Elise Shifter Recall - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Fill the hole with silicone.

Under 2000 pounds...over 400 hp... Made in America. Something Wicked This Way Comes.... early 2017
Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady characters in the Lotus retail business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Chase
Fill the hole with silicone.
I just had my recall completed last week, there is a more solid shift. I am very happy. The service guys showed me an enormus list of elise owners that have not had this recall completed yet. It is free, and a solid improvement, we pay for things like this when we purchased the car. You can check the lotus factory website using your vin number to see what recall need to be done on your elise; do not rely on the dealer to send you a notice. The new ball has a larger diameter base hole to accomdate the larger diameter shifter. Ask for your old shifter ball back and use it for a paper weight. I am drilling a small piece of granite and installing mine on that for my stack o papers on the desk. The techs have just been keeping them if you do not ask for it. They use them for the same thing in the shop.

2005 Elise Starlight Black
1991 Elan Monaco White
1973 Triumph Stag, second owner.
1975 XJ12C Jaguar pillarless coupe.
1960 Daimler Limo, drives great look like hell, project in the works.
post #103 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_Marques
... You can check the lotus factory website using your vin number to see what recall need to be done on your elise; do not rely on the dealer to send you a notice. ...
Could you post a link to the web page that lets us check for recalls?

post #104 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Leans to the right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs
...Mine seems to be shifted (hehe, pun) fairly dramatically to the passenger side. It even seems to hit the console when shifting into 5th. I never noticed this with the old shifter, but it could also be that I'm paying more attention now that something is different.

Is there a reason for things being more skewed towards the passenger side? Has anyone noticed this interfering with passengers?...
Just had my shifter replaced on Thursday. It does feel a little bit more "solid" when shifting.

No doubt the new shifter sits dramatically to the right when in neutral position. So much so that reverse is where 1st used to be, 1st gear is where 3rd used to be...significantly leaning to the right. Is this easily adjusted?..or should I just leave it as is because this is the "new and improved" position.

On a side note, since I had the Lotus OEM leather shift knob on the original shifter, Lotus replaced the knob under warranty with the new shifter.

2005 Elise - Magnetic Blue, Tour, Black, Got Mine 11/04!!
2006 Subaru Baja
2000 BMW 328Ci
1997 Mazda Miata
post #105 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:34 PM

link to lotus for recalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH
Could you post a link to the web page that lets us check for recalls?
Attached is the link for the recall site at lotus. Just enter you vin and away they will list what you need done, nice to check up from time to time.

http://www.grouplotus.com/generic/ge...=12&page_id=35
Product Recalls

2005 Elise Starlight Black
1991 Elan Monaco White
1973 Triumph Stag, second owner.
1975 XJ12C Jaguar pillarless coupe.
1960 Daimler Limo, drives great look like hell, project in the works.
post #106 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 01:12 PM

I finally went to the dealer this morning to get my shifter recalled.

It might be a bit more "solid", but not enough that I notice it. The hole in the shifter ball is different than I expected. I though it would be near the bottom of the ball, but it isn't - it's in the middle of the ball. Instead of my fingers feeling the hole all the time, it falls between my two fingers about at the second knuckle. Not that noticeable - until I put my hand sideways on the ball (i.e. gentle shift into 4th). Then my finger tip lands right on the hole. I guess I'll figure out how to fill the hole, but it isn't a priority since it's not as bad as I was expecting.

I also had the rest of the "recalls" done. They did the ECU re-flash (mine's an early car and had not had it done yet). The car actually seems to idle a tad bit better, but no real difference yet. By the way, this does in fact, clear all the entries in the ECU. The computer thought my car had 17 seconds on the engine...

The headlight embellisher rings were added. They are not noticeable at all.

The duct tape has been added to the sharp metal under the dash (never touched it so I don't know if it was a problem).

The manual was "updated" with the air bag temperature warning.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #107 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen
I finally went to the dealer this morning to get my shifter recalled.

It might be a bit more "solid", but not enough that I notice it....
Tim, does your new shifter lean dramatically to the passenger side now? See my previous post.

2005 Elise - Magnetic Blue, Tour, Black, Got Mine 11/04!!
2006 Subaru Baja
2000 BMW 328Ci
1997 Mazda Miata
post #108 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLElise
Tim, does your new shifter lean dramatically to the passenger side now? See my previous post.
Nope. Because of other people noticing their's change position, I did a simple measurement. I placed my right leg along the console (where it usually sits, and measured the distance from my leg to the shift knob in first gear with my fingers (a little less than two fingers width). It was the same place with the new one.

