Evora Stereo System - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunagain View Post
Hi Fasttoys
Nice work - do you have any photos of what you did with the door soundproofing to get rid of the door rattles?
I used a Dynamat competitor product. I applied it all over the plastic piece that the speaker mounts onto and also around the side impact protection beam (since the drivers are immediately in front of them...sought to catch unwanted reflected sound) and a big piece or two on the inside of the outer door skin.

Once the door is apart, it will all just seem obvious.

You will shed a tiny yellow and green tear as you deliberately add weight to your Lotus.
Notorious L.R.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunagain View Post
Hi Fasttoys
Nice work - do you have any photos of what you did with the door soundproofing to get rid of the door rattles?

I have a Pioneer unit like Notorious' which rattles the door. (I have bass coming thru the doors as the alpine sub is pants.) The car is still warrantied so I should be able to get the shop to fit some soundproofing for me if I can point them in the right direction. (The sub being pants appears not to be a warrant item! but may be the rattle is.)

Did you use Dynamat?

BTW with the Pioneer head unit and the factory tech pack Alpine fronts the stereo sounds pretty good to me (rattles aside). I think fixing the rattles will be a big step forward. Eventually I will try a different Sub Amp and maybe even a new sub to take the load off the fronts.
Many thanks!
The speakers need to be removed and the baffles that house the drivers need soundproofing. Once that is done it make a world of difference. + soundproofing inner and outer parts of the door but not the panel itself if you do both the panel & the fiberglass door it will not fit back togeather.
Watch the video (at time point 1.32) Remove the driver from the baffles & add dynamat to them. This will make it stiffer so when the driver hits a lower note it wont viberate. Just doing this alone made the factory driver sound better.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-16-2012 at 04:08 AM.
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 AM   #103 (permalink)

My Evora is a MY2011 S model with full options (factory car) equipped with Alpine IVA-W520R, fixed navigation module (not the IVA-W505R using blackbird), bluetooth module and factory fitted IMPRINT PXA-H100 module.

I didn't notice any difference between "CURVE1" and "CURVE2" on the IMPRINT system, so I decided to buy the Alpine KTX-H100 to measure myself the sound and do my personal curves.

Here is the Imprint module behind the dashboard:

For people who would install Imprint themselves, the "X-OVER" switch is set on "FRONT/REAR/SUB W." and not on "3 WAY" as the 4 front speakers on the Evora are drive with the front line of the head unit.
So the rear RCA outputs of the Imprint module are not connected (as seen on the 1st picture), the front RCA outputs goes back to the head unit and the sub RCA outputs goes to the rear sub amplifier.

It's very easy to connect the microphone and the usb cable and do your own curves. The software tells you to put the mic on different places on the car.
At the end of the process, you can choose between 3 curves :
-linear
-reference (with a little more high frequencies)
-reference with mid-range compensation (like reference with a little more voices frequencies I think)

As you can only save 2 ones, I choose these :

The result is awesome, the 2 curves are really different and I can now hear the sub very clearly.

When Imprint is on and one curve is selected, you can still access to the treble/bass level, the sub level, and the balance/fader.

My preference settings are :
- reference curve
- treble : +0
- bass : +3
- sub : max (+15 I think)
- fader : 3/5 to the rear : when you put the fader to the rear, the sub stays to the same level and it attenuates the main speakers, so it reenforces the sub...

Hope this can help, the KTW-H100 is very cheap and does a very good job!

Sorry if there are some langage mistake, I live in France and learned english at school...
miatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #104 (permalink)

Hmmm... That may explain why my Imprint module was disconnected/not working. I didn't know about the X-Over switch and when I reconnected everything I ended up with only the sub working. Gives me yet another item to fix on my Evora, didn't realize I bought a project car...

-Gil
2011 VW Tiguan
2009 Dodge Sprinter 2500XL Class B Conversion
Sold: Audi A4, '65 Ford Fairlane 500, Passat TDI
ddimensia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #105 (permalink)

miatman: Nice write up - any chance you can show me if the audio cords that are coming out of the Imprint unit are attached to anything?

I added the Imprint unit to the Alpine AI chain but all it did was max the volume and I can't get it to work...

I need to figure this out I want the Imprint working!! lol
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #106 (permalink)

I have the INE-W900 sat nav unit and was getting the same max volume, after doing some poking around I found that there are two switches that have to be toggled on the bottom of the head unit when connecting to the imprint module. After that I was just getting sound from the sub woofer but it may be due to the xover switch not being set on the imprint module.

