Oil line recall - Page 12 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #221 (permalink)

I wonder how many letters were sent out, and how much it theoretically would cost the company (which hasn't been profitable in ..decades?) to fix each each car?
..which i imagine is the reason why they're hesitant to move forward on it.
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
Gizmo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #222 (permalink)
tmr

I received my letter a few weeks ago and called the Lotus Cars USA number they provided. I left a voicemail message with customer service asking them to call me about the oil line replacement I had done last year at Lotus of Atlanta after they found one of my lines was leaking. It's been a week with no return call, so I suspect I won't hear from them. That's okay, as it's less than an hour drive from home to LCU HQ, so I may just pay them a visit.
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #223 (permalink)

tmr please do pay them a visit and bring a Lawyer with you! Lotus needs to come up with a reasonable solution to this obvious defect and fix our cars.
JohnHanson1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #224 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHanson1976 View Post
tmr please do pay them a visit and bring a Lawyer with you! Lotus needs to come up with a reasonable solution to this obvious defect and fix our cars.
+1

I called them before I got the letter and they basically said they don't know what they are going to do. So I asked what do I do if I blow a line now and scatter an engine.

He said, give us a call. But nothing beyond that.

Oh, well, my engine will probably be ready for a rebuild by the time the oil lines get replaced.

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
apexdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #225 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
+1

I called them before I got the letter and they basically said they don't know what they are going to do. So I asked what do I do if I blow a line now and scatter an engine.

He said, give us a call. But nothing beyond that.

Oh, well, my engine will probably be ready for a rebuild by the time the oil lines get replaced.

About the same non customer service I got from Lotus when my oil cooler line separated from its coupling and emptied the engine oil on the road. I love the car I HATE the Lotus non customer service from the dealership all the way up to the Proton Headquarters.

I do not use the word HATE lightly!!!!!!
JohnHanson1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #226 (permalink)
tmr

I stopped by Lotus Cars USA HQ today to ask how the recall was going. Still no word yet on what they are to do. I described my case and was told that I might be able to get reimbursement for the labor, but not for the RLS (aftermarket) lines. It was mentioned that I might also have to sign off on a statement that I wouldn't come after them at a later date due to aftermarket parts being used. Fair enough, as my oil lines didn't fail completely and my engine is still intact.

Just a note - the new LCU HQ is tiny compared to the one they relocated from in December.
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #227 (permalink)

It seems to me a simple fix would be to add an additional crimp to the existing hose ends. Has anyone investigated simply crimping the existing metal sleeve with a crimping tool?
Žob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #228 (permalink)

was taking out the garbage last night and then i saw this...

my baby forgot her tampon!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #229 (permalink)

so woke up early and called the outs dealership in huntinton, ny (AutoSport Designs) and they said they would call me back, waited 2 hours+ and they still didn't call, so i called again and gave my vin and phone to someone their, got a call back to hear that my 06 lotus elise has no recall, i told him about the the owners on here and about the recall online and he told me thats its not 100% true... i told him i have an automotive background and i know whats going on and he told me that their isn't any recalls, i asked him for lotus usa's number and he said i should look it up on the net, (didn't he just told me that the internet isn't 100% true?) anyways got off the phone with them and called National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) told them what happened and they said well if lotus says no then they can't do anything, if i would like i can open a safety claim or something like that, i was so pissed, i told her to have a nice day and hunged up, then called lotus usa she told me if my lotus dealership says their isn't none then their isn't none, then i told her about lotus talk and i read articles on the net about the recall thats when she asked me if i have a oil cooler leak lol (1st theirs no recalls now u know what i'm talking about?) then she transfer me to someone that isn't at his desk and was forced to leave a message, i then called manhattan motor cars in the city and she said that their isn't a recall that lotus is trying to figure out something.. i then told her about lout talk, the articles online and that i have a automotive background, thats when she take my name and number down and she will inform me of something if anything happens.... i don't know what to do from here... any suggestions, thanks in adv for all of your help!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #230 (permalink)

throwback, call them back and refer to the NHTSA Campaign ID and action numbers below

I got them off the NHTSA website

Make: LOTUS Model: ELISE
Model Year: 2006
Manufacturer: LOTUS CARS LTD Mfr's Report Date: OCT 14, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V510000 NHTSA Action Number: PE11022
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Summary:
LOTUS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2007 ELISE AND EXIGE VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM JUNE 1, 2004, THROUGH NOVEMBER 30, 2006. THE OIL COOLER LINE MAY BECOME DETACHED FROM ITS FITTING.
Consequence:
A DETACHED OIL LINE COULD SPRAY OIL ON A TIRE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH, OR IT COULD SPRAY OIL THROUGHOUT THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT INCREASING THE RISK OF A FIRE.
Remedy:
LOTUS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE VEHICLES AS NECESSARY FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 19, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LOTUS AT 1-800-245-6887.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #231 (permalink)

I think the recall is going to happen, Lotus just does not know how to handle. Hence why I did a temp fix sometime ago to prevent/migitate this from happening.