There are adjustments in the cables (at each end), that should allow the shifter to be positioned as needed. A bit of a hassle, but it shouldn't be hard to do. I don't know if the tech that changed my shifter adjusted anything, or just put the new shifter in, but it's just fine.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
post #109 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:29 AM

Tim, what dealer did your recall, and how did it go service department wise?

Thanks,

Rod "too lazy to do the recall yet" ney

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #110 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan
Tim, what dealer did your recall, and how did it go service department wise?
I took it to Criswell, and they did just fine. They even let me keep my old shift ball, but it was chewed up because the tech had to use vise grips to remove it. If I had though of it, I would have used my rubber strap wrench at home and loosened it so it would have come off easily. Oh well. Now I have a project to machine down the knob and smooth it back out.

It took a little over two hours to do every thing (shifter, headlight rings, re-flash, duct tape, and warning in the owner's manual). The worst part is that the shop for Lotus is off of the Hummer sales area, so I had to wait with nothing to look at but giant Hummers.

post #111 of 121 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 AM

I took mine back last friday. They left a lot of dirt and some oil on the aluminum floor. The chief mechanic had gone and I couldn't complain.

By chance yesterday I realised that the leather cover around the gear stick is badly teared off , with big holes (normally not visible but they are there, and they were definitely not there before...).

Emailed the dealer and complained. He replied that they spotted the holes in the leather when I gave them the car and have ordered a new leather cover under warranty... funnily enough they had not told me this before... :-)
post #112 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Spring on manual transmission

Hi everyone I just bought a 2007 Lotus Elise and love it. I notice one problem though...the manual transmission does not spring back to the center in neutral. I figure it could be due to the cold weather of Chicago or could it be something else?
post #113 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
hate speed limits

Rise.. Rise.. Rise.. It's ALIVE!

(on a more serious note, I have no idea. hopefully its the cold. My Prelude did that not too long ago & eventually I couldn't even put it in gear so I replaced the clutch.)
post #114 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaone View Post
Hi everyone I just bought a 2007 Lotus Elise and love it. I notice one problem though...the manual transmission does not spring back to the center in neutral. I figure it could be due to the cold weather of Chicago or could it be something else?
It's a Lotus shifter. Give it time, it will pop out of gear and back into neutral on it's own soon enough.
post #115 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdude View Post
Rise.. Rise.. Rise.. It's ALIVE!

(on a more serious note, I have no idea. hopefully its the cold. My Prelude did that not too long ago & eventually I couldn't even put it in gear so I replaced the clutch.)
Of course, if he hadn't posted his question here, he would have been admonished about a dozen times that he should've searched.
post #116 of 121 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 PM

I did search...in researching some more I believe it is the return spring on the shifter. At least I still have a warranty
post #117 of 121 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 PM

FVMC is installing new shift cables. Thanks FVMC!

post #118 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 AM

New Shifter Issue?

Looks like the OG owner never had this fixed and I did not look when I took the console off!
Of Course I did the brace mod.
Will the dealer send me the round one? It sheared right off. Good thing I was on a local street.

Elise 05 Bourdeaux (like the wine!)- Euro Exhaust, XS Cold Air, K40, Sport / Touring, Hardtop

1500 Dodge Ram
2003 Tahoe
Honda Civic 03 DD !

Last edited by actc26; 04-11-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: looked again
post #119 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actc26 View Post
Looks like the OG owner never had this fixed and I did not look when I took the console off!
Of Course I did the brace mod.
Will the dealer send me the round one? It sheared right off. Good thing I was on a local street.
Unless you've got a good relationship with a cooperative dealer, doubt they'd just send you the shifter for you to install yourself, as covered by the recall. If you want to order and pay for one yourself, though, they'd do that.

Nearly all warranty/recall work I've seen must be actually performed by the dealer for there to be no charge to you. They have no control over the installation, right or wrong, if you do it, so they cannot back up the work.
post #120 of 121 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_Marques View Post
Attached is the link for the recall site at lotus. Just enter you vin and away they will list what you need done, nice to check up from time to time.

http://www.grouplotus.com/generic/ge...=12&page_id=35
Product Recalls
That site moved looking all around. Has anyone seen where it went?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.