Can't remember where I dug up the details on the switches under the head unit but you have to pull the head unit to get to them.
2011 VW Tiguan
Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #107 (permalink)

Thanks ddimensia - I'll have to pull it and see if whats what back there.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #108 (permalink)

Forgot to mention that you need to reset the head unit after connecting everything up so that it recognizes that the Imprint module is connected.
2011 VW Tiguan
Old 08-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #109 (permalink)

Garage
Plack. Good to know you can still hear your stereo with the exhaust.
2002 GMC Yukon XL
CABT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #110 (permalink)

I regularly listen to my radio with my windows down
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #111 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I'm inspired to play with the settings again to try to get some sound out of that sub. I'll fade to 3/5ths but do I leave "loudness" on? How about the bypass filter settings? I'm a bit ignorant of those settings' functions.

Edit; Turned on loudness, faded to 3/5ths (nothing) then 100% rear. Sub is switched on with volume at 15. NO Sound whatsoever coming from my sub. None! oh joy...........
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i

Last edited by Lckitty; 08-03-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: mo data
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #112 (permalink)

help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimensia View Post
Hmmm... That may explain why my Imprint module was disconnected/not working. I didn't know about the X-Over switch and when I reconnected everything I ended up with only the sub working. Gives me yet another item to fix on my Evora, didn't realize I bought a project car...

-Gil
I see that you are quite expert. My Evora is a 2010 with IVA-505 and tech pack. All is working but the voice command when I am using the navigation if listening to music. If just navigating voice commands are perfect. I have checked the nav mix setting and it is ok. I can hear the volume of music going down but not voice.
Can you help me? Thanks
mattomu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #113 (permalink)

Garage
Blown fuse in sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lckitty View Post
Well, I'm inspired to play with the settings again to try to get some sound out of that sub. I'll fade to 3/5ths but do I leave "loudness" on? How about the bypass filter settings? I'm a bit ignorant of those settings' functions.

Edit; Turned on loudness, faded to 3/5ths (nothing) then 100% rear. Sub is switched on with volume at 15. NO Sound whatsoever coming from my sub. None! oh joy...........
Just to close this loop.... it turned out that my sub had a short in it and blew its fuse (hence no sound at all). Once replaced it sounded great!
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #114 (permalink)

My car has the Pioneer 930. I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination and am pretty happy with the tech pack sound system. However, it is annoying that they wired the sub into the rear speaker channel as opposed to the dedicated sub output. Anyone know how difficult it would be to switch the sub over to the sub output from the rear channel output on the Pioneer? I would like to filter out much of the bass from the front and send it only to the sub to keep the front speakers from bottoming out. Anyone done this? Any advice on how to get the stock system to sound better in general?
Old 03-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #115 (permalink)

I fixed my own problem. Turns out when no source is selected an option opens up in the av menu that allows you to toggle the rear output from a full spectrum to a sub. Sounds infinitely better. Can rattle the rear view mirror and side views now if you so choose. However, now I have another question. There is a setting in the sub screen that allows you to select a cutoff below which all frequencies are diverted to the sub. However, there is a separate setting for a high pass filter that allows you to select at what point the frequencies above a certain cut off are sent to the full range speakers and not the sub. Are these two settings not redundant ie if the 50 mhz setting is selected on the sub screen wouldn't that necessarily send everything above 50 mhz to the other speakers? A little confused here.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #116 (permalink)

My Evora is equipped with the Alpine INA-W900 unit and IMPRINT. Where is the IMPRINT module mounted behind the dash? How do I reach it?
anthonyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #117 (permalink)

I have a Nakamichi head unit from my previous daily driver that I've been dying to put in the Evora for audiophile grade sound quality purposes, but the only thing holding me back is the fact that I like my backup camera & bluetooth capabilities a lot. It's tough being an audiophile & having to sacrifice other conveniences.
2014 Audi Q5 quattro w/2.0T
2006 BMW 330i Sport
missileman120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #118 (permalink)

Hi

I have the stupid Alpine IVA-W505 in my 2010 Evora. Now I've got the opportunity to get an Alpine INA-W910R for a good price. Would that be an easy replacement using the old connectors?
And is that one any better?
swisssurferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisssurferdude View Post
Hi

I have the stupid Alpine IVA-W505 in my 2010 Evora. Now I've got the opportunity to get an Alpine INA-W910R for a good price. Would that be an easy replacement using the old connectors?
And is that one any better?
98% should be plug & play with the exception of the AMP remote wire if you have the sub in the rear. Very easy install. Once you get the face-plate removed then the head unit pulled out.
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyseven View Post
My Evora is equipped with the Alpine INA-W900 unit and IMPRINT. Where is the IMPRINT module mounted behind the dash? How do I reach it?
Does anyone know where the IMPRINT module is mounted? I have one, and I am considering getting the kit with the microphone to tune the system.

If I can't reach the unit without tearing the dash apart, then I might not get the kit. Anyone know where the IMPRINT module is located on a factory install?
anthonyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora > Evora How-to's