I do not believe a single person has gotten anything fixed yet. Might be wrong though.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #232 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetthrowback View Post
so woke up early and called the outs dealership in huntinton, ny (AutoSport Designs) and they said they would call me back, waited 2 hours+ and they still didn't call, so i called again and gave my vin and phone to someone their, got a call back to hear that my 06 lotus elise has no recall, i told him about the the owners on here and about the recall online and he told me thats its not 100% true... i told him i have an automotive background and i know whats going on and he told me that their isn't any recalls, i asked him for lotus usa's number and he said i should look it up on the net, (didn't he just told me that the internet isn't 100% true?) anyways got off the phone with them and called National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) told them what happened and they said well if lotus says no then they can't do anything, if i would like i can open a safety claim or something like that, i was so pissed, i told her to have a nice day and hunged up, then called lotus usa she told me if my lotus dealership says their isn't none then their isn't none, then i told her about lotus talk and i read articles on the net about the recall thats when she asked me if i have a oil cooler leak lol (1st theirs no recalls now u know what i'm talking about?) then she transfer me to someone that isn't at his desk and was forced to leave a message, i then called manhattan motor cars in the city and she said that their isn't a recall that lotus is trying to figure out something.. i then told her about lout talk, the articles online and that i have a automotive background, thats when she take my name and number down and she will inform me of something if anything happens.... i don't know what to do from here... any suggestions, thanks in adv for all of your help!
What number did you call for lotus usa? in my letter i received about the recall its 1800-245-6887 (1800-24-lotus). I just got off the phone with them and they validated the letter and the recall investigation is real. I mentioned how you called a dealer and they said there is nothing of the sort. She said"she wanted to know the dealers that are saying this" I didn't have this page open so i couldn't give her the details but i told it was on this site.
She explained right now we are to wait till all is figured out and we will receive another letter.
Hope this helps everyone wondering the validity of this recall.
bman6074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #233 (permalink)

Throwback that sucks sorry to see it. Probably one of the cooler lines at the sandwich plate. I replaced mine and my friends with the RLS lines. Really not that hard. Yes it is an expense but I am confident now. Sector sells a set as well. If you do not want to wait around to drive her then do it yourself and forget waiting for LOTUS. I will say that I had to cut the fittings off my passenger side oil cooler as well as my friends. No problem doing it just time consuming. There is no way a Lotus tech will spend that time. They will just order a new oil cooler or 2 which will drive up the price. They may even break the coolers in the process and charge the customer for it. There are some quick fixes out there which probably work well but be sure to replace all the fittings. The bright side is your engine should be fine as it looks like it blew while sitting. Best of luck. Tommy
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
tommyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #234 (permalink)

thanks for everyone's quick reply

iambatman: i told them all that they where telling me that my vin doesnt some any recalls i'm like wtf, they say all 05 and 06 elise, he said sorry nothing on ur vin comes up, this is at the lotus dealership

malakaone: i wounder if anyone's elise has been fixed

bman6074: i called that one and thay told me they cant do anything if the lotus dealship says that theirs no recall, i wish when i called lotus usa i got a hold of the person you spoke to cause the person i spoke to was like huh

tommyc: yea i'm going to take the diffuser and see whats going on their

i just dont understand how this hasnt been taken care of or letters wasnt giving to lotus usa and the lotus dealerships to let them know of these problems thats going on, its just a ****in email they can send out its not that hard...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #235 (permalink)

I would call a different dealership or call Lotus HQ back, tell them you just want to check to see if there is a recall on your vehicle and give them your vin number. Don't waste time with telling them any stories.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #236 (permalink)
Mulholland>SCC

If i were you...
I would see post #213 and call the person at the very bottom of the post, Ron Mann.
I would guess that it does not show up under your vin at the dealer because may not have it entered in the system yet because they do not have a widespread fix yet.
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #237 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
If i were you...
I would see post #213 and call the person at the very bottom of the post, Ron Mann.
I would guess that it does not show up under your vin at the dealer because may not have it entered in the system yet because they do not have a widespread fix yet.
i got a phone call from Mr. Mann and he told me that the dealership is right their isnt any recalls but they are taking actions, he told me to bring the car to them and if its that then they will fix it and pay for the towing and if their is any problems to have the dealership to call him... thanks Mr. Mann i guess he's the "Mann"...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #238 (permalink)
Mulholland>SCC

Well, that statement is a contradiction... There is a recall hence the reason they are willing to fix it way out of warranty. Anyhow, I think you are extremely lucky to have that happen with the car parked!
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #239 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
Well, that statement is a contradiction... There is a recall hence the reason they are willing to fix it way out of warranty. Anyhow, I think you are extremely lucky to have that happen with the car parked!
well i actually drove it down the block and herd the cams and i knew it was something with the oil, then the oil light came on, so i just turned back and parked it, thats when it started leaking like crazy! but i'm going to take of the diffuser just to make sure its that which i'm 98% sure it is that...
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #240 (permalink)

Called the 800 number this morning and was thrilled to actually reach a living person, but, of course, she stammered a bit and then transferred me to a manager, voice mail actually. I left word but am not optimistic. I've called before with no call back. How does such customer service, or lack thereof, make me feel? Three guesses.

I am fearful that Lotus is doing nothing because they are unable to. It would not surprise me if we end up having to make this repair at our own expense. In the meantime, no road trips in the Elise; don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere or wrapped around a bridge.

Best regards to all,

Leo
DeathWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls