The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Oil line recall

206K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Flash G 
#1 ·
Just got an email stating lotus is going to recall 05 and 06 models to repair oil cooler lines. Anyone else hear this?

#3 ·
Interesting, why just '05 and '06? Aren't the oil cooler lines identical in all S2 Elise/Exige? Perhaps it's yet another oversight by the NHTSA.

I'll have to chat w/ my dealer to see what the low-down is, and if '07+ indeed have different part numbers.

#11 ·
Click thru this link and click the Document Search. The letter from Lotus to NHTSA seems to indicate three things of interest:

1.) Recall notification to dealers and owners coming soon

2.) 5,037 vehicles are impacted by the recall and this is 74.92% of total Elise/Exige cars in USA which would extrapolate out to 6,723 total production - a figure that seems to have previously been elusive.

3.) An option for reimbursement of past performed remedies will be available.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2011/V/RCDNN-11V510-2615.pdf

#5 ·
Awesome, keeping a very very close eye on this.

"Lotus will contact owners"

How exactly do they plan to do that? I know there are lots of original owners, but I would venture a guess a majority of elise/exige owners bought them used. Time to call the lotus number given!

#6 ·
:clap: Now I wonder how they are going to fix them? Do they reinforce/re-clamp the existing connections or run with all new parts? If they use new parts, do you trust them to fix it with Lotus stock parts or do you show up at the dealership with Sector111's kit and hope they use those parts and cover the labor? Lots of questions...

#9 ·
I just purchased the upgraded lines from RLS and was getting ready to have them installed at the dealer. I'm guessing that I may get free labor at best. I'm also replacing the radiator at the same time with one from Wizard Cooling, as I don't want to have to pay to remove the front clam again for a long time.

#10 ·
This is great news, I'm constantly watching my side mirrors for the inevitable "streak". Hopefully an expense like this doesn't sink Lotus, then again, their new line up is pretty unobtainable for most of us anyway.:shrug:

#12 ·
I owned an M100 Elan which had a common leak issue with the gas tank. For the longest time Lotus did nothing until there were a lot of complaints. Then in 2002 Lotus notified all owners of the possible gas tank issue (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V199000). All they did was a pressure leak down test to see if your gas tank was leaking. If everything checked okay no action was done. IMO this seemed pointless as I the tank could have failed sometime in the future after the test.

Anyhow, with the above said, my take is Lotus will do the same with the Elise/Exige recall...you take your car to a Lotus dealer they are going to inspect all end points of the oil lines to see if they are showing failure. If the lines look okay they will say everything checked out okay and your oil lines do not need replacement. What further makes me believe this is the NHTSA report stating the Remedy as "…LOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGELOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE…"

But how knows...Maybe with a new CEO things will be different?

#48 ·
I'm 100% positive Lotus and its dealerships will do everything possible not to get one damn thing done about it and they have a squad of lawyers already looking for loopholes around this recall. Cheap bastards. Best bet is to have the work done independently and hope that Lotus at least reimburses you for the trouble.

#13 ·
ok now i just need to decide should i 'risk' taking my car to a dealer to get taken apart, have holes drilled in it and etc... or? no problems, knock on composite.

#17 ·
Anyhow, with the above said, my take is Lotus will do the same with the Elise/Exige recall...you take your car to a Lotus dealer they are going to inspect all end points of the oil lines to see if they are showing failure. If the lines look okay they will say everything checked out okay and your oil lines do not need replacement.
Since my local dealer told me back in June that one of my fittings was weeping oil very slightly and should be replaced, I figure that I'm in like Flynt. I will have the RLS lines installed, as the dealer has already agreed to use them, so I might just get reimbursed for labor. I don't want to use the crappy lines that Lotus supplies, as the RLS lines are head and shoulders above in quality.

#18 ·
I am glad this has finally come about. I have been concerned as I like most of us drive my car quite a bit at high speed on twisty roads. Having the line come loose and spilling oil on the tires in a high speed turn would get real ugly real fast. About time.

#20 ·
Has anyone found the VIN attachment the recall letter says included?

I know my VIN ends in 193, and off top of my head shows a manufacture date of April or May 2004 (Could be totally wrong on this though, my memory isn't that good.)... And notice the recall says June 1, 2004.

I'll check when I get home later today to verify that.

#21 ·
I just was sent the following from another Elise owner, not sure if he posts on this,

I spoke with Lotus Cars and they said the NHTSA was slightly premature in their release of this data. Additionally, they shared that any Lotus affected by the recall will be notified by Lotus Cars via mail in 4- 6 weeks.

#24 ·
I have a sector111 gPAN. Will this cause an issue for the recall where I would somehow be denied elgibility due to a modiied oil system (bs i know...)?

Has anyone called their dealer to discuss using the RLS kit

#27 ·
Click on the pdf file link in post #11, go to page 2 of the document, and read sections 573.6(c)(2) and 573.6(c)(6). Those sections will answer most questions about the Elise and Exige model years and production months affected by the recall and nature of the problem and why 2007+ subsequent model years are not covered. ;)

#44 ·
There won't be any Federal V6 Exiges.
There will be 25 Cup Exiges S sold to be raced in the Cup USA series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.