they should allow
you to buy it at 'cost'.
post #60 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 08:15 AM

Shifter Recall

Quote:
I talked to Criswell a few days ago and they are aware of the recall although there is not a final "go" form Lotus. My car is there for other work and hopefully it can happen before I get it back. If it is another week or so I will just schedule sometime in the spring. I doubt that I will drive it much before spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.