Elise Shifter Recall - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb
Since I already replaced my shifter with the B&M, can I just hand in the old one for the new shifter in case I ever want to go back to stock?
Sorry Scott, But there's no way I'm going there, I'm just a Lotus Tech.
All the best. Don.
P.S. The next time I'm at my house on candlewood we can hit the Fore-n-Aft
for a pint.

'' I always tell my students to follow their bliss- where
the deep sense of being is from, and where your body and soul want to go''. Joseph Campell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOGEE
P.S. The next time I'm at my house on candlewood we can hit the Fore-n-Aft for a pint.
Sounds good to me!
post #83 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOGEE
Sorry Scott, But there's no way I'm going there, I'm just a Lotus Tech.
All the best. Don.
P.S. The next time I'm at my house on candlewood we can hit the Fore-n-Aft
for a pint.
You have a place on Candlewood? I just sold my place there...Wanna buy my boat?
post #84 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 07:40 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan1
You have a place on Candlewood? I just sold my place there...Wanna buy my boat?
Thank's, But it took me a year to get rid of the four boats I had there, I'm
down to the Donzi 16 I had since I was fifthteen. I lived there from 1959
till 1976, I used to ''go home'' twice a year before signing on with Lotus.
All the best. Don

'' I always tell my students to follow their bliss- where
the deep sense of being is from, and where your body and soul want to go''. Joseph Campell
post #85 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK
That's because I got the last one. I knew this would happen as soon as I ordered one!
Just installed the B&M this morning, let the recalls commence!

Spec Miata #73
Reynard F2000
various Hondas
post #86 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 AM

Garage
Got my letter today in Gilbert, AZ. I'll have it replaced at the 7,500K service in three weeks.
post #87 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM

Got my letter 2/16 on East Coast

So much for the East-West gradient theory. Maybe it's based on alphabetical order of owner's last name? Or date of purchase. I wonder if Lotus is gonna pay me for my time to take 2 half-days down and back to get this fixed??
post #88 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM

I have not yet received a recall notice!!???

Should I be concerned about this?
I don't know my VIN off the top of my head (need to check it)
but I would assume it's affected by the dates that have been listed.

Anyone else out there not receive a recall notice yet??

2002 Mini Cooper S.....Traded
2000 S2000.......Traded
2005 BRG Elise, Touring, Hardtop, Starshield....5-24-05
2006 AB Mini Cooper S....12-15-06
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin."
post #89 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 PM

mine is done

Just got mine done at my 7500 at South Bay.
I'm sure it took him less than an hour.

Feels way sturdier.
post #90 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseCat
I don't know my VIN off the top of my head (need to check it)
Do you have the hex shaft? You can feel the shaft through the shifter boot - if it's round, you already have the new shifter; if it's hex, you get the recall.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #91 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 06:04 AM

Shifter performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK
Just installed the B&M this morning, let the recalls commence!
How does the B&M shifter compare to the stock part? Shorter throws? More effort? Quicker? How hard was the installation?
post #92 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:11 PM

I got a recall, gotta take it in now. Might as well get the speakers fixed since the warranty covers that also I guess. And the starshield peeling.

2005 Elise, Nightfall Blue
post #93 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Got an appointment...

...next Wednesday at Ferrari (Lotus) of Denver to get my pencil shifter replaced on the recall.

My B&M is redundant. I'll keep it for posterity unless someone wants a new B&M for $260. Still in vac-seal on card in original box.

Free delivery if you send a check and don't mind waiting for it to clear -or- send a PayPal for $267 (includes 3% PayPal fee). Frankly, I'll be happy to part with the B&M as long as the factory/dealer fix is as stout as it is said to be. (I don't think I need the apparent extra benefit the B&M offers. I love this car as she is!)

Best regards,
Bob

Life is full of compromises. The garage shouldn't be.
post #94 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: Got an appointment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusport
...next Wednesday at Ferrari (Lotus) of Denver to get my pencil shifter replaced on the recall.
But took her in today instead because the forecast for Denver is for snow (some real snowfall: 4" - 8")! I can't believe my good fortune, though. I've been driving with the top off for the past three days in 66-74 degree weather, beautiful clear skies. Didn't want to go back to my office; I really wanted to play hooky for the rest of the day. Ah, well...

I asked when I got the work done if I could keep the old unit for a souvenir (garage wall art). They said they'd called Dave Simkin to ask. No such luck, though they did let me keep the original shift ball. I noticed the recess for the setscrew in the new one before I'd even left their lot. Now I have to paint the pattern again on the new one.

I could also tell the difference easily in the stout feel of the shifter. Much more of a "snick-snick" feel than before. It surprised me, then, to find that the stick is not noticeably thicker than the hexagonal "pencil" that was there before. Maybe like going from a No. 2 pencil to a round, thicker pencil like the ones they used to give us in first grade for writing practice.

Once again, I received good professional treatment from a dealer that has definitely matured since their move from their old location. The new location south of Denver is a magnificent facility with an expansive showroom -- that had three AR (or whatever the equivalent "new" color is called) Lotuses on the floor: two Elises and a new Exige. It was fun to see the Exige side-by-side with a pair of sibling Elises. Neat to compare the detail differences.

The comparo reaffirmed my decision to replace the plastic slits/slats/strakes on Ellie with the hex expanded metal mesh that so smoothly covers the various openings on the Exige. I came home and seriously shopped the 'net for the proper mesh and have four 4x4-foot sheets on request. Not purchased, since every supplier seems to be a manufacturer or distributor, but I found two that seem to be willing to deal with an individual.

Finally had to put Ellie to bed for a few days. Don't want to risk 'er on snow- and ice-covered roads. I'll just let 'er nap till the bad stuff (including the sand and salt) goes away. What the heck, it will probably be in the seventies again soon enough. This is (almost) springtime in the Rockies after all.

Best regards,
Bob

Life is full of compromises. The garage shouldn't be.

Last edited by lotusport; 03-09-2006 at 04:16 PM.
post #95 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:55 AM

i just had the shifter recall done on my lotus (vin 1329) and it took manhattan motors in the hamptons 5 hrs to complete...they said mine was the 2nd one they've done. The shifter does feel better now and they also did my inspection which was due 3 months ago ($10).

nice place but it did take 5 hrs away from my one day off.

2005 Ardent Touring Elise,
should i keep it or sell it?!
post #96 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 01:36 PM

SVAG, shifter replacement, radiator

I took my Elise into SVAG (Silicon Valley Auto Group) to have the shifter replaced. I happened to mention I needed to add coolant a couple of times.

The shifter was replaced quickly and a pressure check of the cooling system showed a cracked radiator. It took the weekend to get the part and the car was returned to me, detailed and all six days after I dropped it off. Thanks to Andrew, Robert, Rich and the rest of the crew.

I remember when the we first started getting our cars, some of us were so amazed that the cars were arriving, we would go out to the garage at night and check to see if it was really there. I remember doing it. It was interesting to see my emotional reaction to go out there and see an empty spot in the garage. And I have had my car for a year and a half!

Contrary to you all, I do not notice any difference in shifting or strength of the lever. My original shifter was smooth and precise. The new one is the same. I did notice it was moved over slightly towards the passenger side but I will adjust that later. I do not like the new shift ball. I prefer adding Teflon tape to the threads and getting it tight and straight rather than setting the set screw. The edges of the gear numbers and the set screw hole are sharp and I can feel the metal edges catching on my skin. Looking for a replacement now...

Michael

www.sandsmuseum.com
antique coin op repair
post #97 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsmuseum
I prefer adding Teflon tape to the threads and getting it tight and straight rather than setting the set screw. The edges of the gear numbers and the set screw hole are sharp and I can feel the metal edges catching on my skin. Looking for a replacement now...
Michael
You can still do the teflon deal and then epoxy the set screw hole shut. You cannot see the hole in any event.

On my new-style shift ball I did the following:

* Sanded the setscrew hole by hand to create a rounded edge. This helps a lot.

* Filled the engraved shift pattern markings. My son did that, it is easy. That helps a lot too as the edge is softened and the depth is reduced.

post #98 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsmuseum
I did notice it was moved over slightly towards the passenger side but I will adjust that later.
I had mine replaced yesterday when I went in for the 7.5k service. Didn't get a recall notice, and I'm pretty sure the old shaft was round, but they said it was recalled. Mine seems to be shifted (hehe, pun) fairly dramatically to the passenger side. It even seems to hit the console when shifting into 5th. I never noticed this with the old shifter, but it could also be that I'm paying more attention now that something is different.

Is there a reason for things being more skewed towards the passenger side? Has anyone noticed this interfering with passengers? (I don't know yet...my fast likes to keep things light)
post #99 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs
I had mine replaced yesterday when I went in for the 7.5k service. Didn't get a recall notice, and I'm pretty sure the old shaft was round, but they said it was recalled. Mine seems to be shifted (hehe, pun) fairly dramatically to the passenger side. It even seems to hit the console when shifting into 5th. I never noticed this with the old shifter, but it could also be that I'm paying more attention now that something is different.

Is there a reason for things being more skewed towards the passenger side? Has anyone noticed this interfering with passengers? (I don't know yet...my fast likes to keep things light)
I brought mine into Criswell to do the recall work last week, along with the extra page warning that my airbag won't work while driving on either the surface of the sun or Pluto... Post-recall, the shifter feels more solid when shifting, but my frequent passenger agrees that it leans significantly more into their side of the car.

As an aside, I asked about the lens adornment, and the service rep said she hadn't heard of any required fitment...Has anyone had the plastic covers installed at Criswell? Or the AC sensor repositioning??? Neither were done for me.

MikeVR4

Mind the Gap!
post #100 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:51 AM

Done the recall.
The new seems little better in movements and in less noises durig the shifting operations but the knob has get a little bolt on the front side that are not confortable to touch, i prefer the old all solid ball.

WWW.111R.ORG

2004 Lotus SY 111R Elise VF II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.